Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Problems (technical) with the bulletin board or the site (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Pets.ca Pop-Ups and Freezing (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44161)

mummummum August 30th, 2007 11:17 AM

Pets.ca Pop-Ups and Freezing

Is it my ancient, finicky pc (10/11 yr old IBM Aptiva) or is it the site? I don't know, but maybe you do.

My pc freezes whenever an "almost pop-up" occurs. By "almost pop-up" I mean that [I][U]despite [/U][/I]activating Googles' pop-up blocking mechanism I sometimes but not always, still get the outer frame and a brief glimpse of the header of the pop-up. The whole site then freezes with the almost pop-up frame. When I attempt to end the task through close program, it freezes as well. I can go into my yahoo or sympatico and then come back into pets.ca but in order to get rid of the first pets.ca (or access any links to external websites while in the second pets.ca) I have to shut down using control-alt-del. I should note that this freezing also happens when I allow pop-ups. This only happens with pets.ca !

It's an annoyance !

marko August 31st, 2007 08:11 AM

Sorry for your troubles mumx3:sad:

[QUOTE]Is it my ancient, finicky pc (10/11 yr old IBM Aptiva) or is it the site? I don't know, but maybe you do.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest that it's the Aptiva (wow I haven't even heard that name in a long while)

What Operating system are you using?

and are other users experiencing crashes?

Personally this has never happened to me or anyone I know and I have tested our site on many different computers on many different platforms.

Thanks

marko

Lukka'sma August 31st, 2007 08:29 AM

It has happened to me too. Not every time I log in but frequently. I don't have a new computer by the longest stretch of the imagination but it's OK for now. Running windows me. I often find that I freeze up more often when logging off a forum so I tend to just stay logged in even when I'm not on that site.

mummummum August 31st, 2007 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=marko;471776]... Aptiva (wow I haven't even heard that name in a long while)[/QUOTE]

Yes, well Ceili's right leg TPLO is my Macbook :rolleyes: ...and you don't want to know what my vacuum is :D :D :D

[QUOTE=marko;471776]
What Operating system are you using? [/QUOTE]

It's DOS. I'm not techno-savvy enough to install and run Linux I'm afraid. Running Windows 97. I don't have enough memory to install X-whatchamacallit.

[QUOTE=marko;471776]I would suggest that it's the Aptiva (wow I haven't even heard that name in a long while)[/QUOTE]

I suspected that would be the verdict. I just thought it's curious that I don't have this issue elsewhere. Personally, I think the thing my finicky old gal can't handle are the ads you have at the top of the screen. It seems the more animated they are, the more I have difficulty.

marko August 31st, 2007 01:45 PM

I'm sorry for the trouble mumx3 - it's a balance.
The ads help pay the costs....
Unfortunately (and this is NOT a cop-out on my part) I think you're having a lot of extra trouble because you are using a really old OS on an older computer. Most people can block the ads or ignore them without too much hassle...

Marko

marko December 20th, 2007 04:40 PM

I forget exactly when, but all pop up ads were removed from pets.ca as of about 2 months ago.

Thx

Marko