Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Water Gardening!!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17441)

Copper'sMom July 17th, 2005 07:07 PM

Water Gardening!!!

Hello All!
I love gardening but haven't done so for a few years as we rent. Our property is extremely sandy so I haven't done much because, it seems the plants I like don't do so well in the sand and it's extremely hard to water them if need be (because of the sand and extremely poor water pressure)!!
So this year, I took a part time job at a Water Garden Center. I absolutely loved it!!!! And now I have a new hobby!!! :D
I bought a preformed pond and a foamy fountain and they are displayed on my deck! This is great for everyone and believe it or not, it's extremely low maintenance if done correctly!
If you don't have room for a pond OR don't have the money, you can have water containers displaying plants. They are simple to create and just beautiful to look at!!
I'll post pics of my little oasis on Monday! It's almost complete- I need a few more rocks for my fountain and one large papyrus!!So to all you gardeners out there...............ya gotta try water gardening! I highly recommend it!!

pags July 17th, 2005 08:18 PM

It sounds great and I can't wait to see pictures!! I've wanted to try this for a while as we don't have a large enough yard for a pond or anything -- but I love to add as many water features out there as possible ... it makes it seem cooler somehow on those unbearably hot summer days. I'm glad you're doing it -- and so this means if I do try to start I have somebody to pester with questions!! Woohooo!!! :D

lilith_rizel July 18th, 2005 11:09 AM

Uhmmm, I would love to know what exactly this is....... I have never heard of it. And I might want to do it one day.......

doggy lover July 18th, 2005 11:25 AM

I have a pond but no plants in it as Tucker is always in it when we are at the cottage. I just have plants around it where he can't reach. Water is very calming. We also put trout in our pond in the spring for my husband, he loves trout.

BMDLuver July 18th, 2005 12:50 PM

We were out for lunch the other day and someone was mentioning a pond designed to swim in. It sounded neat and different from putting in a concrete type pool, more natural looking. Does the water garden place do those?

Copper'sMom July 18th, 2005 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=BMDLuver]We were out for lunch the other day and someone was mentioning a pond designed to swim in. It sounded neat and different from putting in a concrete type pool, more natural looking. Does the water garden place do those?[/QUOTE]

Not the place I worked at. But the owners have just retired and they have one pond that they are turning into a pool for therapy! I imagine you can do this with most ponds if they don't contain fish. There are no chemicals in the water so it would be safe. You may be swimming with the frogs though! :yuck:

Sorry, the pics I took didn't turn out so well so I'll have to take more and try again! It's hard to capture the real beauty of water gardening on camera!

Dogastrophe July 18th, 2005 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=Copper'sMom]Hello All!
I love gardening but haven't done so for a few years as we rent. Our property is extremely sandy so I haven't done much because, it seems the plants I like don't do so well in the sand and it's extremely hard to water them if need be (because of the sand and extremely poor water pressure)!!
[/QUOTE]

Sand .... I wish I had sand. I will trade you three truck loads of rock for three loads of sand!

Here in Halifax, the builders like to use the rock that they blast / hammer out of the foundation hole to level the front and back yards. They toss a one inch skim of topsoil on it, then sod. Makes for some lovely digging whenever you want to plant shrubs and trees. Would have to dig for weeks to get to a decent depth for a water feature :sad:

Copper'sMom July 18th, 2005 02:05 PM

Dogastrophe, do you have grass? We have a little amongst all the weeds(weeds will grow in anything)!! And any grass we do try to grow, it gets ripped up by the dogs because it doesn't get rooted good enough! I have kissed lush green grass goodbye until we move! :( Wow, I miss having grass!!

hmmm rocks? I've been looking for some for my one water feature! No rocks in sand land!! lol Think of it this way, your house would be much much much cleaner without sand.....trust me!

Dogastrophe July 18th, 2005 02:12 PM

I do have grass but only due to ripping up the entire lawn last year and re-seeding - prior to that I had a healthy weed farm. Now I have the green with brown-crop-circle patterned stuff. :)

Copper'sMom July 18th, 2005 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=Dogastrophe]Now I have the green with brown-crop-circle patterned stuff. :)[/QUOTE]

Those damn aliens!!!!! LOL
[img]http://bestsmileys.com/aliens/11.gif[/img][img]http://bestsmileys.com/aliens/8.gif[/img]

Copper'sMom July 19th, 2005 10:38 AM

Pictures!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics! Some are ok, some not so great - crappy digital!!

Copper'sMom July 19th, 2005 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Rock fountain!

Copper'sMom July 19th, 2005 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooohh, one of my favorite plants, a Red Stemmed Taro. Looks like the plant Elephant Leaf

Copper'sMom July 19th, 2005 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The white flower is a Zepher Lily. Quite dainty looking

Copper'sMom July 19th, 2005 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My pond with water fountain! A little blurry. I have a miniature water lily too! I'll post a pic when it blooms!

Copper'sMom July 20th, 2005 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my miniature water lily aka Helvola Pygmy!! It's a beautiful yellow colour although this pic doesn't show it well!! But the 2nd pic does, but it's a little blurry!

pags July 20th, 2005 11:39 AM

Oh my goodness I LOVE it. I'm going to have to do this. I have a weakness for water-type plants anyway.. I also love taro! We have a low spot in a back corner of our garden that stays boggy most of the time and it's planted with taro and louisiana iris -- and we have some enormous elephant ears around the perimeter of it as well.

It's just sitting right up on your deck, right? A miniature pond.. What a fantastic idea!!! It looks fantastic, Copper. Oh - how's your fountain powered? Is it solar or do you have a cord hidden somewhere? I'm excited now! LOL

Copper'sMom July 20th, 2005 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2nd picture!

pags July 20th, 2005 11:41 AM

And the water lily!!! I've never seen a really yellow water lily before!! How big is the bloom on this miniature fella?

Copper'sMom July 20th, 2005 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=pags]And the water lily!!! I've never seen a really yellow water lily before!! How big is the bloom on this miniature fella?[/QUOTE]

Oooh, I'd say about an inch maybe a little more in diameter! Quite tiny, but lovely! I have 3 or 4 other buds on it now. I wish they'd all bloom together!! They may, time will tell!

pags July 20th, 2005 12:04 PM

Oh that makes it even better, copper! A tiny little exquisite flower. Lovely!!!

Prin July 20th, 2005 02:53 PM

I didn't come in here for a while because I, too, didn't know what water gardening was... That looks so peaceful. :)