Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog can't move - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2195)

zoya September 28th, 2003 11:29 AM

my dog can't move

:( He was fine last night...Then this morning we went out to feed him and he couldn't move his front or back legs..He was breathing fine and had tried to drag himself .
His legs just kind of go straight out.
We have had frogs in the yard, and often find black widow spiders and I have killed those black caterpillars with the spikey backs.
Could any of these things have cause him to be paralyzed?
I am soo worried...He can't even get up to go to the bathroom...and he is a lARGE dog...

Lucky Rescue September 28th, 2003 11:48 AM

What are you waiting for? This is an emergency - take him to the vet!

zoya September 28th, 2003 12:43 PM

can't

:( There isn't any in my area that are open.....and if I was to take him to a another town the cost is too high...I just spent a high amount on the other dog 5 days ago for surgrey and with the hurrican we just had we have no more money...

BobbyandTommy September 30th, 2003 10:57 AM

How is he now?

How is he now? Have you gotten him to see a vet? Is he still unable to move? Maybe the vet would be willing to put you on a payment plan. Please do something for your dog, you can't just let him suffer.

zoya September 30th, 2003 10:16 PM

better

He is doing much better....It seems to be that he has some kind of pinch nerve....Nothing is broken. We have no idea how he did it....
We have been doing therapy with him, rolling him every couple of hours to keep circulation moving right. He is eating good and drinking water...plus regular bowel and urine movements...

He has even sat up on his stomach last night and this afternoon...But he is still unable to walk..but if we put cold water on his toes his reflexes to move his legs is good...so all is hopeful...

He is a good old dog...

petdr October 6th, 2003 09:15 AM

Dear Zoya,
I am not convinced that insect/spider venom or some other
toxic principal caused these symptoms. More likely, I would
consider some type of spinal cord damage related to a
herniated disc or potentionally some other spinal cord
problem. Some elderly dogs have severe arthritis that mimic
these symptoms also. Please see your local veterinarian to
diagnosis and treat this problem, and rule-out any other
causes such as fracture (broken bone) or gun-shot.

Dr. Van Lienden

Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

zoya October 6th, 2003 10:53 PM

Thank you but

I did see a vet last friday...No broken bones. But the gun shot seemed a bit far fetched!! I am sure I would of noticed blood or even a hole.
There isn't a spinal cord injury either he can move his head and tail...plus he is trying to sit himself up and crawling now. He even started to scratch behind his ear with his back legs the other day. His feet are still in a paralyses state. But he isn't in any pain.
Also just incase you may have forgotten....There is a such thing as Raccoon bites doing this, also tick paralyses, lickulisin paralyses and a few types of wood spiders will cause these same effects on a animal...
I cleared this with my vet and even my own personal family Doctor and my pharmacist/Herbalist who have always been extremly supportive. Not to mention my dog is not elderly. I have another dog that is much much older than he is..They have always seen the same vet since they were puppies...

But I do want to thank you for your advice and care in my dog. It does mean a lot to me..My animals have always ment a lot to me. They have always been more than a family pet but a memeber of our family. His theraphy is coming along well and we will continue to work with him till he is fully back to his old self again...

Zoya

mona_b December 5th, 2003 01:30 PM

I'm glad to hear he is doing better.So what did the vet say was wrong with him?

latenight44 December 4th, 2007 06:43 PM

my dog have disc problems to

My Pom was taken to the vet a few weeks ago. He was diagnosed with a disc problem. The vet gave me predisone and he got better. Later I noticed him holding his neck to one side and it has gotten worse. Please help.

rquitek January 3rd, 2009 10:10 AM

dog's 4 legs cant move.

hi guys, sorry if post a new message here. i just registered awhile ago, but i cant find the way how to post a new message. again i'm very very sorry i'm already desperate in my dog's condition.

last dec 30, 2008 my labador just lay down on the ground, at first i just thought he needs to rest or take a nap, but when i tried o call him he just cant stand up and move himself from that position as if all of his feet and legs are completely paralyze. the only that he can move is his head and tail. so i've brought him to his vet and he examined my dog. he told us that my dog's spine are ok bec he could move his head and tail, his stool and urine are ok. the poblem is my dog's feet and legs are paralyze and have no sensation even thought the vet pinched his toes. my vet also noticed that there is a big lump at the back of my lab near the neck area. my vet also put my lab on dextrose because he wasn't eating anymore. i've also bought the prescription medicine( anti-bacterial and b-vitamins for the nerve) but still upto now there has no progress at all. last night my vet called me and he told me that this was a rare case for him and suggested to me not to prolong the agony of my labrador. right now i'm already hopeless on my dog's condition but still i clinching on a hope that a miracle would come so that my dog will get better. even though he didnt grew up with me he's still a member of the family and i cant give up on him.

please please please i really really need your pieces of advice regarding my dogs condition.

again sorry if i post a new message on this reply. sorry if i voilated some of the terms and condition of this site. i'm just desperate to seek some advice.

thanks.