Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Another little cute visitor.. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76716)

chico2 April 29th, 2011 09:06 AM

Another little cute visitor..

3 Attachment(s)
Hubby took these of a little Red Squirrel this morning.
Our backyard is getting busy:laughing:

chico2 April 29th, 2011 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Go away cats!!!

Melinda April 29th, 2011 09:21 AM

oh gorgeous, I have such a soft spot for red squirrels, they were the first critters I rehabbed many moons ago, we thought they were field mice , their eyes were still closed and the cords attached. Happy and Anni....there were found on our anni , wow....14 yrs ago?.....for awhile they were on the endangered list in eastern Ontario.

hazelrunpack April 29th, 2011 09:58 AM

He's a cutie!! We have lots of these little daredevils, too! They run along the top of the fence just to tease the dogs! :laughing: Then they jump to the pine and laugh down at the Pack! Gets a rise out of the dogs every time! :D

Goldfields April 29th, 2011 10:21 AM

Super cute, Chico2. Love that tail. Do cats eat them?

chico2 April 29th, 2011 11:19 AM

GF,OH NO:yell:My cats don't eat any critters,if they were able to catch one of them,they'd get a taste of their very sharp little teeth and they are incredibly fast.

A couple of summers ago,we"rescued"one at the side of our pool,he was soaken wet and shivering.
However,he did not want to be rescued and bit both hubs and me:laughing:

Melinda,I wonder if they are not still on the endangered list,I've only ever seen one here.

Goldfields April 29th, 2011 11:33 AM

Golly, they sound fierce little critters. LOL. You are so lucky to have them though. Our possums here are super cute too, but they only come out at night. I do have a photo somewhere of one perched up on a post. They're nothing like the possums they have in the States.
My first Ch cattle dog, Shady, was a typical cattle dog in that she'd be very much on guard when strangers were here, did bite one, put the wind up others, wanted to get out and give the cows Hell, wanted to fight the other girls etc., but one day a possum was trying to get across a piece of polypipe that protected a power line above her head and it fell off. Plop! Straight onto her (rather broad) back, and clung to her hair. Then it ever so slowly slid down her side and the darling girl just turned and watched it. LOL. I was so proud of her ..... but had she tackled it, well I've heard they can scratch you up pretty bad. Don't know if they'd bite as well though. :)

chico2 April 29th, 2011 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shady sounds like a great pup,leaving the Possum alone.
We have Possums here to,I even think I have a pic of one,how are yours different?

This pic is about 5 yrs old..

Melinda April 29th, 2011 08:28 PM

awww I want possums!!

mikischo April 29th, 2011 09:24 PM

Great pics as usual, Chico. I love red squirrels. :lovestruck: I am happy to say that there are a few running around here again this spring after my neighbour relocated some last fall.:frustrated:

Love the possum pic too, Chico. Actually what we have in North America are opossums but they are commonly called possums here too. You are lucky to have them, Chico. The only places you will likely find them in Canada are in parts of southern Ontario and the lower Fraser Valley in BC.

As you said, Goldfields, the possums you have in Australia are entirely different from our opossums. They do have one thing in common with each other. They are both marsupials so they carry their underdeveloped young in a pouch.

chico2 April 30th, 2011 04:32 PM

mikischo,I know we have them,but that picture I took several years ago.

My stupid neighbor across from me,called a wild-life service last fall,because his grass had been dug up in places.
He got a trap and in the morning there was a big Possum trapped.
We went over to release him,in the morning,but the man was home,I just told him he was a jerk,an animals life is more importand than a few tufts of grass.
Later I found out that poor Possum stayed in that trap for 2 days,before the wildlife-guy picked him up,I was furious,but nothing I could do.
Needless to say,I never talk to that person again

mikischo May 1st, 2011 08:27 AM

Now that you mentioned that, Chico, I do remember the thread you created about it last year. Crazy neighbours :evil: but not much you can do, unfortunately.

I'd rather have animals around than a perfect lawn any day.

chico2 May 1st, 2011 03:59 PM

mikischo,I hate to see an animal being trapped and removed far away from the place he knows..he must have been terrified.
I know it is sometimes neccessary,we've had a lot of people this year with Raccoons in the roof,one man paid $800 to have one removed..