Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What kind of mutt am I? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=82450)

Staciewells1 October 10th, 2012 10:09 AM

What kind of mutt am I?

3 Attachment(s)
This is Truman. We just brought him home from the shelter yesterday. His official paperwork lists him as an English Cocker Spaniel. Umm... I don't think that's right. :eek:

He's about 26 pounds, very sweet personality. Clearly, he stole those ears from a cat, and he looks a bit like a baby bear.

Barkingdog October 10th, 2012 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=Staciewells1;1047525]This is Truman. We just brought him home from the shelter yesterday. His official paperwork lists him as an English Cocker Spaniel. Umm... I don't think that's right. :eek:

He's about 26 pounds, very sweet personality. Clearly, he stole those ears from a cat, and he looks a bit like a baby bear.[/QUOTE]

He is a cute dog . I loves his ears. This link has a list of dog breeds

[url]http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-breeds/small/page/2/dog-breeds.aspx[/url]

I do not see any English Cocker Spaniel in him.

marko October 10th, 2012 02:54 PM

Cocker spaniel?

Looks to me like a lab mix perhaps. Sure is cute!

Rgeurts October 10th, 2012 03:23 PM

Very cute baby!! :lovestruck: :cloud9:
He has a very "Shiba" like face, to me. I wouldn't doubt if there's a bit of it in there somewhere. Whatever mix he is... it's 100% adorable!

Goldfields October 10th, 2012 05:52 PM

Looks like a black Kelpie to me , have you any clue how old he might be? If he's inexhaustable and wants to herd anything that moves, he's a Kelpie. LOL.

Staciewells1 October 10th, 2012 06:09 PM

As far as we know, he's around 6 years old. He's a couch potato! :sleepy:

Barkingdog October 10th, 2012 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=Staciewells1;1047546]As far as we know, he's around 6 years old. He's a couch potato! :sleepy:[/QUOTE]

Labs can be lazy, does your vet have any ideas what breeds he is mixed with?

growler~GateKeeper October 10th, 2012 11:25 PM

Like Goldfields I also see Kelpie :2cents:

Have you got a picture where we can see his tail?

Staciewells1 October 11th, 2012 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=growler~GateKeeper;1047555]Like Goldfields I also see Kelpie :2cents:

Have you got a picture where we can see his tail?[/QUOTE]

This is the best I have right now:

hazelrunpack October 11th, 2012 07:58 AM

Truman is 50% cutie-pie and 50% debonair gent! :lovestruck: Thanks for adopting a senior fella!

Dog Dancer October 11th, 2012 10:29 AM

I have to laugh at the Cocker Spaniel thing - I don't think so either. I would agree lab cross Kelpie or Shiba Inu maybe. He sure is cute. I think once you and he find your bond together he'll get off the couch!

Barkingdog October 11th, 2012 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1047567]Truman is 50% cutie-pie and 50% debonair gent! :lovestruck: Thanks for adopting a senior fella![/QUOTE]

And a black dog as more black dogs are killed than other dogs. . there is a black dogs syndrome in USA. It is like that too in Canada?

hazelrunpack October 11th, 2012 04:17 PM

If you're asking me, Barkingdog, I think so, but since I'm from WI (not quite Canada) I can't say for sure! :laughing: Sadly, though, I think black dog syndrome is a pretty universal phenomenon. :(

Staciewells1 October 11th, 2012 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1047587]And a black dog as more black dogs are killed than other dogs. . there is a black dogs syndrome in USA. There is like that too in Canada?[/QUOTE]

Truman was in the shelter longer than any other dog, and the staff told me that being black (along with his age) was responsible. He never got a second look.

Barkingdog October 11th, 2012 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=Staciewells1;1047612]Truman was in the shelter longer than any other dog, and the staff told me that being black (along with his age) was responsible. He never got a second look.[/QUOTE]

I had a black standard poodle who was my hearing dog and some people where afraid of him. Finlay was a very sweet dog that loved people and did not understand why some people moved back when he tried to hug them by leading on them. I think your dog is adorable and once he get used his new home he will be a great pet and very faithful to his new famliy. I think it is wonderful that you adopted him.

Longblades October 12th, 2012 06:58 AM

I don't see any Spaniel of any kind. Maybe some German Pinscher in that last shot? In his head?

Marty11 October 12th, 2012 07:00 AM

He looks very sweet.:cloud9: And eveybody tells me that a forgotten shelter dog knows when he is saved. He will be a lovely pet and reward you with unconditional love. :thumbs up Did changing his name confuse him? Can you try a name that rhymes with BooBoo?

diandpat October 12th, 2012 08:25 AM

A really cute mutt, that's what kind!!!! So happy you have found such a good loving family :thumbs up

I don't see any spaniel either. Definitely MinPin and maybe some lab?

At the end of the day you are just adorable whatever you are!!!!

Have a beautiful life:lovestruck:

Staciewells1 October 12th, 2012 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=Marty11;1047630]He looks very sweet.:cloud9: And eveybody tells me that a forgotten shelter dog knows when he is saved. He will be a lovely pet and reward you with unconditional love. :thumbs up Did changing his name confuse him? Can you try a name that rhymes with BooBoo?[/QUOTE]

That's where Truman came from. It's fairly close to BooBoo, and in baby talk, it's even closer. :D

Barkingdog October 12th, 2012 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Marty11;1047630]He looks very sweet.:cloud9: And eveybody tells me that a forgotten shelter dog knows when he is saved. He will be a lovely pet and reward you with unconditional love. :thumbs up Did changing his name confuse him? Can you try a name that rhymes with BooBoo?[/QUOTE]

My dog name was Brad Pitt when I got him and there was no way I was keeping
that name. So I renamed him Marty and my dog took to the name right away. I think he was happy too.

Marty is a mini poodle mix and I do not know what the other breed is so I call Marty a cutiepoo!

growler~GateKeeper October 12th, 2012 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=Staciewells1;1047562]This is the best I have right now:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I still say Kelpie mix :dog: :D He is adorable :cloud9:

Staciewells1 October 15th, 2012 09:12 PM

We took Truman to the vet today. When she came into the room, I said, "This is Truman- a cocker spaniel." Without missing a beat, the vet replied, "So am I".
She declared Truman to be 100% mutt. I guess that's good enough.

growler~GateKeeper October 15th, 2012 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=Staciewells1;1047815]I said, "This is Truman- a cocker spaniel." Without missing a beat, the vet replied, "So am I".
She declared Truman to be 100% mutt. I guess that's good enough.[/QUOTE]

:laughing:

You will definitely need to have some breed cross other than cocker spaniel to list or just put mutt that would be a far better description when you register Truman for his dog license, should he ever get picked up by animal control you do not want cocker spaniel to be listed :laughing:

Marty11 October 16th, 2012 06:20 AM

I am now thinking Terrier (manchester) crossed with lab or cocker spaniel? I was looking at the ears and long tail....pic 2 and 3 looks terrier.

Koteburo October 22nd, 2012 02:25 PM

The adorable kind :p

Goldfields October 22nd, 2012 06:29 PM

See images here of black Kelpies.
[url]http://www.google.com.au/search?q=black+kelpie&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=u9WFUIOhHu6TiQev5oBI&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=720&bih=512[/url]

Truman is certainly more Kelpie-like that Cocker-like.