Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet free photography (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Dragonfly (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=74963)

dustybird January 27th, 2011 04:50 PM

Dragonfly

3 Attachment(s)
I was visiting the gardening section and was inspired by Chico2 to share some of my Dragonfly pics. We get a ton of them on the island where I work each year, it's pretty awesome to see hoards of them flying overhead. I had a pic of one hatching but can not seem to find it :(.

dustybird January 27th, 2011 04:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few more

Dog Dancer January 27th, 2011 05:15 PM

Great pics. They really are beautiful, but truthfully, they scare me silly! Go figure huh, me the beekeeper and I'm afraid of dragonflies :o They're so big and they make funny noises - had one in the kitchen last summer and couldn't wait for it to find the door!

chico2 January 27th, 2011 05:42 PM

dustybird,beautiful pics:thumbs up
We get many because of our pool,they swoop down,looking for insects on the surface.
Last year we had a lot of red-bodied smaller ones,really pretty..:thumbs up

dustybird January 27th, 2011 05:59 PM

Thanks,

Gosh I didn't mean to post such huge pictures....can't seem get the hang of it.

I am not really into bugs but I find dragonflies super cool. The first one I was hanging sheets out to dry and he/she just sat there watching me. It was really neat as you could see his/her little alien like head moving around following me. I flicked a spider his/her way he/she swooped over and caught it, which was just to cool. They love to feast on the may/shad flies when they hatch. We seem to get several different hatches of dragonflies of varied sizes over the season. Anytime I see one fluttering in the lake or caught in a spider web I feel the need to rescue it.

One was super stuck in a web this past summer and I was able to clean him up so he could fly away. The little bugger acutally sat still in my hand and let me do it.

marko January 27th, 2011 06:05 PM

Creepy cool!

hazelrunpack January 28th, 2011 09:29 PM

Cool pics, dustybird! I especially like that last one--the eyes are like molten metal!

dustybird January 30th, 2011 05:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally found the hatching(or whatever it's called) photo's.

Dee-O-Gee January 30th, 2011 11:17 PM

So Kewl dustybird! They almost look like transformer toys or something. :shrug:

My BIL/SIL have a cottage dubbed Dragonfly point and these pictures remind me of our summer fun at the cottage! :cloud9: [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"][I]Hurry up summer! :yell:[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

chico2 January 31st, 2011 08:30 AM

Wow,those"hatchlings"look scary,but amazing,I think I prefer the adults:laughing:
But thank's for those pics,the insectworld is interesting:thumbs up

We seemed to have a lot of Dragon-flies last summer,to Vinnies delight,he never did manage to catch one though

hazelrunpack January 31st, 2011 11:15 AM

The hatching shots are fascinating, dustybird!! The closer I look at insects, the more fascinating they are!! Thanks for sharing!