Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Tech talk (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Free Antivirus Downloads? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52807)

rainbow May 31st, 2008 01:53 PM

Free Antivirus Downloads?

Does anyone know of any safe and reliable free antivirus programs other than AVG or Avast?

I had AVG 7.5 but had to upgrade to AVG 8 in order to be able to get the daily updates after May 31st. I have tried and tried to install it but my computer won't do it even after I uninstalled the old version. :frustrated: I keep getting the message "action failed for setupus.ins:creating file File open failed Error 0xe001042c" :wall:

I also tried to do the same with Avast and have the same problem over and over again. :frustrated: I get the message "inable to verify product Error 0x000000002" :wall:

AVG and Avast are the only two free programs that I know are safe to use. :o I hope someone can recommend something else :fingerscr so I can start using my computer again. :yell:

Tommysmom May 31st, 2008 04:02 PM

Sorry Rainbow, I only know AVG:o. This might be a dumb question, but did you re-boot after un-installing AVG and then check to see if it was gone? I had to do this twice before it would let me download the new version 8, for some reason it wasn't uninstalling properly (and then right after that my laptop fried so it was useless anyway:frustrated:).

breeze May 31st, 2008 04:05 PM

Mike had the same problem and the computer downstairs also

so we downloaded this..
it works well and safe and easy to use..

get rid all of the others and try and download this

[url]http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/[/url]

let me know..

want4rain May 31st, 2008 05:02 PM

pc-cillin.com has a house call for already existing issues.

-ashley

Kinguni June 2nd, 2008 02:06 PM

The free personal edition of [URL="http://www.free-av.com/"]Avira AntiVir[/URL] is very good. Sounds like you have issues on that computer though.

14+kitties June 2nd, 2008 02:11 PM

I just have the new AVG. I didn't bother taking my old AVG off. The new one did it for me. When I first tried to get it I had issues too. My son in law sent me a link and it worked much better. I will PM it to you if you wish.

aslan June 2nd, 2008 02:17 PM

Any of us with avast 4 home can copy the file and e-mail it to you rainbow. I have it on both computers and have no problem. Let me know and if so i need your e-address.

Obviously you can get online, try going straight to alwils site, they manufacture avast, look for avast home. Might be where you got your copy that's causing the problem.

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=Tommysmom;599971]Sorry Rainbow, I only know AVG:o. This might be a dumb question, but did you re-boot after un-installing AVG and then check to see if it was gone? I had to do this twice before it would let me download the new version 8, for some reason it wasn't uninstalling properly (and then right after that my laptop fried so it was useless anyway:frustrated:).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, TM.....yep, I did. :D Someone told me that the sites that offer free software will sometimes cause installation errors to try and get you to purchase their paid versions. :shrug:

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=want4rain;600024]pc-cillin.com has a house call for already existing issues.

-ashley[/QUOTE]

Thanks W4R .....I have run the Housecalls program before and will do so again....thanks for the reminder. :thumbs up

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=Kinguni;600294]The free personal edition of [URL="http://www.free-av.com/"]Avira AntiVir[/URL] is very good. Sounds like you have issues on that computer though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Kinguini.....I downloaded Avira Antivir last night. It doesn't include email protection though so I hope to find something that does. :)

[QUOTE=14+kitties;600300]I just have the new AVG. I didn't bother taking my old AVG off. The new one did it for me. When I first tried to get it I had issues too. My son in law sent me a link and it worked much better. I will PM it to you if you wish.[/QUOTE]

Thanks 14+.....I never had a problem with AVG that last two times I upgraded. I tried from several sites including the one you pm'd me. :shrug: Maybe they think I've used their services for free long enough and the info I posted above is true. :laughing:

[QUOTE=aslan;600307]Any of us with avast 4 home can copy the file and e-mail it to you rainbow. I have it on both computers and have no problem. Let me know and if so i need your e-address.

Obviously you can get online, try going straight to alwils site, they manufacture avast, look for avast home. Might be where you got your copy that's causing the problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, aslan.....I downloaded Avast a couple of times and it wouldn't instal either. :frustrated: I kept getting the message "Avast unable to verify product Error 0x000000002". :shrug: Couldn't figure out how come they couldn't verify their own product. :confused:

aslan June 2nd, 2008 02:43 PM

like i said hon, if you want i'll email you my copy that is up and running as we speak see if that helps.

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;599975]Mike had the same problem and the computer downstairs also

so we downloaded this..
it works well and safe and easy to use..

get rid all of the others and try and download this

[url]http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/[/url]

let me know..[/QUOTE]

Thanks Breeze.....I just had a look at the site and it includes email protection. :thumbs up I'm going to go try it now......I hope it works for me. :fingerscr

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=aslan;600322]like i said hon, if you want i'll email you my copy that is up and running as we speak see if that helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks aslan. I'm going to try the pc tools site first. I used to use their Spyware Doctor product when it was free and really liked it. If it doesn't work out I'll get back to you. :o

aslan June 2nd, 2008 02:54 PM

just out of curiosity, is something wrong with your comp, what happened to your old antivirus, ummmm sure i can think of other questions.

14+kitties June 2nd, 2008 03:30 PM

IF none of the above suggestions work....... :o maybe try

[url]http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=free_tools_trials[/url]

It is the one my son in law used when he was in university. He said it worked really well. :shrug:

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=aslan;600331]just out of curiosity, is something wrong with your comp, what happened to your old antivirus, ummmm sure i can think of other questions.[/QUOTE]

I've used AVG Free for several years and this is the first time I've had any problems with upgrading to the newer version. :shrug: And, I have no idea why I could not get Avast to install :shrug: :frustrated: other than the fact about the :censored: big black cloud that's been following us around for the last year and a half. :frustrated: :wall:

After I finally ended up installing Avira, I did a scan and it found a Trojan on my computer :eek: but it did get rid of it for me. :thumbs up It was obviously something that AVG had missed previously since pets.ca was the only website I dared to go on with any protection other than the antivirus websites. :o

Anyways, I tried to install AVG after getting rid of the Trojan but it still wouldn't install. :frustrated: So now I'm going to go try the website Breeze gave me. :fingerscr

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;600356]IF none of the above suggestions work....... :o maybe try

[url]http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=free_tools_trials[/url]

It is the one my son in law used when he was in university. He said it worked really well. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Thanks.....I've thought of them. You can only use it free for 30 days but at least it would give me some protection until I can find something else. I'm really hoping that the suggestion Breeze gave me will work as it sounds pretty good. :fingerscr

aslan June 2nd, 2008 03:44 PM

k couple more questions, where were you installing the avast from? Do you run an anti spam/spyware program, if not go to downloads.com and search for a program called adaware.

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=aslan;600365]k couple more questions, where were you installing the avast from? Do you run an anti spam/spyware program, if not go to downloads.com and search for a program called adaware.[/QUOTE]

I tried Avast from their website and also from download.com and got the same message every time. I have been using Ad Aware :thumbs up for several years now and also Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack June 2nd, 2008 03:55 PM

We run Adaware and Spybot. Also Symantec, but the upgrades they've been supplying are so frikkin' big that my connection times out before I can download them, so right now my Symantec definitions are seriously outdated. I run Adaware and Spybot scans manually, and Spybot runs some checks on its own (it's been flagging registry changes from a couple of installs I did recently, so I'm confident that it's on the job). So far I've found nothing too terrible...one of the beauties of dial-up is that not even the viruses want you! :laughing: [SIZE="1"]Now I've jinxed it...by tomorrow, I'll be fighting a serious trojan/virus/key-logger problem...I'm [B]sure[/B] of it! :eek:[/SIZE]

breeze June 2nd, 2008 04:31 PM

just to let you know rainbow.. since I have installed pc tools on mikes and the comp downstairs no problem updating or running..

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 05:58 PM

[B]WOOOO HOOOO .....it worked !!! :highfive:[/B]

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: [B]Breeze[/B] :2huggers:

breeze June 2nd, 2008 06:31 PM

:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

does that mean you will be on the site more??:fingerscr

hehe

I'm glad it worked

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=breeze;600479]

does that mean you will be on the site more??:fingerscr

[/QUOTE]

Yep......I'm back. :evil:

rainbow June 2nd, 2008 06:46 PM

And, btw, I also downloaded PC Tools Firewall Plus while I was at it since I also just found out that the one that comes with Windows XP is not very good as it only protects against incoming threats.

growler~GateKeeper June 3rd, 2008 01:06 AM

I know you've got one already but just seeing this now & I just wanted to second W4R's suggestion of [url=http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/personal/?WT.mc_id=2008HP_Home_ProductsOverview]Trend Micro pc-cillin[/url] they have 30 day free trials. I do have a slightly different version than whats listed here and I love it! :D

angeldogs June 3rd, 2008 08:56 AM

I use Avast.when you unistall a program.the files stay in your pc so you have to also do a search and delete all the files that come up with the search before installing the new program