Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Owl live cam (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71642)

NoahGrey July 22nd, 2010 11:05 AM

Owl live cam

Great site. Watch Barn owls in real time.

[url]http://www.ustream.tv/theowlbox[/url]

NoahGrey July 22nd, 2010 11:19 AM

Molly is sitting on four eggs right now

NoahGrey July 26th, 2010 08:15 AM

cant wait for the eggs to hatch

marko July 28th, 2010 03:56 PM

That's super-cool NG - Thanks for sharing!

NoahGrey July 28th, 2010 04:40 PM

no problem Marko. I just can't believe there are not more posts on this. It is pretty amazing.

hazelrunpack July 28th, 2010 07:18 PM

I check in on the owls now and then, NG, but I just don't post. Once the eggs hatch and the activity picks up I'll likely check in on them more often. Right now Molly is putting me to sleep with all those naps :laughing:

NoahGrey July 29th, 2010 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;940112]I check in on the owls now and then, NG, but I just don't post. Once the eggs hatch and the activity picks up I'll likely check in on them more often. Right now Molly is putting me to sleep with all those naps :laughing:[/QUOTE]

lol, i know. she sleeps alot. I can't wait for the eggs to hatch either. Would love to see daddy too...however he is out and about getting mommy food:)

marko July 29th, 2010 12:11 PM

What a sleepy head she is. Some of the thumbnail videos show action but every time I check the main window, she's always sleeping. :shrug:

Oh wait - there she goes - preening. At least it's something :) :laughing:

NoahGrey August 6th, 2010 02:44 PM

Eggs will hatch anyday now:)

hazelrunpack August 6th, 2010 08:36 PM

When I checked this afternoon, one of the eggs was pipped and some could hear peeping (my speakers evidently aren't good enough for that :() So I suspect by tomorrow there could be hatchling(s) :thumbs up

mikischo August 6th, 2010 10:25 PM

Thanks for posting this link, NG.:thumbs up

Miss Molly has no idea she is such a celebrity.

mikischo August 7th, 2010 06:30 AM

The first owlet has hatched and his/her name is Ashley.:stork-baby:

hazelrunpack August 7th, 2010 09:17 AM

:highfive: [I]WoooooHoooooo hooooo hooooooo[/I] (Yes, that's supposed to be an owl joke! :o)

I gotta block of time all set up this afternoon so I can do some owlet watching. I just hope Molly is restless today so I can see the little dude / dudette! :fingerscr

NoahGrey August 7th, 2010 11:04 AM

Seen a little of the owlet. Mom was trying to ly on her to get too sleep lol. owlet was screeching away. Hear little peeps from 3 eggs that haven't hatched yet. Hopefully later today or the next day:)

hazelrunpack August 7th, 2010 11:55 AM

I'm envious that you can hear the peeps. My speakers don't seem to work at the right frequency...or else my ears have lost that frequency... :o

hazelrunpack August 7th, 2010 01:35 PM

Molly just stood up and you can see the wee little tyke! :flirt:

Golden Girls August 7th, 2010 06:53 PM

I was so eggcited to see little owlet "Ashley" being hatched this morning. Got a little nervous, at one point I thought she was eating it then all of a sudden she had it dangling from her beak and gently laid it under her, awesome :stork-baby: Molly sure has an audience ... people stayed up all night waiting then began to congratulate each other as grandparents :laughing:

mikischo August 8th, 2010 11:55 AM

Second owlet hatched about an hour ago. Name is Carrie.

Ashley had his/her first meal last night (mouse).:yuck:

hazelrunpack August 8th, 2010 04:01 PM

Yum! :laughing:

Ashley and Carrie! :flirt:

NoahGrey August 8th, 2010 07:00 PM

The babies are too cute.

NoahGrey August 9th, 2010 04:31 PM

She's feeding her two babies right now:)

mikischo August 10th, 2010 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=NoahGrey;943154]She's feeding her two babies right now:)[/QUOTE]

Just a few minutes ago she ate some of the latest stuff (rat) that McGee brought during the niight and fed some to her babies. Every now and then McGee seems to be a bit of a slacker and she gives him a scolding, but all in all he's a good provider.:) Some humans could use some lessons in responsible parenting from the animals.

NoahGrey August 10th, 2010 03:40 PM

Have any of you seen Mcgee? I haven't yet. How do you know that Molly gave him a scolding lol

hazelrunpack August 10th, 2010 04:51 PM

I haven't managed to see McGee yet, either, NG. In the chat window there was some discussion about another female prowling the neighborhood, too? And Molly defending her box? Or did I misread the conversation? (I didn't catch that altercation, either... :o)

mikischo August 10th, 2010 06:01 PM

I did see McGee come twice although the second time I think it may have been on one of those recorded videos under the live cam window. They do interact and communicate a lot with each other when he visits. Some say she scolded him once in the last couple of days when he came twice in a row without bringing food and he came back with food a short while later. Could very well be, but I didn't actually see it myself. I am not completely overcome with MOD (Molly Obsessive Disorder) so I do miss a lot too. I check it out two or three times a day and sometimes leave the website running in the background for a while when I am on the computer.

You can also see some still pics and info here:

[url]http://mollysbox.wordpress.com/blog/[/url]

One of them shows a pic of the first time Molly defended her box from the "intruder." It doesn't show the intruder, just Molly in a defensive posture and McGee sitting behind her watching. McGee is the small one. I guess male owls are usually smaller than the females. Apparently the intruder came back again the night before last and actually entered the box (I didn't see that). Apparently Molly actually used her beak and talons that time and threw her out right quick. There is some conjecture that the other female may be Wesley, one of her offspring from the first clutch but who knows for sure.:shrug:

NoahGrey August 11th, 2010 10:27 AM

oh wow, thanks for the info

marko August 11th, 2010 12:58 PM

So cool - I see baby owl chicks!

mikischo August 13th, 2010 07:20 AM

An update. The third egg hatched on the 11th at about 8:30 p.m. California time. Third owlet is named Kelly. Just one more egg left to hatch (expected to likely hatch on Saturday). McGee is keeping busy bringing home the bacon (er rodents). He is such a good provider.:flirt:

mikischo August 13th, 2010 07:31 PM

The owlets are starting to get a little more active, although they still have trouble holding up their heads for very long. One of them wandered off into the corner of the box a while ago. Molly kept a careful eye on it for a while and then decided it was enough and gently nudged it back over with the rest of the babies. She just finished feeding them. They sure get excited and noisy at feeding time. Hazel, I'm sure you will be able to hear the sounds now.

hazelrunpack August 13th, 2010 08:32 PM

I was able to pick up some really icky music just now...but it wasn't Molly or the kids. :laughing: I think my speakers are just crappy :o