Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Training for Bonzo (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24567)

Rottielover March 7th, 2006 10:54 AM

Training for Bonzo

;) LOL, I say that because after last night I thought I had a different dog. He did pretty well walking on leash, all the hard stuff, But when it came to the easy stuff, he broke them.
He was being so goofy. I had to rethink what I wanted to do with him, and the time line.
We were hoping to go for his CGC in a couple months, then go for his CD in about 6, but, His greeting people is horrendous.
He is too happy, even told to stay, he breaks, he licks, and tries to get up for attention. He does not jump, but the greeting people is the biggest struggle.
I live in an Apt building. There are not many rottie friendly strangers that I can train with.
How can I work with him on the serious faulty area of his. I do not want to set him up for failure.

Rottielover March 7th, 2006 03:40 PM

any suggestions for the sit for exam, or meet and greet. How did you guys do it?

jessi76 March 7th, 2006 04:21 PM

Tucker & I start our CGC course next week, I'll let ya know if I learn anything amazing.

Lissa March 8th, 2006 07:27 AM

Dodger got his CGN on Monday night. One of the dogs in our class failed because he couldn't sit for exam:( ...

You obviously know what to do - it is just a matter of finding people willing to pet a "spooky" Rottie. Until you do, I would examine him yourself throughout the day...If he can do that easily, try acting as silly as possible, stumble around, have food in your hand, squeak a toy so that it makes it as hard as possibly for him to hold at stay!:D

It sounds like he may also have a problem with the supervised isolation - your dog doesn't have to hold a stay but if he isn't calm, you could fail (depending on the evaluator)...

Could you take him to the pet store and ask dog friendly people to help you out? Would your trainer let you visit at the beginning of some classes so Harley could be petted by strangers or practice his stays???

Good luck. I'm sure you guys can do it!

There's a competition (I think Rally) in Quebec city this weekend - are you going?!

Rottielover March 8th, 2006 08:45 AM

No, he is not ready yet, it is something I want him to do in his time, That way it stays a passion for him. He really loves OB.... His stays are getting tremendously better, as is walking outside beside me not holding the leash. sit when I stop, he has come so far so fast. The break was my fault not his.
The only fear I have is him failing because the sit for exam. he does everything perfectly. He just gets alittle too happy. But we are working on it on stop, all I can. Hard to find people

Lissa March 8th, 2006 12:45 PM

When the competitions are outdoors, it is much easier to bring a dog that isn't actually competing...I've been taking Dodger since he was a puppy and he still gets overhwelmed by the commotion so I know he's not ready for competition either. He will still listen but it's obviously harder to keep his attention - I'm hoping that by early summer we will at least enter an indoor one (I'm aiming for May 28th-29 where the Ottawa Kennel Club has 4 indoor obedience trials:fingerscr !)

It might be a good idea to try Rally first or at least mix it up with formal obedience. I find it really keeps Dodger on his toes!

Rottielover March 8th, 2006 01:29 PM

are there any funny rally's, Harley does not know the heel off leash yet? so no real comp for us as of today.....

Lissa March 8th, 2006 02:06 PM

You are lucky to have such a goofy dog when he's working. I think it will keep him motivated in the long run!!

With Dodger, he does his job because he knows what to do but its not like he'll ever enjoy heeling (or ever be perfect at it)!! A dog, like Harley who shows his enthusiasm is great to watch and will often get a better score!

Level 1 of Rally is all done on-leash and is all novice exercises!

Hopefully we'll see each other when we start competing!;)

Rottielover March 8th, 2006 02:17 PM

where and when are you going????? if it is all on leash we can do it :) plus it will just be for fun for him. To him it is working and he loves it

Lissa March 8th, 2006 03:06 PM

I am not going to the Quebec City one (I found out about it too late and didn't have time to register). My friend is going with her pitbull (she can't compete in Ontario unless she gets an exemption:( !)
If you are interested in going to watch here's the address:
La maison des scouts
51A, rue Déziel
Lévis Québec G6V 3T7

Does your trainer offer fun matches/show n' go's so you two can practice and get a real idea how you'd do in a trial atmosphere??

There is a trial at McGill University on April 8-9th that I have been thinking about registering for (the host is Lakeshore dog training association) but it will depend on my car as she is tempermental about traveling distances:o !
I don't know if the Lakeshore Dog Training Association is close to you but they have a fun match this Sunday that you could attend as an observer (again, its too late to register!)

Rottielover March 8th, 2006 03:40 PM

On sunday, my daughter and I will be going and watching a match near us. Spoke to a really nice woman, and she said to come first and watch, that way you know all dogs are not perfect, so it will help relieve stress. So we will :)