Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Tech talk (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Help Needed for Computer Dummy (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59978)

rainbow January 16th, 2009 03:32 PM

Help Needed for Computer Dummy

Can someone explain to me in "easy to understand" terms how to fix my problem? :D

I have a cd that plays the video okay but not the music. :frustrated: What do I need to do to fix my computer settings? :o

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 03:42 PM

Just to clarify, it's a CD of a powerpoint presentation with a large music file (51.8 M) imbedded. Total size of the powerpoint package was about 76 M if I'm remembering correctly... It [I]was[/I] packaged with the powerpoint player.

:o

rainbow January 16th, 2009 03:45 PM

All I know is that it plays the video but not the sound. :shrug:

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 03:48 PM

No error messages?

Is it starting up automatically (which is how it played on my machine) or do you have to start it up in another software program?

rainbow January 16th, 2009 03:52 PM

I do not get any error messages and the cd starts up automatically.

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 03:56 PM

Oh, crap. I hope the cold didn't fry the CD. Is that possible? :eek:

Hmmmm... Try this. Put in the CD and let it start, then hit ESC. The show should stop. Then click on My Computer and when that comes up, [I]right[/I] click on the CD drive with the disk still in there and tell me what you see.

:yell: I hope I included the music file! :o

breeze January 16th, 2009 03:57 PM

stupid question but is your sound on?? do you have to turn up the volume??

I'm sorry but it happened to me, I by accendent pressed the mute button:o

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:00 PM

I've done the same thing, breeze :laughing:

aslan January 16th, 2009 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;732839]stupid question but is your sound on?? do you have to turn up the volume??

I'm sorry but it happened to me, I by accendent pressed the mute button:o[/QUOTE]

lol, i thought the exact same thing, i've done it too.

rainbow January 16th, 2009 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;732836]Oh, crap. I hope the cold didn't fry the CD. Is that possible? :eek:

Hmmmm... Try this. Put in the CD and let it start, then hit ESC. The show should stop. Then click on My Computer and when that comes up, [I]right[/I] click on the CD drive with the disk still in there and tell me what you see.

:yell: I hope I included the music file! :o[/QUOTE]

You're asking ME if that's possible? :laughing:

Okay I will try your suggestion but have to write down the instructions first. :D

rainbow January 16th, 2009 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;732839]stupid question but is your sound on?? do you have to turn up the volume??

I'm sorry but it happened to me, I by accendent pressed the mute button:o[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;732840]I've done the same thing, breeze :laughing:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=aslan;732841]lol, i thought the exact same thing, i've done it too.[/QUOTE]

LOL.....that is ONE of the things rainbow does remember to check. :p :o

breeze January 16th, 2009 04:08 PM

:laughing::laughing:
glad I'm not the only person around that did that..:laughing::laughing:

breeze January 16th, 2009 04:12 PM

hazel is there a way rainbow can see if there is a music file with it??

like properties?? would that tell her??

breeze January 16th, 2009 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;732836]Oh, crap. I hope the cold didn't fry the CD. Is that possible? :eek:

:yell: I hope I included the music file! :o[/QUOTE]

oops I must be really slow today.. sorry

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:14 PM

I'm busy trying to recreate the disk so I can see if there's another way to play it.... :o

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:22 PM

oh crap....

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:25 PM

I got a funny message about the music track when I tried to package it.

If you can right click on the CD drive and check properties, it should tell you how much used space is on the disk, rainbow. It should be over 70 M...if it's not, we've got a problem :o

rainbow January 16th, 2009 04:27 PM

Okay, I did what you said and then right clicked on the cd (heaven on earth) and then clicked on Properties and this is what it said:

[B][U]Under the General Tab[/U][/B]

Free Space 661MB
Total Size 680MB

[B][U]Under the Auto Play Tab[/U][/B]

Select a content type then choose an action for Windows to perform automatically when that type is used in this device and there's a drop down box with these choices:

Music files
Pictures
Video Files
Mixed content
Music cd

The "music files" was the choice that it was already set on and that is what played the video but not the music.

And, btw, I have Windows XP if you need to know that. :shrug:

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:28 PM

:yell: :wall: :cry:

I think I sent you the wrong disk. :sad: If it says 18.7 M used space, then I did.

:laughing: Aren't you glad I sent it? LOL And you anticipated it so eagerly for all those weeks! :laugh: :o :laughing:

I'm sorry...this shouldn't be striking me as funny, but dirty brackenfratz, that's just crackign me up! :laugh: *wheeze wheeze* :laughing:

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:32 PM

Oy....gasp gasp gasp...oy my shtomack...

There's no music, rainbow. hazel screwed up big time. :o

I must've just ignored that message about the music track when I made the disk (it was late at night, as I recall). When I played it from my CD drive the music was fine [I]because I have it out on my hard drive and it knew where to look! :wall:[/I]

Let's see if I can fix this and then I'll send it again. You should get it...oh...about July 12th! :laughing:

I'm so sorry.... :o

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:33 PM

Oy, I'm still wheezing...the dogs think I'm nuts...

Probably, you do, too, eh? :o

rainbow January 16th, 2009 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;732857]I got a funny message about the music track when I tried to package it.

If you can right click on the CD drive and check properties, it should tell you how much used space is on the disk, rainbow. It should be over 70 M...if it's not, we've got a problem :o[/QUOTE]

It says:

Used Space 18.7MB
Free Space 661MB
Capacity 680MB

rainbow January 16th, 2009 04:35 PM

:laugh:

Ummmm...no problem, Hazel. :D

At least the weather should be fine by then and the planes will be landing regular. :laughing:

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:35 PM

Yep...18.7 M of slides. :rolleyes:

If I'd done it right, it would have been over 70 M. I think I'm gonna hafta try to rename the music file--the name of the file was too long--that's the [I]only[/I] reason it couldn't copy it to the CD :rolleyes:

[size=1]*sigh*[/size]

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow;732868]:laugh:

Ummmm...no problem, Hazel. :D

At least the weather should be fine by then and the planes will be landing regular. :laughing:[/QUOTE]

:laughing: That was my thought, too! :p :laughing:

See, rainbow? You're not such a computer dummy. Everything went great once you got it! It was the stuff at this end that was shtoopid! :D

breeze January 16th, 2009 04:40 PM

couldn't you just email her the music hazel, so she can open the email while watch the slide show??

rainbow January 16th, 2009 04:43 PM

Well I don't understand any of the technical stuff....I just put things in and push a button then if stuff doesn't work I'm screwed. :rolleyes:

So here is a stoopid question....

You mentioned that you couldn't use a "share site" as the max size allowed is 50M and the music track is 51.9M .......couldn't you just shorten the music? :o

rainbow January 16th, 2009 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;732873]couldn't you just email her the music hazel, so she can open the email while watch the slide show??[/QUOTE]

Hopefully that will work. :D :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Chris21711 January 16th, 2009 04:48 PM

I saw the thread title and thought, pfft I didn't give anyone the authoritay to open a thread in my name :clown:

hazelrunpack January 16th, 2009 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow;732875]So here is a stoopid question....

You mentioned that you couldn't use a "share site" as the max size allowed is 50M and the music track is 51.9M .......couldn't you just shorten the music? :o[/QUOTE]

Not a stupid question...I thought of that, but I don't have any software that allows me to edit the music. :frustrated:

[QUOTE=breeze;732873]couldn't you just email her the music hazel, so she can open the email while watch the slide show??[/QUOTE]

Sigh...I wish. :o It's 51.8 M in size so too big for me to email. Plus the powerpoint presentation has been told that the file is in that spot on my hard drive and therefore, even if I could email the music, it wouldn't know where to look.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to cut down the size of a music file? :shrug: