Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lost: B&W F. Polydactyl Cat-Hamilton, ON (Central Mountain) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44837)

Enough99 September 22nd, 2007 10:51 AM

Lost: B&W F. Polydactyl Cat-Hamilton, ON (Central Mountain)

3 Attachment(s)
Missing since Sept. 3, 2007. Hamilton, ON - Central Mountain (Upper Wentworth and Stone Church area). Small (6 lbs) female domestic medium hair indoor cat. Mostly black with white patch on right side of mouth and small white dot on nose. White tuffs under neck, on chest/belly. Has extra thumbs on front paws - looks like mittens. Front paws have white tips. Extra toes on rear paws. Rear legs are white. Declawed and spayed. No microchip or collar. Her name is Freak and is very friendly and affectionate. She comes from a home with a dog and 2 other cats. Reward $200. Please email [email]findfreak@hotmail.com[/email] if you have any information.

Winston September 22nd, 2007 12:14 PM

Hello sorry to hear you have lost your cat....I am sure you have already checked the SPCA...but did you go around the back of the building to Animal Control...they are run totally seprate...I live in the area so will keep an eye out...just remember they usually stay close to home..try putting some food out and a blanket or something on it with your scent...also check your neighbourhood early in the morning...

Good Luck

Cindy

Enough99 October 10th, 2007 08:23 AM

Cat is still missing... so sad.... (sigh)

I just wanted to let everyone know that my cat is still missing. I've had people contact me with various sightings of black and white cats, but unfortunately, none of them was my little sweetie. I do thank everyone for their efforts. Does anyone know how long I should keep hoping and actively looking? At what point should my family just accept it and move on? The regular trips to Animal Control gets really depressing.... especially when you see all the 'throw away' animals. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

want4rain October 10th, 2007 08:29 AM

i think its really up to you. there are some people here who have been looking for their pets for over a year. *shrugs*

i wish you the best on finding her. she is a beautiful kitty. have you tried looking for your local feral colony and calling for her? how did you loose her?

-ashley

Enough99 October 10th, 2007 04:57 PM

I've spent many nights going through the neighborhood and area searching for her between 1 - 5 AM, hoping she'd come out when it's dark and quiet out, but no luck. I've searched back yards, garages and sheds. I'm surprised that I haven't been arrested yet as a nighttime prowler!!! LOL

Freak is an indoor cat and we have 2 other cats and a dog. My oldest cat is 14 and has always been an outdoor cat. I decided to keep the newer 2 cats indoors to make sure that they'd have a long life. What irony! Anyways, we think that Freak got outside unnoticed the evening of Sept. 3rd when either the outdoor cat or dog was let out. Unfortunately, we didn't notice Freak missing until the next morning and my daughter spent all day searching for her. I spend all night looking for her (plus many more nights). We have put up posters everywhere and spoke to many neighbors. We've also been told that there are some wild coyotes in our area and you can imagine the possibilities there.... So, that's the story on how she went missing. I'm just hoping that someone found her and decided to keep her - that she is alright, safe and happy.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Lydia

Winston October 10th, 2007 05:35 PM

Lydia...maybe you could try this too...Put out a box near the house..back door or something...place inside the box some clothing that would have your scent and maybe even Freak's scent on it...Cats are usually close to home..perhaps she is extremely scared and not sure how to fend for herself so they will hide...Dont give up! keep looking...there are some stories people here could tell you where their pets do eventually find their way home! Good Luck...

Cindy

Enough99 October 11th, 2007 10:17 AM

I've already tried the scent and food things. I've pulled out my clothing from my hamper and scattered them around the backyard (neighbours must think I was nuts). We also have a dog and she is outside on leash quite a bit, so the cat should recognize the dog's stronger scent quite easily if the cat were still in the area. The dog has even been left out all night in hopes of luring the cat back when it's quiet and less scary for her. (Don't worry - the dogs loves being outside all night.) I've even tried taking the dog with me on my searches, hoping the dog would be able to find the cat, but my dog is no "Lassie" and the cat is still missing. As for the food - squirrels really like kibble!

Freak managed to get outside once before and was out all night. When I let the dog outside into the backyard the next morning, Freak came running to the door from under the BBQ cover where she had been hiding, so I really think that if she were in the area, she would be brave enough to come out if she heard me or the dog. I really think that either she got so spooked, that she ran out of the yard, got disoriented, and got herself further lost and is wandering far from her home area, or has been kept by some family, or has met an early end to her life, though Animal Control had not picked up any dead cats matching her description.

Years ago I took in a lost cat and fostered it for over a month before I could locate the owner. It turned out that this cat had been missing for over 3 months (indoor cat that got out during the craziness of a family funeral and wasn't missed for a while). This cat was really outside it's home area, so the SPCA at the time wouldn't connect me with the owner as they deemed the areas too far apart. The owner finally saw and responded to one of my newspaper ads on the "off chance". So the point of my story is that I'm hoping that someone has my Freak, but doesn't realize that it's my cat because they are out of the Hamilton Central Mountain area.

Love4himies October 11th, 2007 11:41 AM

I would not quite looking, some people have found their cats in their own back yard a month or so after they have gotten lost.

I think the box idea with some items of the cat's/your scent is still an option you should be trying, and checking early morning each day. A box is a safe haven for her and she more likely will stay in one place if she feels safe.

want4rain October 11th, 2007 01:00 PM

some have even had them mysteriously show up, in the middle of the city... after being gone months. keep your chin up and keep looking! maybe rotate a different shirt nightly or pick two nights a week to save on clothing wear and tear. :) spend some time on the back porch and front porch just drinking a beer and chatting. never know!!

-ashley

Enough99 October 11th, 2007 06:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will put out a box with some worn clothing. I especially like the idea of sitting outside drinking beer!!! I will definately try to be outside more often - it's worth a shot.

Enough99 October 26th, 2007 10:11 AM

Cat is still missing... so sad.... (sigh)

My cat is still missing. Please keep an eye out for her.

There are only 2 things good that have resulted from my cat going missing - all the nice people I've met and I'm adopting a stray young male that is similar in appearance to my missing cat. Now he won't have to experience his first Canadian winter outdoors and he will hopefully have a longer and better life than if left in the wild on the streets.

Lydia