Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   What to feed for chicken allergy??? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38853)

charmarsh April 6th, 2007 04:01 PM

What to feed for chicken allergy???

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and am learning so much! This is my problem: Have a maltipoo puppy who is licking genitals after urinating. The vet said that she did have some puppy vaginitis going on, but nothing to treat it. He said it's very common in female pups. I noticed her doing this when we first brought her home, she was eating Nutro Puppy Chicken (pet store made me buy it ). I immediately switched her over to Solid Gold's Hundenflocken (Lamb). I noticed her licking stopped completely and her coat looked and felt great, however, her stools were very soft. I then switched her to Natures' Logic w/Chicken and the licking began again. I have decided that maybe she has a chicken allergy. Now on Canidae Lamb & Rice and stools are firm and licking has been better but still some here and there. I noticed her coat is not as soft as when she was on the Solid Gold. Any idea's of what I could get her on that will eliminate the licking and give her a nice healthy coat?? No sure why her stools were so soft on Solid Gold.

Skryker April 6th, 2007 04:10 PM

With the holistic foods, there can be a "detox" phase when you switch over-that might be the soft stool issue with the Solid Gold. It's usually recommended to do a gradual change over by mixing the old and new foods for awhile-you slowly add the new food into the old food gradually increasing the amount. Did you do a cold turkey switch everytime?

The Canidae is a good food, too, though, and if she is doing generally well on it maybe leave it for now and let her fully adjust to it before trying another food.

I don't know what the ingredients of the Nature's Logic are, but is it possible that it is a grain or corn allergy instead of a poultry allergy?

rainbow April 6th, 2007 04:15 PM

How long did you have her on the Solid Gold? Solid Gold is a lot better food than Nutro and because it was the first switch to a more premium/holistic food it would take 3 to 4 months for her system to adjust.

Skryker April 6th, 2007 04:21 PM

Oh, here's the Nature's Logic ingredients-I didn't realize which food this was:[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]

Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat, [COLOR="Red"]Montmorillonite:eek: , Brewer’s Yeast[/COLOR], Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Spray Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkin Seed, [COLOR="Red"]Animal Plasma[/COLOR]:eek: , Kelp,[COLOR="Red"] Natural Flavor[/COLOR], Cottage Cheese, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Egg Shell, Avocado, Chicory Root, Tomato Powder, Almonds, Spray Dried Cod Liver Oil, Apple Powder, Blueberry, Apricots, Carrots, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Sporogenes Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Enzymes (Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Cellulase, Bromelain), Mixed Tocopherols.

The ingredients that I highlighted in red are ones that I would consider questionable, IMO, for various reasons. I'd give this one a miss, personally.

This thread: [URL="http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30791&highlight=Montmorillonite"]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30791&highlight=Montmorillonite[/URL]
is one where we talked about this food. :o

Skryker April 6th, 2007 04:25 PM

Oh, and you could give her Salmon Oil or canned Salmon to help her coat-you wouldn't need very much for such a little girl!

And probiotics might help with the itchies, if it's an overgrowth of yeast.

:o I've learned ALOT here, myself, in just over a year. Keep looking, there's lots of good info here. :thumbs up

charmarsh April 6th, 2007 04:59 PM

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I did a cold turkey switch and probably didn't leave her on the Solid Gold long enough maybe 2 weeks. I bought a bag of it again today and thought that maybe I would slowly reintroduce it to her mixed w/the Canidae. Maybe if I do it slowly, her stools will not be so soft. Just let her out and still licking herself. Has been on Canidae for about 1 week. I am probably just too impatient and expecting a result overnight! I will try the salmon oil too. Thanks!

charmarsh April 6th, 2007 11:21 PM

Ok, I just read the thread on the Nature's Logic!! :yuck: The girl at the store said that it was really good food and it's really expensive, so I just assumed that it was a quality food. I have my older yorkiepoo on it: eek: Needless to say I will be getting him off of it! Any suggestions? He's really gassy w/Lamb but does well w/chicken. Had him on Innova Regular and the EVO before but was worried about such high protein for such a small breed and not very active. That food also gave him bad gas. How about the Solid Gold's Wee Bit?

Prin April 6th, 2007 11:24 PM

Wow, yes, you are being too impatient! A week is not long enough at all! The [I]switch[/I] should take about a week...

charmarsh April 7th, 2007 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=Prin;405432]Wow, yes, you are being too impatient! A week is not long enough at all! The [I]switch[/I] should take about a week...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I decided that I would [U]slowly[/U] reintroduce the Hundenflocken or possibly Wee Bit. She really looked great on the Solid Gold. I am curious about the Wee Bit as I don't know much about the Bison. She's not too interested in the Lamb and keeps sneaking over to my other dog's food which is chicken and I think she may have an allergy to that! Maybe she will like the Bison better. It would be nice if I could get them both on the same thing. My older dog has no allergies that I know of. What's your thought's Prin?

Any advice is welcome!!! Thanks Again

Prin April 7th, 2007 12:11 AM

Wee bit is better, IMO... But I'd wait at least a couple more weeks before adding anything into the Canidae... She has to really get used to the canidae before you start adding anything or you could end up with a digestive mess.:o

Skryker April 7th, 2007 06:10 PM

Same thing goes for switching the older guy-slow switch and it may take awhile to "detox"- so things might not be too firm for a bit. :o

I agree with Prin about the pup-let her get well adjusted to the Canidae before making any other changes to her diet right now. Easier on her system and easier for you to be sure what she might be sensitive to.

Good luck! :goodvibes: :fingerscr

charmarsh April 7th, 2007 10:28 PM

Thanks! I will definitely switch slowly. I brought home some Solid Gold's Wee Bit today and just gave a few pieces to see if they liked it. Boy they loved it!! They were begging for more and sniffing the bag. My older boy has never seemed that interested in his food before, he's very picky. Will start slowly mixing this w/his right away but still have more than 1/2 bag of Canidae left, so will let the puppy finish that and then will slowly mix in some Wee Bit and hopefully it will work for both! :fingerscr

rainbow April 7th, 2007 10:33 PM

I figured you were switching too fast before. Glad your doggies like the SG Wee Bits. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Prin April 9th, 2007 01:29 AM

Good luck! I hope everything works out. :goodvibes:

charmarsh April 9th, 2007 09:52 PM

Thanks everyone! Right now we are just waiting it out. Puppy seems to be doing pretty good on the Canidae. Not as much licking and I noticed that her tearing has cleared up alot! Coat still feels kind of dry, but am looking for some salmon oil or something to add to her food to help.

Prin April 10th, 2007 12:14 AM

I use this: [url]http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicvetnx/products/biofats.htm[/url]