Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hair loss and nasal discharge (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63733)

TulipRoxy June 28th, 2009 01:33 PM

Hair loss and nasal discharge

My cat Alaska has some hair loss around his eyes. I have also noticed that the area is a little bit flakey. He doesnt seem too itchy, and the rest of his coat is really nice. He also has some brown nasal discharge. Its not runny at all but almost looks like he has dirt in his nose!

He used to have some hair loss on his ears, which grew back in. I took him to the vet at the time and the vet said it may have been from excessive grooming. Also they tested him for ringworm and it came out negative. She also said she doubted that it was an endocrine problem such as hypothyroidism as he had none of the the symptoms.

Has anyone ever seen something like this in their cats or have any ideas what it is?

ownedbycats June 28th, 2009 06:29 PM

Our kitten/cat MooBoots just started this, I noticed the missing fur on his eyelid last night so I have no idea what it is, but if anyone can help, I too would love to know.

bendyfoot June 30th, 2009 09:03 AM

Heidi (our dog) lost hair on her eyelids and it turned out to be mange.

Do cats get mange??? :confused:

TulipRoxy June 30th, 2009 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=bendyfoot;795031]Heidi (our dog) lost hair on her eyelids and it turned out to be mange.

Do cats get mange??? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Hmm..yeah cats can get mange, but I am confused that my other cat doesnt have any symptoms. Also it hasnt spread at all, just around the eyes and mange tends to spread all over.

Thanks for the input!

ancientgirl June 30th, 2009 07:03 PM

I think Scabies is like mange, that's what Maks had when I found him. They had to give him several sulfur dip treatments.

Last year, Vlad had some bald patches on his head and neck I couldn't figure out, and neither could the vet. I bought some sulfur soap at the drug store and washed his bald patch area twice a day for a couple of weeks. His hair started growing back after a few days though, and he's never had any issues. My vet's even been recommending the soap to people with pets who have skin issues. Maybe that may help Alaska.:shrug:

bendyfoot July 2nd, 2009 10:23 AM

Heidi only had two or three small visible bald spots on her body, other than the hair loss on her eyelids...:shrug:

muggsmom July 2nd, 2009 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=TulipRoxy;795211]Hmm..yeah cats can get mange, but I am confused that my other cat doesnt have any symptoms. Also it hasnt spread at all, just around the eyes and mange tends to spread all over.

Thanks for the input![/QUOTE]

When Muggs had mange it was just on his ears and our other dog didn't get it. It can be triggered by stress or a lowered immune system. With a runny nose, definitely a possibility.