Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ask your pet insurance questions (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81395)

marko June 20th, 2012 01:42 PM

Ask your pet insurance questions

Hi members,

Petsecure.com pet insurance and Pets.ca would like to write a frank 'your questions answered' article about pet insurance.

Do any members have any pet insurance questions that they would like answered?

Thx in advance!

Rgeurts June 20th, 2012 02:02 PM

I would like to know why they can't give a definitive answer on what would be considered an issue stemming from a congenital illness, which they don't cover. But when I spoke with the rep on the phone all he could tell me when I gave scenarios is that he "thought" it would be covered but couldn't say for sure until it went through the claims process.

They need to have a list of things that would be considered congenital so people can make an informed decision on which plan, or even which company they would like to go with.

marko June 20th, 2012 03:36 PM

Thx Rgeurts! Will do

Barkingdog June 20th, 2012 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=marko;1041925]Hi members,

Petsecure.com pet insurance and Pets.ca would like to write a frank 'your questions answered' article about pet insurance.

Do any members have any pet insurance questions that they would like answered?

Thx in advance![/QUOTE]

If a pet has an pre-existing illness will they cover the vet bills ? I know some insurance companies for people will not cover a person pre-existing illness , is this the same with pets?

Longblades June 20th, 2012 07:54 PM

Do F1 hybrids and/or mixed breed dogs pay lower premiums for the same coverage than purebred dogs? If so, what checks are made on the purebred or not status? And what data is there to back up the lower premiums charged?

marko June 21st, 2012 08:20 AM

these are all good questions - and I too have a few that I might add

- When is the best time to get pet insurance?
- Which are the cheapest dog breeds to insure? what are the most expensive? Does it even work that way?
- Are purebreds more expensive to insure than mixes?
- Are indoor cats cheaper to insure than outdoor cats?
- If my cat or dog is clumsy and needs frequent vet care will rates go up?

Thanks all - I'll likely pass these off by the end of today so any last minute questions would be great. Thanks!!

Rgeurts June 21st, 2012 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=marko;1041968]these are all good questions - and I too have a few that I might add

- Which are the cheapest dog breeds to insure? what are the most expensive? Does it even work that way?
- [B][U]If my cat or dog is clumsy and needs frequent vet care will rates go up?[/U][/B]
Thanks all - I'll likely pass these off by the end of today so any last minute questions would be great. Thanks!![/QUOTE]

I can answer the question in bold for ya!! If your pet has what they consider frequent claims, the the co-pay portion will increase to a maximum of 50% (with the same premium... they don't lower it), and I'm pretty sure he said they will also increase the deductible... but I can't be certain.

Barkingdog June 21st, 2012 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=marko;1041968]these are all good questions - and I too have a few that I might add

- If my cat or dog is clumsy and needs frequent vet care will rates go up?

Thanks all - I'll likely pass these off by the end of today so any last minute questions would be great. Thanks!![/QUOTE]

What about service dogs , would they get a discount? I was about to get a grant for my hearing dog but it only covered emergency vet care.

Koteburo June 21st, 2012 09:21 PM

Why petsecure doesn't have a special deal for 2 cats. I heard only for 3 and up :cry:

Choochi June 21st, 2012 09:54 PM

Are there any exemptions in coverages for working and sporting/competition dogs as opposed to dogs that are just pets? (dogs participating in high risk activities, protection sports)
Does the spay/neuter status affect rates/coverage?
Does the age when the dog was spayed/neutered affect rates/coverage?

Barkingdog June 21st, 2012 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=Koteburo;1041997]Why petsecure doesn't have a special deal for 2 cats. I heard only for 3 and up :cry:[/QUOTE]

Some vets will give you a discount if you have two pets.

marko June 22nd, 2012 08:47 AM

Thanks so much for the questions everyone!

dogs July 9th, 2012 08:11 PM

Pet insurance

Most pet insurance companies if not all do not provide cover for pre-existing illnesses. My question is about the skin, is my dog has had a skin infection and the skin condition is diagnosed will he be protected from any new skin conditions that appear and are different have a different illness name?

Barkingdog July 10th, 2012 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=dogs;1042823]Most pet insurance companies if not all do not provide cover for pre-existing illnesses. My question is about the skin, is my dog has had a skin infection and the skin condition is diagnosed will he be protected from any new skin conditions that appear and are different have a different illness name?[/QUOTE]

My dog has bronchitis so I guess he would not be covered for that.
He get S O B very easy.

Ben10 July 30th, 2012 09:06 AM

Help!!!

I'm new here and have a very important question. My dog is 22 months old, pitbull/mastif mix. he's been in the animal hospital for 5 days now after falling desperately ill and has be diagnosed with glomerulonephritis. is there a pet insurance that will cover him with this pre-existing condition or are my options really find money or your dog dies? :cry:

marko July 30th, 2012 09:41 AM

This is a good question Ben but every insurance company is different and insurance policies are not easy documents to know by heart. You'll have to contact insurance companies in your area.

This thread was meant to produce an article and the questions have already been submitted. This thread will now be closed.
Thx - Marko