Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The sad update (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8970)

mastifflover November 2nd, 2004 01:51 PM

The sad update

Thank you all so much BUT we had a serious incident last night. George bit my friend Shannon, she went to the hospital and see recieved 9 yes 9 stitches in her hand and wrist. Luckily no tendon or muscle damage. She did absolutely nothing to provoke it she was patting him and he was wiggling around and all of a sudden turned a bit her. Now this is not a person who doesn't know about dogs her mom is the lead Cruelty investigator with the OSPCA. They always have fosters. There was no warning growl either. Now I knew he had an aggression issue with his toys and food but none of these were involved, and Shannon knew about his issues. Her mom said that before we knew how bad the bite was that she was not going to report it but in light of the severity of the bite the hospital called the police. So I called animal control and reported the bite to them and I am know sitting here waiting to here from them as to whether they want to quarantine him or PTS. I am leaning towards the later because first I do not want anybody or myself bit and I don't want anything to happen to my baby Buddy. I spoke to the woman at the rescue and she is tending to agree with me about this. She did disclose all of Georges issues and I said that I would like to try with him because he was going to be PTS because she could not adopt him out to anybody with kids and knowing his issues there was not another choice, but this unprovoked attack I think has sealed this darling little boys fate. I would love your opinions on this because I know that you will not sugar coat it. It is such a shame because he is a really sweet and nice boy and if he would have had a better life he would have been great, I can see he has potential.

sammiec November 2nd, 2004 01:57 PM

Oh Robin. I am so very sorry to hear about your ordeal. I hope that you're friend recovers just fine.

I can imagine just how difficult this might be for you. You really had your heart in the right place! Best of Luck with your decision. I am behind you 100%. It's a potentially dangerous situation, for a person or child, you and Buddy. I hope everything works out. :sad:

Cflat November 2nd, 2004 02:00 PM

Wow that is very sad indeed.
Mastifflover, I will not tell you what I think you should do nor what I think I would do in your shoes. It would be unfair in my opinion as only you know this dog as well as your own circumstances.
I know that you will make the right decision based on your heart and your head. Only the best to you.

jackieb November 2nd, 2004 02:01 PM

oh sorry

oh sorry mastiff love i have no suggestions but you have to be careful specially if it was an unprovoct attack. Hopefully someone has some suggestions for you.

sorry robin
you were kind to take him in and give him a chance :sorry:

Copper'sMom November 2nd, 2004 02:02 PM

I'm sooo sorry to hear what happened. That is awful. There must be some explanation isn't there?? Could George have a sore spot or something?? There are rehabilitation programs for aggressive dogs. He could be enrolled in one but then who will want to pay for it??

It is an absolute shame. Just remember whatever happens Mastifflover, that you gave George a chance and you've done what you can to help him. I don't know what I would do in your situation! I hope others can help you out. :(

Lucky Rescue November 2nd, 2004 02:21 PM

I"m so sorry to hear this, and very sorry your friend was hurt. BYB English Bulldogs are often genetic messes and this behavior is very untypical of the breed, who should be sweet, tolerant and gentle with people.:(

9 stitches is a very serious bite. There are thousands of wonderful dogs who would never bite anyone sitting in shelters and being killed every day. I guess a biter may be rehabilitated with tons of work and money and even then it's hard to ever trust the dog again. You can't take the chance that this dog may bite someone else and cause maybe a serious injury for them and finanacial ruin for you.

You did your best to help this dog, but sometimes we cannot undo the damage caused by irresponsible, greedy and unscrupulous people.

Again, so sorry for all of you. :sad:

mastifflover November 2nd, 2004 03:57 PM

[QUOTE]There must be some explanation isn't there?? Could George have a sore spot or something?? There are rehabilitation programs for aggressive dogs. He could be enrolled in one but then who will want to pay for it?? [/QUOTE]
I think from what the rescue told me was that he spent too much time in a crate day and night and went to a training school that she said was very aggressive with the dogs and I honestly dont think he was ever cuddled and made a big fuss about. He had entrophen eye which they never fixed it is painful and it caused scratches on his cornea. He had the surgery as soon as he was taken in rescue. So that is one issue and Shannon was right in front of him not off to the side and he was happy and playing. The schools might work but I can not afford that at this time. I also need to point out that this boy is on the small side at 50 pounds and not very well muscled which when he became a nicely built dog jhe would be even more powerful. I want to thank everybody for their kind words this is a hard decision but I need to be responsible and I would not be if this boy ever bit someone else.

Goldenmom November 2nd, 2004 04:13 PM

I have nothing to add. I am so sorry you are put into this position, but you are a very level headed person who I know will do the right thing.

I'm sorry....

Heather

Mysts38 November 2nd, 2004 04:16 PM

MastiffLover

Iam really so sorry for your situation,but I think you know in your heart what needs to be done..This guy cant be rehomed,and its no life for him,living in fear or anxiety.

I think you would feel more at peace,knowing that you helped this guy to the rainbow bridge,knowing he was safe from harm and could harm no one again.

Peace be with you

Sheriffmom November 2nd, 2004 08:48 PM

I am sooo sorry Mastifflover. My heart is just breaking for both you and George. I thank you from the bottom of my heart though for being kind enough to take him in a give him some love. Again, I am so very sorry. If you need help with anything, or help financially with anything to do with him, please PM me. Thanks again for trying to give this boy a second chance. :angel:

mastifflover November 3rd, 2004 10:02 AM

Thank you all for your kind words and support I really appreciate it. I still have George probably till Friday so his last night he and Buddy will be getting a special dinner steak for the boys and a long play date at the school yard. One place I know that I can take him and know that he can be off leash with Buddy for one last hurrah.

sammiec November 3rd, 2004 10:06 AM

We're thinking about you guys!

raingirl November 3rd, 2004 11:42 AM

Oh my goodness!

I'm so sorry Robin! I was rooting for the little guy! I know we were hoping he could get over these issues. I hope that Buddy and George have a nice time out.

*hugs*

Cinnabear November 3rd, 2004 01:02 PM

Oh Mastifflover, how heartbreaking for you. :sorry: that it turned out this way for you. Take care.

Bugsy November 3rd, 2004 01:48 PM

OMG Mastiff, I just noticed this thread.... :sorry:

Poor Georgie, He is a victim of circumstances.

Try contacting this group. They sometimes take in rescues & work with
the dog before re-homing him....worth a try. :sad:

[url]http://www.caninecollegeclub.com/contact_us.htm[/url]

krdahmer November 3rd, 2004 02:20 PM

I like Bugsy's suggestion....life is always worth a try.

Sheriffmom November 3rd, 2004 03:58 PM

Hey Mastiff,
We took Sheriff to Canine College Club for 3 days (doggie day care part of it) he loved it, and we are still in contact with the owner (Ashley). The staff there seemed to genuinely care and love all the dogs.
I know they helped out a boxer a while back who was severly abused. If you want I can give her a call for you? Let me know.

mastifflover November 3rd, 2004 04:29 PM

At this point I can't do anything until I hear from Public Health and Animal Control. But I like the idea of helping him because as I have said before I think their is a great dog in there.

sammiec November 3rd, 2004 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=mastifflover]At this point I can't do anything until I hear from Public Health and Animal Control. But I like the idea of helping him because as I have said before I think their is a great dog in there.[/QUOTE]
Have they placed George in quarantine?

mastifflover November 3rd, 2004 05:25 PM

They have not even called me back since I reported the bite and I spoke with Shannons mom this morning and she had not heard from them either. If this the way they are dealing with situations they are going to need to hire hundreds of people to deal with the village idiots ban.

Dwight Byrd November 3rd, 2004 07:41 PM

Sorry Robin

:sorry: to hear what had happened Robin. I commend you for everything that you have done. :thumbs up I Just wanted to let you know that you are being thought of. Whatever happens, you have my support and thoughts.

Iggette November 4th, 2004 07:42 AM

mastifflover...I fully agree with and understand what you are trying to do, I hope this is all over soon and hope your friend is ok. What a sad situation for you to have to endure :sorry:

Leila Kullar November 5th, 2004 12:09 AM

Hi Mastiff Lover. I went through a similiar situation. I had to euthanize a dog I rescued this summer. It was sad situation. I tried for over 8 months to rehabilitate this dog who was so wonderful in so many ways. But in the end, he was a danger to me as he was a severe guarder of high vauluable items. After having him poked and prodded by a vet, taking him to a vet behaviorist and having a few trainers help him, we came to the final, awful conclusion that this was no life for a dog. He wa so contained (couldn't walk him anywhere except in isolation, couldn't be in the car, couldn't have anyone in the house). Thank God, he never was adopted out. I loved that dog and his ashes are now buried in my back yard. It was hard to let go. I still live with some guilt and always will. But no matter how hard you try, something that are broken can't be fixed so we let him go. His last day was spent on an empty beach with my sister and me and he got MacDonald's hamburgers for his last meal. In your heart of hearts, you know what the right thing is for this guy. I feel for you because I have been there.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs November 5th, 2004 10:46 PM

I'm very sorry to hear this :(

2Cats November 9th, 2004 11:25 PM

The situation is very sad, but I agree that you have made the right decision. A dog which attacks people unprovoked must be PTS. Serious financial liability can result from an attack should the victim feel litigious. A dog should be a dependable companion, not something you have to fear and walk on eggshells around.

MIA November 18th, 2004 06:43 PM

So Sorry

One thing you need to remember when you do rescue or have rescued a dog is that you weren't the person that abused the dog. You are the "good guy" in trying to help and love the animal :love: . It's a horrible decision to make and as a rescue I hate doing it, thankfully I've only had to make that decision twice in 5 years. One part of being a responsible pet owner or rescuer is keeping not only your pets safe but also the people around them.

I recently suffered a bad bite to my face by a rescued dog, unprovoked and very scary. I didn't ask for the dog to be PTS but wanted the family to make the decision themselves. I didn't have to live with the dog so in reality it didn't directly affect me. BUT I would have been devistated if it happened again. I walked away with approx 30 stitches in my face/ear and some emotional scars with it. They did in the end decide to PTS the dog as they weren't comfortable with him and couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. It was a horrible decision for them to make but a responsible one. Thier family will now be safe as well as the folks that visit. I recall saying at the hospital that I didn't want him put down and I felt horrible that it happened BUT it did and did it without any warning to me. That's not safe.

Being bitten isn't a lovely experience but since this experience I realized that while rescue is important, helping animals and adopting animals is very important, it's also important for animals and people to be safe and happy.

The way I see it, for the dog that bit me, he wasn't alone, he went knowing he was loved and thankfully he knew some kindness in his life. It wasn't a waste saving him and helping him, if they didn't he would know nothing but cruelty.

maddoxies November 18th, 2004 07:21 PM

alternative solutions

Poor Robin, and George.

I have heard on another site, of someone with a rescue dog who was great 95% of the time and then would turn into Helldog.

After consulting with their vet, they had several of the dog's teeth removed (especially the canines). The dog can still have a fully functional life, but now these people can handle the dog and help him over his behavioural problems without such a risk of being severely bitten.

It is an FYI for what it is worth.

I had to put down one of our foster dogs earlier this week (cancer). Even though the dog was sick and it was in his best interest, the waiting over the weekend for the appointment on Monday was very hard. I can only draw on this experience to even imagine what you are going through waiting for the phone to ring.

All our paws are crossed and our prayers are with your friend, you and George, that everyone will be all right and something can be worked out. :love: