Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   FOUND AND HEALTHY - Dog Lost in Guelph, Ontario (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5343)

Ribble July 5th, 2004 07:15 PM

FOUND AND HEALTHY - Dog Lost in Guelph, Ontario

A Shetland Sheepdog was lost July 5th, 2004 on the Guelph Trail, located on Watson Rd between Arkell and Stone Rd.

She's tri-coloured, black, white, and brown. She answers to the name "Kira", is quite shy but loves treats. She is spayed and microchipped, she also has her collar and tags on with full ID.

She means a lot to us, if anyone sees or finds her please, please email me. Large reward.

[img]http://www3.sympatico.ca/weedonny/kira.jpg[/img]

chico2 July 5th, 2004 07:25 PM

Kira is beautiful,I assume you have contacted shelters,put up posters,even contact the local newspaper and sometimes radio stations will help out.
Someone else here will be able to give you sites where you can also post.
Please let us know if there is a happy ending and you find her,I certainly hope so,good luck!

glasslass July 5th, 2004 08:08 PM

I'm not in your area, but I hope you find your beautiful baby! I'll be sending good vibes to you and Kira. :(

Luba July 5th, 2004 08:22 PM

Absolutely beautiful! Best of luck!

You may want to post her on

[url]www.lostandfound.ca[/url]

[url]www.canadastrays.com[/url]

and

[url]www.petfinder.com[/url]

Ribble July 5th, 2004 08:41 PM

Thanks a ton guys, it means a lot. We've searched all day, posted flyers etc, no luck so far. We'll have to try again in the morning.

And thanks for the links Luba, I've posted her on each of those sites, are they very succesful at all?

Luba July 5th, 2004 09:17 PM

One thing that is very successful is POSTERS with a nice clear colour pic on them! Any amount of exposure is better then none.

Put on the poster 'Urgently needs medication'

Put the posters at bus shelters, grocery stores, gas stations, pet shops , vet offices, humane society, spca.

Is this dog CKC Registered by chance?

Search parties work well too, cover areas over and over again...leaving the dogs favourite treats along the trail if in wooded area. Go back to the same area more then once. Talk to local people and leave posters with them.

When I dog search I give them to taxi drivers, cops, emt's, firemen and tow truck drivers. I put some on windshields of cars and at mail boxes and the big green boxes the letter carriers go to!

Did she get spooked? What happen that she got lost? Many times people find dogs and keep them for awhile before contacting their local shelters because they think the dog is cute and the owner is being punished for letting the dog get away. Happens all the time!

Does she have a dog friend that is friendly with her? Even family pets can trace and track...it doesn't take much. Give the dog her scent from her bedding and keep going back to the area she was lost. Call her name A LOT, call it LOUD and use a friendly tone.

edited to add:
[url]www.torontohumanesociety.com[/url] has a lost and found section and guelph may too
[url]http://www.guelph-humane.on.ca/[/url]
if not send them the info via email

Luba July 6th, 2004 05:32 PM

Any luck yet?

heidiho July 6th, 2004 05:52 PM

I dont understand doesnt the microchip locate them????

Luba July 6th, 2004 06:10 PM

No it's not a global tracking system Heidi, what a microchip is...is a chip inserted between the shoulders of a dog/cat. When they are picked up as strays, shelters and vets can scan the dog with a wand and pick up the number code (like if you were to scan something at a grocery store and the number comes up on the computer screen).

They use this number to input into the database which holds all the microchip numbers for pets. The owner info comes up :D

heidiho July 6th, 2004 06:11 PM

Thank you,i did not know that......

Luba July 6th, 2004 06:19 PM

y/w Heidi :D

heidiho July 6th, 2004 06:21 PM

;) Well they should make a global tracking one,hmmmm not a bad idea.....

Luba July 6th, 2004 06:25 PM

Oh there are several companies that do that too :D

[url]http://www.environmental-studies.de/products/GPS-GSM-dog-collar/body_gps-gsm-dog-collar.html[/url]

heidiho July 6th, 2004 06:28 PM

Damn..........Well i do hope you find your dog,i could only imagine the worrying you must be going through.............

Ribble July 6th, 2004 08:30 PM

Yah, still no luck.

Followed most of your suggestions Luba, thanks again for the great help.

She was spooked in the woods when our other dog(border collie) got into a scruff with two other dogs. My mother didn't see her disappear, and we haven't heard a single sound from her yet. The lady who was walking the other dogs told my mother(eventually) she had seen Kira on the trail ahead of her, but she ran into the woods again.

We had one phone-call today giving us a tip, if it's correct Kira seems to be moving in the right direction, back to our house.

I wish we had a 'tracking chip'. It was one of the first things we checked, but alas, not on her. Thanks for the kind words all.

Luba July 6th, 2004 08:35 PM

Take your border collie out to the area you think she is at ....if the wind is blowing the right direction she may smell her pal.

I don't know if your border collie is a barker but if you can get out there and get the dog to bark, that would be great.

Good that you got a phone call, that is great news :D are you confident from the call it was your dog?

Go out as frequently as you can and just keep calling and calling and calling.

I've suggested to people if they know the dog is in a certain area to take a portable BBQ out and cook some stinky burgers and hot dogs. The smell of the food will bring the dog to you. It worked bringing a lost dog outta the woods once :D So it's worth a try if you know the area.

Very best of luck.

Goldenmom July 6th, 2004 08:38 PM

All great ideas Luba! I hope you find this beautiful dog soon! I agree about taking your other dog out to the woods.

Heather

Guelphcatlover July 17th, 2004 04:59 PM

Good news! I heard that Kira has been found and is back at home, safe and sound. Hopefully Ribble will post soon with details. :)

glasslass July 17th, 2004 06:14 PM

What a bright spot in the day! Anxious to hear details! :D

chico2 July 17th, 2004 08:11 PM

That's great news..we do LOVE good news posts.It would be interesting to know,when and how she was found,she's a sweetie :D

marko August 12th, 2004 11:12 AM

Kira - FOUND AND HEALTHY

Hello, just wanted to let you know that we found Kira (black, white &
tan sheltie). She was alone, scared and very hungry, many miles from
home. She is happy and healthy again. Thanks.

(Message was posted for Ribble)

Luba August 12th, 2004 11:48 AM

YIPPIE I'm so happy!!
I love happy endings :D

Ribble August 24th, 2004 05:32 PM

Ack, very, very sorry to post so late. You already know the good news, she was found after 12 or so days, around 12km from home. In great condition besides a sunburned nose and some weight-loss. We had the help of some great people who kept us updated with her location. Many thanks to everyone here who helped as well, and thanks also to Marko for posting for us . :)