Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Tech talk (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   I Need Help Again (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66774)

rainbow November 14th, 2009 11:17 PM

I Need Help Again

I had Avast AV on my computer and got an email to install the latest version. As per their instructions, I uninstalled the previous one but now there is no way I can get the new version to install. I have tried half a dozen times from a couple of different websites but it does not work. :wall:

It downloads alright but will not install and I keep getting this message ...

"Setup could not determine the feature control file or was not able to read it correctly".

Am I doing something wrong and how can I get it to install? :frustrated:

pbpatti November 14th, 2009 11:22 PM

I don't know alot about computers but could you try to reinstall the old one then install the new one then uninstall the old one??? Does that make any sense?:rolleyes:

rainbow November 14th, 2009 11:27 PM

But why would it say to uninstall the old one before I install the new one? :confused:

pbpatti November 14th, 2009 11:29 PM

Remember I am not a comp geek, I think that sometimes there is something that the new "grabs" from the old one first???? Shows the new one that this is an update with a new version????

rainbow November 14th, 2009 11:33 PM

Thanks, patti ....I'll go try that. :)

I am such a :loser:

pbpatti November 14th, 2009 11:36 PM

Hope it works. Sure worth a try anyway. Good Luck

hazelrunpack November 14th, 2009 11:43 PM

Good luck! [size=1]*sigh*[/size] Computers! :wall:

hazelrunpack November 14th, 2009 11:44 PM

Um...rainbow...how did the avast people get your email?

rainbow November 14th, 2009 11:51 PM

It didn't work. :yell:

I got this message ...

"There was an error completing the setup process". :frustrated:

rainbow November 14th, 2009 11:52 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;849111]Um...rainbow...how did the avast people get your email?[/QUOTE]

Cuz I gave it to them so they could notify me of the updates. :o

pbpatti November 14th, 2009 11:54 PM

Too bad, I have no other ideas for you so I guess you will have to wait for someone with more knowledge. :sad:

rainbow November 14th, 2009 11:59 PM

Thanks for your help, patti :grouphug: ....I have the worst luck when it comes to computers. :frustrated:

pbpatti November 15th, 2009 12:01 AM

me too, I always call "my guy" for help.

rainbow November 15th, 2009 12:03 AM

I thought maybe there was some leftovers on the computer so just did a search on the comp for any files/folders with the name avast or avira and nothing came up so why can't I get it to install? :confused:

rainbow November 15th, 2009 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=pbpatti;849128]me too, I always call "my guy" for help.[/QUOTE]

LOL ....well "my guy" is more clueless about computers than I am. :rolleyes:

pbpatti November 15th, 2009 12:04 AM

What is Avast?

rainbow November 15th, 2009 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=pbpatti;849134]What is Avast?[/QUOTE]

It's a freebie antivirus that is supposed to be highly recommended.

pbpatti November 15th, 2009 12:14 AM

I see, pretty important to have around. So will it let you upload/reinstall the old one?

rainbow November 15th, 2009 12:23 AM

[QUOTE=pbpatti;849139]I see, pretty important to have around. So will it let you upload/reinstall the old one?[/QUOTE]

Nope, this was the message I got ...

[QUOTE=rainbow;849114]It didn't work. :yell:

I got this message ...

"There was an error completing the setup process". :frustrated:[/QUOTE]

hazelrunpack November 15th, 2009 12:28 AM

[QUOTE=rainbow;849117]Cuz I gave it to them so they could notify me of the updates. :o[/QUOTE]
Oh, whew! I was afraid it was a phishing message to trick you into getting rid of your antivirus so it could attack. :o

So when you uninstalled the old Avast, were there any apparent problems? When you go into control panel, is it still listed as a program?

pbpatti November 15th, 2009 12:30 AM

I just googled Avast maybe this one will download for you.

[url]http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html[/url]

rainbow November 15th, 2009 12:40 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;849147]
So when you uninstalled the old Avast, were there any apparent problems? When you go into control panel, is it still listed as a program?[/QUOTE]

No problems at all with uninstalling and it is not listed in the CP as a program. I also have done a search for file/folders ....

[QUOTE=rainbow;849132]I thought maybe there was some leftovers on the computer so just did a search on the comp for any files/folders with the name avast or avira and nothing came up so why can't I get it to install? :confused:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pbpatti;849149]I just googled Avast maybe this one will download for you.

[url]http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks patti but that's one of the sites I've already tried.

hazelrunpack November 15th, 2009 12:45 AM

Does your machine have any other antivirus or antispyware running? Is it possible that one of the other programs is interfering with the installation of Avast?

rainbow November 15th, 2009 12:51 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;849155]Does your machine have any other antivirus or antispyware running? Is it possible that one of the other programs is interfering with the installation of Avast?[/QUOTE]

No other antivirus programs but do have antispyware and a firewall but they were there before I downloaded the last version of Avast and they never caused any problem.

hazelrunpack November 15th, 2009 12:58 AM

Have you ever tried AVG? It used to run big and slow my old machine down, though...not sure if it would run okay for you or not :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper November 15th, 2009 02:48 AM

[QUOTE=rainbow;849087]"Setup could not determine the feature control file or was not able to read it correctly".[/QUOTE]

Sounds like their new version is missing a file. :shrug: Do they have an email addy for questions/concerns that you could email them for help with their new version?

growler~GateKeeper November 15th, 2009 02:54 AM

Did you restart the computer after you uninstalled it from control panel?

Seems like you are not the only one with this problem, and this is not the first time they've had this problem/message come up with new versions. There was a forum thread from 07 with similiar issues and this one [url]http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=345009[/url] from 09 describing the problem you are having.

Apparently you need to download, unzip & run their registry cleaner first then & install the new version. Registry cleaner link is in the one above

rainbow November 15th, 2009 05:51 PM

After trying everything Avira and Avast still will not install. :wall:

AVG is too much of a resource hog for me to try again. :o

PCTools is the other one I had before but I got rid of it because it kept closing on me and not responding. :frustrated:

I am now going to try the new one out ....Microsoft Security Essentials and hopefully that will work. :fingerscr The reviews from CNet and other sites sound alright but then again it's a Microsoft product. :rolleyes:

Wish me luck. :D

rainbow November 15th, 2009 06:56 PM

Well Microsoft Security Essentials downloaded and installed with no problems. :thumbs up Now I just hope that it proves to be one of Microsoft's better products. :fingerscr

I think I'll start another thread to see if anyone else here has installed it or has opinions. :D

Buggabooak November 15th, 2009 09:52 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow;849404]Well Microsoft Security Essentials downloaded and installed with no problems. :thumbs up Now I just hope that it proves to be one of Microsoft's better products. :fingerscr

I think I'll start another thread to see if anyone else here has installed it or has opinions. :D[/QUOTE]

:sorry:My computer is slow too.Computers these days:wall:.My computer gonna be uninsalled for vista:fingerscr:needhug:go :usa: