Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cat isn't going potty (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83774)

lissakitteh April 8th, 2013 08:56 PM

Cat isn't going potty

I've had my baby, Zuko, since he was a couple weeks old, now he's about a year and a half. I haven't changed his diet and he's always gone in his litterbox. I moved into a really small apartment and he was used to a bigger place so I let him go outdoors. Around the same time I got another cat (who's 11). They ended up bringing in a LOT of fleas. It was absolutely horrible. I made them both stay indoors again. They had worms... it was just bad. I got them all taken care of, they're worm/flea free. But the 11 y.o. cat would just about gut my cat if he tried to use the litterbox. She was brutal. I moved in the beginning of April and got rid of her the next day. Zuko still refuses to use the litterbox (unless I lock him in the bathroom with it). I noticed he'd just hold it until he couldn't anymore and I'd find about 3 presents all over the new apartment. I got a new litterbox, changed the litter to this stuff called "CatAttract" which is supposed to be guaranteed to attract the most difficult of litterbox trainees to use it. Now I haven't seen him use the bathroom in two days. He's always had a very constant bathroom pattern. I've never seen him go a day without going potty, let alone two. What do I do??

minmin12 April 9th, 2013 06:24 AM

Hopeful

I believe your cat has been traumatized first with another brutal cat who came into home after your cat had been one and only. Good idea removing that cat. Second your cat is an outdoor cat, coupled with being beaten up, fleas, the move she/he:sorry: is afraid now. My suggestion to you would be put food and water near litterbox for a while. I believe that he is going to eat and drink and with litter box nearby within a range close enough as not to have any litter go into water/food. This is going to take quite some time I am positive this is going to work. :ca::thumbs up

marko April 9th, 2013 07:31 AM

Don't know how small your space is but maybe adding a second litterbox in another quiet area might help.

sugarcatmom April 9th, 2013 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=minmin12;1056285]My suggestion to you would be put food and water near litterbox for a while. [/QUOTE]

Totally disagree with this advice, and don't understand the rationale behind it. Cats don't like to have their eating station near their bathroom, and putting them close together could make the problem worse.

Has your cat had a check-up recently? Could there be a medical reason for his litter box avoidance? Young male cats eating dry food (what does he eat, by the way) are terribly prone to urinary tract issues, which can also be influenced by stress. A urinalysis might be a good place to start.

Beyond that, I would suggest picking up some Feliway diffusers (they emit calming pheromones and could help with whatever stress your boy is experiencing). Perhaps adding a couple more litter boxes, and making sure you scoop them at least twice a day, would help. Is the box you have now covered? If so, get an open one or take the top off. If it isn't covered, maybe give him the option of one that is (but keep the other one as well).

Good luck!

Barkingdog April 9th, 2013 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;1056289]Totally disagree with this advice, and don't understand the rationale behind it. Cats don't like to have their eating station near their bathroom, and putting them close together could make the problem worse.

Has your cat had a check-up recently? Could there be a medical reason for his litter box avoidance? Young male cats eating dry food (what does he eat, by the way) are terribly prone to urinary tract issues, which can also be influenced by stress. A urinalysis might be a good place to start.

Beyond that, I would suggest picking up some Feliway diffusers (they emit calming pheromones and could help with whatever stress your boy is experiencing). Perhaps adding a couple more litter boxes, and making sure you scoop them at least twice a day, would help. Is the box you have now covered? If so, get an open one or take the top off. If it isn't covered, maybe give him the option of one that is (but keep the other one as well).

Good luck![/QUOTE]

I agree that is putting the food near the litter box is a bad idea, cats are very clean animals and trip to the vet would not harm. Would it help to give the cat a treat when he does us the littler box?

lissakitteh April 9th, 2013 02:01 PM

Thank you all very much. I went to the pet store and they talked about getting this spray called Comfort Zone, which has the pheromones that are supposed to relax him but I'm super tight on money. He has an open litter box so I could try a closed one.

On top of all this my roomies are really stressing on putting the litter box where they had it with the last roomies of their's-- in the fireplace. I was here a few times while the previous roomies lived here and their cats had no problem going potty while it was in the fireplace. I tried it and all the sounds coming in through the chimney freaked out Zuko. Trying to find another place for it. I hate locking him up in the bathroom with it.

Also-- when he does it in the litter box he just leaves it uncovered. When he goes on the floor he tries and tries to cover it up. He just paws at the floor trying to hide it. It's just so sad seeing him go from world's greatest cat when it comes to using the litter box to him just refusing it. I wish I had never gotten that other cat. He's still healing up, has scabs all over, and is missing patches of hair from where she really got him. :mad:

pattymac April 9th, 2013 02:13 PM

try Dr Bach's Rescue Remedy. I used the cream and just rubbed a bit on their ears. There is also a liquid that you just squirt in their mouth. You can get it in most drug stores in the natural foods section. You can take it too :)

Barkingdog April 9th, 2013 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=lissakitteh;1056309]Thank you all very much. I went to the pet store and they talked about getting this spray called Comfort Zone, which has the pheromones that are supposed to relax him but I'm super tight on money. He has an open litter box so I could try a closed one.

On top of all this my roomies are really stressing on putting the litter box where they had it with the last roomies of their's-- in the fireplace. I was here a few times while the previous roomies lived here and their cats had no problem going potty while it was in the fireplace. I tried it and all the sounds coming in through the chimney freaked out Zuko. Trying to find another place for it. I hate locking him up in the bathroom with it.

Also-- when he does it in the litter box he just leaves it uncovered. When he goes on the floor he tries and tries to cover it up. He just paws at the floor trying to hide it. It's just so sad seeing him go from world's greatest cat when it comes to using the litter box to him just refusing it. I wish I had never gotten that other cat. He's still healing up, has scabs all over, and is missing patches of hair from where she really got him. :mad:[/QUOTE]

If the bathroom is very busy at certain times of the day and the door is closed your cat may not be able to get his littler box in time. I think it should where your cat can get to at all times. Poor kitty, I hope he'll be back to his old self soon.

lissakitteh April 9th, 2013 03:07 PM

The bathroom it's in is rarely used.