Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat behavior forum - cat training (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Cleo "toying" with his food (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49078)

kit1469 February 1st, 2008 03:00 PM

Cleo "toying" with his food

my cat cleo does the cutest thing !! hehe .. he "fishes" his food out of his dish, and "hunts" it .. its great because he really gets into it .. does the whole "butt wiggle" thing :laughing: so funny !!! unfortunately hes started just playing with it and isnt eating it afterwards most of the time ... and now i have cat food EVERYWHERE!!!! :frustrated: I dont know what to do .. im not even kidding he'll empty about a quarter of his dish and take it ALL over the house .. it sux.. but its still cute :cloud9: anyway any ideas on how to encourage him not to make such a mess?? thanx

krdahmer February 3rd, 2008 04:04 PM

Wish I did....:rolleyes:... I'm just getting used to stepping on kibble! :eek::laughing: My Windy does the same thing.

growler~GateKeeper February 3rd, 2008 07:32 PM

:laughing: can we have video??? please :pray: :laughing:

How old is Cleo?
What are you feeding Cleo?
Have you tried a different flavour/brand? some cats get bored with the same thing all the time :shrug:
Have you tried canned food? It is far far better nutritionally for them than dry.

kit1469 February 3rd, 2008 09:28 PM

cleo is a a few months over a year now.. we think and is on dry food .. though im looking to change that .. as for getting a video i will try in the next few weeks to get one for u :D ( i have to clear the cards for my camera first)

gstrwbrry May 27th, 2008 08:07 AM

Thats cute :o. My Oliver has started doing the same thing. He takes a mouth full of food (dry) and spits out one. Then he chases it all over the floor. I am not sure if its out of boredom or not but I have also gotton used to all the kitty food being on the floor. You might want to buy some more toys for him to play with but if hes anything like my cat, the kitty food is much more entertaining, and he might ignore his new toys. Goodluck :)

Aiffe August 28th, 2009 12:33 PM

lol, my cat Aiko does something like this. She fishes the kibble out of the bowl with her paws, and tries to feed herself by "hand" at the edge of the bowl. Of course, she drops like 75% of them on the floor, but she just goes right back for another one.

She's the most humanlike of our cats, so we joke that she's trying to eat like we do.

We haven't tried to train her out of it because it's cute, and one of the other cats will generally eat the stuff on the floor. But I think feeding her canned food would put a stop to it, since it's all mushy and she can't really play with it. (When we feed her cans, she doesn't do anything like this.)