Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   General questions about siamese cats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=74291)

rustykat December 31st, 2010 03:28 AM

General questions about siamese cats

I am thinking of getting a siamese cat since my grandmother had them and I adored them - they tend to be full of personality! I want to get 2 but my grandmother suggests only 1 since they can be noisy. Can someone give me an idea how noisy siamese cats generally are? I believe that cats should have a buddy which is why I want two but I also don't want my neighbours to complain lol ! Maybe the second cat could be a non-siamese cat shelter rescue. IDK. Also how do I know if the cat is just vocalising or if it wants attention? how much attention does it need?

Also how do I find a reputable breeder? I want my cat to be happy, healthy, well socialized and what not. I don't care much about the apearance of the cat as I am mainly after the siamese personality although I do prefer the modern wedge shaped head variety. At the same time though, my grandmother says that some breeders go too far with the wedge and the cat looks like a rat lol and I don't want that, it would creep me out lol!

I live in Montreal, Canada if that helps. :cloud9:

Love4himies December 31st, 2010 08:27 AM

Two kitties are always better than one :D :cloud9: :lovestruck:

Well, I don't have any experience with Siamese kitties, although I do love them, but have you considered contacting a Siamese specific rescue? A kitty in foster care will really be able to give you more of an indication of the personality than what you would get if you adopted a kitten. There is a member, who hasn't been on for a while, who may be able to give you some advice on Siamese. I will PM, Cyberkitten and hopefully she will log on and give you some advice :pray:

quincymycat December 31st, 2010 10:53 AM

I have had Siamese in the past and it is a matter of each kitty. Some are [FONT="Arial Black"]EXTREMELY [FONT="Arial"] vocal and can almost sound like an infant in distress. Another I had..noisy, but not much more than some other non Siamese I have had. Generally speaking though...they do tend to be quite talkative, and like some people, their voices are loud! :D

I agree with checking out a Siamese rescue though. You would be helping a homeless kitty and you get a better chance to interact and have the kitty help select you! Also, whoever is fostering the kitty will be able to let you know about little quirks such as how he/she interacts with others or maybe has already formed a bond with another kitty there.

Whatever you decide...good luck....and 3 is likely better than 2!!!! You may be asking the wrong people here about how many is enough!!! :laughing:[/FONT][/FONT]

Love4himies December 31st, 2010 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=quincymycat;973610]
Whatever you decide...good luck....and 3 is likely better than 2!!!! You may be asking the wrong people here about how many is enough!!! :laughing:[/FONT][/FONT][/QUOTE]

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: but that may leave 1 out, 4 would be much better than 3 :p

14+kitties December 31st, 2010 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=quincymycat;973610]Whatever you decide...good luck....and 3 is likely better than 2!!!! You may be asking the wrong people here about how many is enough!!! :laughing:[/FONT][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Love4himies;973612]:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: but that may leave 1 out, 4 would be much better than 3 :p[/QUOTE]

Oh heck!! Go for the gusto!!! Try 6 on for size! That's still a manageable number. :D

I had a part Siamese fella for almost 19 years. He had the Siamese cry but was not that vocal unless he was trying to tell us something. Then he could chirp up a storm. :cloud9::angel2:
There is a possibility if you got two that they would not be as vocal as long as they could see each other. Sometimes kitties, not only Siamese, cry simply because they want company.
I would also urge you to go to a rescue or even a shelter rather than a breeder at this point. There are so many kitties being born that have no homes. :( The main advantage to that is that they would be able to tell you just how vocal any or all of their kitties are.

rustykat December 31st, 2010 01:28 PM

I hope I am posting this correctly...And thanks everyone for your responces so far!!

I have thought of looking for siamese cats at local shelters - my mom's cats have all been shelter rescues. If you look at online for shelter kitties in say, New York, you will find lots of siamese cats! But in my city, not so much. :( On the other hand I could adopt one shelter kitty that isn't a siamese, and one siamese from a breeder an they could be friends.

I do feel a bit guilty for wanting to adopt a cat from a breeder but the good thing is that the breeders tend to screen the 'willing slaves' very well - they will not sell you a cat if they don't think you will make a life time committment to it which is why there isn't as many purebred cats in shelters.

quincymycat December 31st, 2010 03:03 PM

Hey rustycat....rescues are not the shelters like the pound. These are places where volunteers make room for pets or in the case of a breed specific rescue, animals which have been surrendered by their owners....sometimes to a pound where the animal is rescued and sheltered and cared for until a forever home comes along.
In order find a rescue for Siamese cats...google Siamese Cat Rescues....your specific area and you should get what you are looking for.
Good luck.

14+kitties January 1st, 2011 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=rustykat;973672]
I do feel a bit guilty for wanting to adopt a cat from a breeder but the good thing is that the breeders tend to screen the 'willing slaves' very well - [B]they will not sell you a cat if they don't think you will make a life time committment to it[/B] which is why there isn't as many purebred cats in shelters.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I wish that were true. :( Unless you do your research for quite some time about the breeder you are looking at you are more than likely going to get a breeder who does it for the money. I urge you to take your time looking. Ask the breeder for names and #'s of past "buyers". Or go with a breeder friends of yours have had success with. Do not use places like Craig's List, kijiji, free ad papers, etc. Look for breeders who are registered with cat breeders' associations. Just take your time and don't rush in to buying the first cat you see. And visit your local shelter. You may be very very surprised what you find there.

diandpat January 1st, 2011 12:04 PM

[url]http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?animal_type=Cat&pet_breed=Siamese&location=h9k+1h6&distance=100[/url]

This is the Petfinder listing for Siamese cats withing 100 miles of Montreal. I am sure there are plenty more that you will find once you start looking.

I have two SPCA cats. One was 8 mths old and the other 20mths old when I adopted them and they are absolutely perfect. Can't imagine paying a "breeder" for a kitten when there are so many just waiting to love on you!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

BenMax January 1st, 2011 04:31 PM

I have two siamese cats and my daughter has one as well. They are the dog of cats really. They bond with their owners and can be somewhat possessive. They are very unique and also high maintenance. They demand alot of attention and are very vocal whether they are happy or expressing displeasure. I love my siamese cats, but they are definately very different from the domestic cats which I also have.:)

If you are interested in this breed, do your research to ensure that this is what you really want. Forget about a breeder all together. You will find them at shelters (which is were I got mine) or you can google AMM Rescue which is a purebred cat rescue here in Montreal.

Good luck in your research on the breed.:thumbs up

shirley1011 January 1st, 2011 06:01 PM

Back in the dark ages when I was in real estate, a client had a siamese cat that had to be put into the 2 pc. washroom if we were showing the house with a note on the door...DO NOT OPEN...this was a cat that would attack like a dog when strangers entered her home.

Marty11 January 1st, 2011 06:47 PM

I adopted a Pure Siamese out of the HS in Newmarket for half price. Best cat ever. Some lady didn't like him cause he wouldn't play with her kids. :wall: Well I tell ya this cat loved kids, was patient, got along with dogs......Only advice to give you is to get two together, they tend to be bossy with their own kind.

BenMax January 2nd, 2011 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=Marty11;973893]I adopted a Pure Siamese out of the HS in Newmarket for half price. Best cat ever. Some lady didn't like him cause he wouldn't play with her kids. :wall: Well I tell ya this cat loved kids, was patient, got along with dogs......Only advice to give you is to get two together, they tend to be bossy with their own kind.[/QUOTE]

I agree about getting two. What I have noticed is that the siamese seem to accept their 'own kind' more so then letting others within thier circle. Funny as my siamese Blu always hung out with Riley (my tuxedo boy) but once Doobie (oriental red) entered the picture...they bonded and poor Riley was left out. Within time however, they all three bonded but I do notice that the bond between the orientals are much stronger. When I baby sit my daughter's cat (also a siamese) the interaction between her and the other two siamese is alot more responsive.

Yes...two is always better than one in my opinion.

Marty11 January 2nd, 2011 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Benmax mine was named Blue too. I have shown this one before. Kids thought it was cute to have him play some checkers......:laughing: He also lived 18 yrs.

BenMax January 2nd, 2011 05:39 PM

Marty11 you are not going to believe this, but my Blu is a lilac point siamese as well...:)