Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   to muzzle? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83437)

minmin12 February 10th, 2013 06:32 AM

to muzzle?

[B][/B]I have never even thought about this, never had an issue with any puppy. He is excellent indoors however outside he is a terror on four legs. He loves people all ages and dogs too. When he notices a person he immediately jumps up at them, whines as if I am beating him I have to for warn everyone as he is teething still. He understands so much I really do not want to muzzle him I find that cruel. Any suggestions this is Moses mommy again. His testronic level is extremely high not due to be neutered until April won't allow thank you in advance :shrug:

Longblades February 10th, 2013 08:19 AM

How old is this puppy? What is his breeding?

Do not muzzle him. Search this site, there are several tricks and methods for thwarting nipping. Yelp. Anticipate the nip and get a toy in his mouth BEFORE he bites. Don't play with your hands. Time outs. Chew toys.

Jumping. Ditto, search the site for methods to discourage this behaviour.

Neither jumping nor play biting have anything to do with testosterone. They are not sexually dimorphic behaviours. They are simply normal puppy behaviours. Please, please do not count on neutering to magically correct behaviour problems, you have to correct these behaviours now, yourself.

Are you taking him to training classes? A trainer will show YOU how to teach him to behave himself. Puppy classes are just the start, though since I have no idea how old he is, maybe he is too young for more than that right now.

He sounds like a lovely, friendly puppy who needs nothing more than his loving owner to teach him how to control himself and keep his exuberance in check. :)

minmin12 February 11th, 2013 06:50 AM

Longblades

I do everything you have mentioned. I realize it has nothing to do with his testorone. I have trained 4 dogs now what I am doing with him is when he decides to jump when going for a walk he is verbally reprimanded. I have never used my hands to play with he has blue and yellow balls only colour dogs could see and when he decides to go into munch mood I give him his chew toy. He had been born October 21,12. His father is an A.K.A registered Mastiff and mother is Labrador black. Both are used for breeding purposes including the cops go to breeders home with their dogs to train. I have an intelligent dog he learns quickly the munchy part going to take allot more training on my part. Thank you:)

Longblades February 11th, 2013 08:44 AM

I'm so glad to hear you say you know this has nothing to do with testosterone and everything to do with training. I just hate it when I see people being told neutering is a magic fix-all, as I know I was years ago.

OK then, onward. :) If cops go to the breeders home for training, can you go too? This is a big dog. You cannot, cannot, cannot have him jumping on people. He will hurt someone, he will frighten someone and you can get into an awful lot of trouble.

In my case I could not have a 70 lb Lab jumping on my then 90 (now 94 :)) year old mother. All of those other methods you hear about, like be a tree; look at the sky; reward for sitting; no pets from the other person till he sits; they didn't work and he was getting bigger and bigger. And of course Grandma is one of his favourite people in the whole world and she didn't help matter with her actions. :)

Here's what one trainer showed our whole class for jumping. I call it the Yank 'Em Down method. It's a bit rough. Pup on flat collar on leash. You need a helper. Helper encourages pup to jump on them. When he does you yank him down and use your word for not jumping. That's it.

The little poodle mix understood in one go and no matter how hard the other person encouraged he would not jump again. The other lab took two yanks, my boy took three.

One nice thing about this is that it thwarts all those other people you meet who unwittingly or on purpose get your dog to jump. It's a bit rough, as I said, and if you worry about judging properly how hard to yank and worry about risking injury then don't do it. With mastiff blood in there I suspect you might not have this worry and indeed might lack the strength needed. Depends how big and strong he is.

As for the nipping, my guy got to 6 months and just didn't anymore. One day we were playing and I realized, HEy, he's not mouthing me. I guess it took months of avoiding teeth, chastising teeth, and re=drecting and he finally got it.

Good luck. Post pictures. :)

Goldfields February 11th, 2013 08:47 PM

Longblades, they usually stop all this the minute teething finishes, at about, oh, 6 months. LOL. I long for the day with Roo, I'm sure his mother was crossed with a snapping turtle. I do appreciate hearing your advice to minmin12 because I hurried through to see if there was anything I wasn't trying yet on Roo. His latest trick is jumping and latching onto clothing, either on the line or on me. He was - is - right into coat tugging and wanting to mount Jarrah and his breeder said it's not testosterone too, to which I replied "Well, heaven help us when it is!" :eek: LOL. When he barks at and wants to get after my sheep I will admit to a stray thought about putting him in with them to be taught a lesson, but when all is said and done, they are only babies and even if they push all the buttons they can find, and seem to have no off switch themselves, they are easily hurt. He pushed it too far with Dundee this morning and Dundee attacked, hurting Roo's eye. Poor baby!
minmin12, another thing you could distract your boy with is an apple, or a carrot stick. I find Roo has a very short attention span so I have to think up new things all the time for him. While he is munching on an apple, he isn't chewing on Jarrah. If you give something like that when a visitor arrives it may help.