Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat behavior forum - cat training (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Humping behaviour with spay/neuter cats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78175)

marko August 7th, 2011 03:02 PM

Humping behaviour with spay/neuter cats

Hi members,

Curious to know your opinions. So our 2 new cats have started engaging in humping behaviour even though they were both altered. Baci (male 2ish) was neutered but we have no idea when.
Twiggy (female, 6) was spayed late in life.

I actually spied on them when baci tried to mount twiggy. The behavioural gesture was there but there was no intercourse.

My main concern is the fact that baci has [B]very[/B] sharp teeth and when he's engaging in this behaviour, he leaves teeth-marks in her neck. He does not draw blood but the marks are visible when he is done. I know mothers carry their young by the necks, but will sharp teeth on an adult female's neck be painful?

(Twiggy makes little noises when this is all happening but she does not appear to be making pain noises.)

What would you do? Thanks!

marko August 9th, 2011 07:14 AM

So it seems Sunday was the day of love - on Monday they behaved themselves.

But still wondering if anyone has advice or experience to share on this matter.

Thx! marko

14+kitties August 9th, 2011 11:28 PM

Well, no danger of pregnancy, they are both enjoying it or not at the point where she wants to kill him, he isn't drawing blood but just holding her the way they would if everything was working so let them have at it. That is part of what happens when you adopt older pets who have been used for breeding or who were not fixed before experiencing mating. :shrug:

marko August 10th, 2011 09:17 AM

Thx for the comment 14+!
I kind of feel that way too. It really was the teeth pressure thing I was worried about and the fact that Twiggy is insanely vocal. She makes the weirdest and widest variety of noises I've ever heard a cat make.
Sometimes when she vocalizes i swear she sounds like a pterodactyl....it's nuts. She has a very high pitched voice and I haven't fully mastered her sounds yet.

My only concern here is for the biting on the neck, not the activity. He leaves vampire like marks on her neck that remain for a while, though again I see no blood.

The noises that she makes when Baci has her by the neck are somewhat confusing to my ear at times...now that more of this activity has taken place.
Sometimes they are higher pitched than others to the point where we think he might be hurting her. Then again she does seem to 'play coy' with Baci to the point that it seems like she wants him to mount her. :shrug:

It's really the marks on the neck that are my concern. How much punishment can a cat's neck take?

Any additional comments appreciated.
Thx again!

Winston August 10th, 2011 06:29 PM

Marko I dont have much to add other than that I have not experienced this with my kitties. Having said that I guess as long as Twiggy isnt objecting and Baci isnt hurting her I probably wouldnt worry. If it gets out of hand I would not want to allow that behaviour if possible. :thumbs up

Glad to see they are getting along!

chico2 August 11th, 2011 04:05 PM

Marko,my Rocky always tried to mount Chico and sometimes had him pinned down to the point Chico would cry,that's when I interfered.
Most cats I have had,will try to hump pillows or stuffed toys,it's not at all unusual.
The problem is with your girl IMO,she has no fur and I think it's quiet possible he will one day puncture her skin,but I am certainly no expert..