Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Hydroponics Static Solution Culture (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68631)

luckypenny February 23rd, 2010 10:15 PM

Hydroponics Static Solution Culture

2 Attachment(s)
:D I just call it starting seed but Sandman insists I use the correct term.

Here are a few pics of his new found hobby.

All he needed to start was an aquarium, styrofoam, tinfoil, plastic cups, vermiculite, perlite, a perforated tube, air pump, and a grow lamp. He also chooses to test the pH (oy, he had to correct that, "it's a CAPITAL H mom" :laughing: ) level of the water.

How it looks put together.

[ATTACH]62617[/ATTACH]

The top view. He used a knife to cut out holes in the styrofoam...what a mess!

[ATTACH]62618[/ATTACH]

luckypenny February 23rd, 2010 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Front view. He used his dad's drill :rolleyes: to put holes into the plastic cups. He has to fill the tank up with more water so they're closer to the grow lamp.

[ATTACH]62619[/ATTACH]

We welcomed Roman Chamomile who was born sometime during the day yesterday :stork-baby: :D.

[ATTACH]62620[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack February 23rd, 2010 10:25 PM

Congrats on the new sprout! :highfive:

Man, that's a weird looking set-up, though! What's the foil do? :confused: And do you add nutrients to the water then?

luckypenny February 23rd, 2010 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;888448]Congrats on the new sprout! :highfive:

Man, that's a weird looking set-up, though! What's the foil do? :confused: And do you add nutrients to the water then?[/QUOTE]

Oops, forgot about the nutrients :o. I'll get Sandman on to explain it, it is [I]his[/I] hobby :rolleyes: :D.

the sandman February 23rd, 2010 10:33 PM

The foil is to keep sunlight out of the water, since direct light would promote algae growth, which is obviously bad for the plants. I do use a nutrient solution as well, it is PureBlend Pro Grow from BotaniCare, it is 3-2-4, mainly used for herbs and such.

luckypenny February 23rd, 2010 10:35 PM

So why is the grow light ok and not sunlight :confused:?

hazelrunpack February 23rd, 2010 10:36 PM

Won't the grow light promote algae growth, too? (Can you tell I have no idea how they grow stuff hydroponically? :o I've always wanted to grow my own hydroponic tomatoes, though :D)

the sandman February 23rd, 2010 10:39 PM

Since the StyroFoam is partially in the way, and also since the light is fluorescant, it's not the same as direct sunlight.

hazelrunpack February 23rd, 2010 10:43 PM

Ooooohhh...that makes sense.

I'm excited to see how well your herbs grow, sandman! :goodvibes: I wonder how big a set-up I'd need for a tomato plant? I suspect it would have to be bigger than one for Roman Chamomile? :o

luckypenny February 23rd, 2010 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;888459]Ooooohhh...that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Really? I'm lost :laughing:.

Sandman, if you just covered the lower part of the aquarium, like below the level of the styrofoam, would that still be ok?

luckypenny February 23rd, 2010 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;888459]I wonder how big a set-up I'd need for a tomato plant? I suspect it would have to be bigger than one for Roman Chamomile? :o[/QUOTE]

You can use a regular plastic pail for plants like tomatoes. Sandman wanted to use an aquarium so we could see the root growth.

hazelrunpack February 23rd, 2010 10:57 PM

What's the tubing for underneath?

hazelrunpack February 23rd, 2010 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=luckypenny;888463]You can use a regular plastic pail for plants like tomatoes. Sandman wanted to use an aquarium so we could see the root growth.[/QUOTE]
Really? :eek: Hmmmm....I'm gonna have to look into this. Imagine--homegrown tomatoes in the middle of winter! :flirt:

luckypenny February 23rd, 2010 11:06 PM

Sandman went to bed...he reminded me it was past his bedtime :o. I'm such a bad mom :D.

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;888465]What's the tubing for underneath?[/QUOTE]

It's a perforated tube, kinda spongy like, that the air pump pushes air through to oxygenate the water. We picked the pump and the tubing up in the fish department of a pet supply store.

hazelrunpack February 23rd, 2010 11:13 PM

Oooooohhhh.... I didn't realize you had to oxygenate the water....but that makes sense, too! :o

Absolutely ingenious! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper February 24th, 2010 01:16 AM

Cool setup it'll be neat to see the roots :cool: Yay little sprout :highfive:

Chris21711 March 19th, 2010 09:09 AM

I can't believe I missed this thread :o

I'm a huge fan of homegrown hydroponics :o

Such a neat project Sandman, please keep us updated, so interesting :thumbs up

Note to Mum: Being in the Furniture Refinishing business for 25 years, those little bottles of different solution that are sitting on the table.....careful that a drip or two does not remove the finish on the table top.

Frenchy March 19th, 2010 10:40 AM

We need a picture update please :D

hazelrunpack March 19th, 2010 11:51 AM

Yes, please! How are the little sprouts doing? Have they got names, yet? :D

Dog Dancer March 19th, 2010 12:54 PM

Very cool hobby Sandman. How are the little green sprouts doing? Ho Ho Ho... Green Giant (please somebody remember that commercial... :o)

BenMax March 19th, 2010 01:56 PM

Well that looks almost good enough to sniff LP!:laughing:

Frenchy March 19th, 2010 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;898231]Very cool hobby Sandman. How are the little green sprouts doing? Ho Ho Ho... Green Giant (please somebody remember that commercial... :o)[/QUOTE]

:laughing: I do I do :eek:

luckypenny March 19th, 2010 06:59 PM

It is with great sadness that we regret to inform you of little RC's untimely passing due to a tragic drowning :(. Sandman tried his best to resuscitate but it was not meant to be :cry:.

:rip: RC :candle:

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you plant a seed in his memory.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Yellow"]And in honor of RC's short, but memorable life, Sandman will renew his project using expanded clay pebbles to prevent such an accident from recurring [/COLOR]:rolleyes:.[/SIZE]

hazelrunpack March 19th, 2010 07:08 PM

Arrrggghhhhh! :yell: I feel so sorry for the family :cry:

At least RC gave his (her?) life to the cause of science and further botanical glory! :angel:

:candle: Roman C