Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Am I too old?! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84992)

lovescatsandogs January 4th, 2014 06:22 PM

Am I too old?!

Hello, Everybody,
I wondered what peoples opinion would be for a 72 year old to get a new Kitten or cat? I have had cats before and my bloved Charlie just got hit by a car. I can hardly believe it and miss him and love him so much. I guess I think a new cat would outlive me and then what would happen to him. I am very healthy and' young for my age' but I would not want to inflict any kind of suffering on a beloved pet due to my 'leaving him alone'. That doesn't sound quite right but I am sure you all know what I mean. Thank you.

Longblades January 4th, 2014 07:06 PM

Cats can live 20 years or more. Do you have family or friends who would take in your cat if you became unable to look after him? My neighbour took in a 6 month old pup when he was 77. His son will take the dog if something happens to him. LOL, he re-married this summer, at age 78; she's 78 too. So he took on a wife as well. I'm pretty sure his son is off the hook for his wife. :)

Personally I think taking in a rescue cat or kitten at your age, regardless of what happens down the road, is giving a needy animal a chance it might not otherwise get, right now.

Winston January 4th, 2014 07:14 PM

Such a tough decision but if you have family that will take your beloved pet then why not?

Another thought would be to become a rescue foster Momma! they would certainly love to have someone to count on. I know in my local area the rescue groups are always looking for someone to take on a momma cat and babies or even bottle feeding babies that have lost their mom. So many possibilities. I applaud you for taking such consideration! :thumbs up

My mom is now 71 and we she rescued her beloved Brady and is so happy to have him and she couldn't see living without another cat when she lost her last one.

Having said all of that most rescue groups would not want an outdoor cat for reasons you gave in your original post.

Barkingdog January 4th, 2014 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=Winston;1063928]Such a tough decision but if you have family that will take your beloved pet then why not?

Another thought would be to become a rescue foster Momma! they would certainly love to have someone to count on. I know in my local area the rescue groups are always looking for someone to take on a momma cat and babies or even bottle feeding babies that have lost their mom. So many possibilities. I applaud you for taking such consideration! :thumbs up

My mom is now 71 and we she rescued her beloved Brady and is so happy to have him and she couldn't see living without another cat when she lost her last one.

Having said all of that most rescue groups would not want an outdoor cat for reasons you gave in your original post.[/QUOTE]

What about adopting an older cat , there are adult cats that needs a good home . Your idea of being a foster mom is a great idea. And I think it great the OP is thinking about the cat in the long term .

lindapalm January 4th, 2014 09:21 PM

My mom was 78 when she got a kitten from the Humane Society, and now that my fathers is gone that cat gives my mother something to talk to and talk about. She says she worries what will happen to the cat if she dies, I joke and remind her that her mother lived to 96, so the cat will probably go first. Try to arrange to have a friend or family member agree to take the cat if something happens, but don't worry about it or let it stop you from giving a stray a new life. I agree with Winston that most places will not adopt out a cat if it is going to be outdoors, plus, if it is strictly and indoor cat you'll have less health problems and vet bills. Good Luck.

marko January 5th, 2014 10:36 AM

Imo, you should totally get a cat :cat:

Given that you are already thinking about lifespans, it would make sense to make provisions just in case something happens....but don't let that stop you :2cents: :goodvibes:

momoftwofuzzies January 6th, 2014 04:32 PM

I hope this doesn't sound morbid, but why not adopt an older cat or dog? There are certainly lots of them out there who need good homes!