Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   "Fantasy" trip to the Butcher...Your 'Top 10' items (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67193)

WinstonsDad December 6th, 2009 10:44 PM

"Fantasy" trip to the Butcher...Your 'Top 10' items

As a new member and new to the idea of feeding RAW, I have been able to find a long list of advice and foods to feed...but it's all over the place, in so many different threads, so...

If you could visit one Butcher/Grocery store to find all that you needed, assuming the price point was in the ballpark (Free - $1.50/lb), what would you pick up for your dog or cat???

Please include things other than meat, bones, organs, tripe and fish, if you feel they are an important key to your diet, like supplements, etc...
With meat, bones, organs and fish, please specify the cuts and types that fit the ideal balance (60-20-10 or 80-10-10)

Cheers :)

I hope that this thread is alright with the Mods !?

luckypenny December 6th, 2009 11:14 PM

1. Whole chickens cut in half (legs and thighs removed for the humans' meals)...air chilled, [I]not[/I] water chilled.

2. Chicken livers, hearts, giblets.

3. Huge chunk of beef (comes in about 5 kg pieces)...inside round or chuck.

4. Veal liver, kidney, heart, sweetbread, brain :o.

5. Long meaty beef ribs.

6. Pork neck, shoulder, etc....any large relatively lean piece of pork.

7. Long meaty pork ribs

8. Frozen sardines/mackerel

9. Eggs

10. [B]Green[/B] tripe.

Once in a while we feed other stuff as snacks or Kong stuffers but the above is pretty much their main meals.

Supplements aren't necessary if you're feeding a variety of meats and organs. No point in buying veggies specifically for your pets. Just throw half a handful of whatever you have in the fridge into a juicer or blender and add to meat once or twice a week.

So many factors influence prices. Your location (I think meat is a lot cheaper in the States than in Canada), quality, and where you make your purchases ie. grocery store, poultry store, markets, butchers, wholesale distributors, farmers, etc..

WinstonsDad December 9th, 2009 11:50 AM

Thanks LuckyPenny !

That's a very informative and helpful list. Hopefully others will chime in as well, for all of us newbs.

Cheers

cassiek December 11th, 2009 12:27 AM

Yes, thank you luckypenny! :D

Even though there is TONS of info on this forum in regards to what raw food owners use, it's nice to have it all in one place for easy reference & to get ideas for us newbies to raw!! :)

I also hope others post what they use to make up most of their dogs raw diet!!

Phoebespeople December 12th, 2009 11:03 AM

1. Whole stewing chickens
2. Turkey necks
3. Beef heart
4. pork shoulder
5. Chicken liver
6. Beef liver
7. Beef kidney
8. Whole duck
9. Leg of lamb
10. Green lamb tripe

Eggs, sardines, salmon oil, kelp/alfalfa powder, and veggie puree are the rest of Phoebe's diet, but they aren't in the butcher shop.