Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog skin disease-Demodectic Mange (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52230)

Doha May 11th, 2008 01:08 PM

Dog skin disease-Demodectic Mange

My dog, a four months old German Shepherd was diagnose with a skin disease called Demodectic Mange a few days ago. It causes my dog's fur to shed. I was told by my vet that this illness was inherited. My dog is now given an oral medication called Ivermectin. However, this medication could cause neurologic side effect and deppresion if my dog is ellergic to the medicine. And, there is no way I could find out whether my dog is ellergic to it. Also, if those side effect occurs on my dog, it would be permanent. So, my vet decided to start with a low dosage of Ivermectin first and observe how my dog reacts. But what if my dog is ellergic to Ivermectin, will it attain its side effects after the first medication? This medication seems dangerous to me. Is there any other better treatment method? Please do not suggest the Amitraz dipping method because the skin disease occurs around my dog's eyes. Should I have to worry if I were to use the above method? Will this disease go off by itself without medication? Is Demodectic Mange a common disease in dogs and how often does dogs with this disease being cured? Thank you.

hazelrunpack May 11th, 2008 04:00 PM

Did your vet do scrapings to confirm the presence of demodex mites? These are the organisms that cause demodectic mange. Pups 'catch' the mites from their moms (if the mothers don't have them, the pups never get them). Most dogs have them, but it's only when their immune systems are compromised that they develop mange. So in a way, it's 'inherited', but it's not a direct genetic inheritance.

Depending on why the immune system is compromised, the mange is often successfully treated. Our dog, Macie, came with demodectic mange. Her first year was spent neglected in a kennel, then she was rescued and found herself in a place with lots of other dogs. She was totally unprepared for the change. By the time she came to us, she had been stressed enough to depress her immune system and she developed the mange.

We were in the process of improving her diet (switching her to a good quality kibble) and we added a supplement of omega-3 and -6 fatty acids (fish oils). A good diet can help boost the immune system and allow it to eliminate the mange.

She was also started on a topical treatment, Goodwinol. Goodwinol worked well for us, but Macie's mange was only in 4 or 5 fairly small spots on her face. If the mange spreads to too wide an area, the topical spot treatments don't work as well. You would have to keep it out of your dog's eyes, but Macie had a spot on her eyelid and we had no trouble applying the cream and avoiding the eye itself. It took a number of months for the areas to finally start hairing in.

Ivermectin is a common treatment for mange. However, since we didn't need to use Ivermectin, I have no experience with possible side-effects from it. It sounds like your vet is a cautious approach, which is good. I do know that certain breeds are more prone to ivermectin's side effects. If the mange is widespread enough, I'd still be inclined to give it a try, as long as my dog was monitored well.

Demodectic mange [I]can[/I] get bad enough to result in death, so treatment is advisable. It [I]can[/I] resolve by itself if the the immune system finally gets a handle on it, but nontreatment is a big risk to take, especially if your dog's mange is widespread.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your dog. Please keep us posted, Doha. And welcome to the board.

rainbow May 11th, 2008 05:47 PM

Ivermectin injections were given to one of our dogs. It seems to be the drug of choice now for the treatment of mange. The only breeds that it should not be given to are Collies, Shelties, Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs and any other herding breed.

This website has a good article on Demodectic Mange....

[url]http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html[/url]

Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up .....good luck and please keep us updated. :fingerscr

want4rain May 11th, 2008 09:18 PM

also take a good hard look at what you are feeding her. make sure it is a VERY HIGH QUALITY FOOD, preferably homemade or raw. please take every measure to boost her immune system (zink, vit-c, vit-e etc, talk to your vet) as that is likely the cause of it in the first place. dark meat chicken is a great source for zinc, lots of good sources for vit-c, just do some research!!

-ashley

Doha May 12th, 2008 02:49 AM

My vet did scrapped and checked for the presence of demodex mites. I could see the adult mites moving under the microscope. After listening to many advises, I decided to try Ivermectin. I gave my dog the medication last night and my dog seems to be his active and normal self. I really hope Ivermectin is suitable for my dog. I'll keep observing him.

I think Goodwinol might not be suitable for my dog as he keeps moving and this refrain us from applying things on him. He might even lick the substance. Besides, the mange also occurs at many places such as elbow, leg and his body.

Thank you for all your kind and sincere advice. Also, thank you for the information on the website. They really do help me and give me confident to try Ivermectin. I would try to supply my dog a good and balance diet too.

Thanks!

AmericanPittLab May 28th, 2008 08:54 AM

Dixie

My vet said that there is a chance with Ivermectin but it is very rare for side affects. In stead of paying the full amount at the vet you can buy it over the counter at most feed stores. It is the same stuff they sell at the vet. My pitt lab Dixie has it and hers is reoccuring. But when she gets an out break she gets a yeast infection along with it. I have to give her Cefolexan 2x a day. My vet is good about helping out with costs. She has called the medicine in for me at Walmart where it only cost me 4 dollars in stead on 51! Also, there is no problem giving benadryl to a dog. I give it to both of mine. Expecially, during spring because of allergies. Unfortunately for Dixie she will never be cured. I will have to continually medicate her. But they have a med that should help prevent her from getting an outbreak. I wish there was an easier way to help her but I'm doing what I can. :fingerscr