Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   deck mount bird feeder? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67125)

budgrrl December 3rd, 2009 10:19 AM

deck mount bird feeder?

i have several different kinds of bird feeders in my yard and have always loved watching them :)
this year, with a new kitten, i would like to set up some sort of deck mounted one that he can bird watch from the patio doors. i cant seem to find one :(
does anyone have such a contraption? if so, is it homemade or store bought? where did you buy it? and pics too please :)

i thought of getting some window mount ones...but i dont want to encourage the lil cheeps to fly into my windows :(

i have thought of making my own - basically a framed screen and mounting that to the deck rails (the screen would let the snow fall through and not collect water)...but i would prefer to buy one as i dont have a tonne of tools.

any ideas??

hazelrunpack December 3rd, 2009 10:41 AM

If you have a metal paint roller tray--the kind that is made to slip over the platform of a step ladder--just drill a few holes in the bottom to let water drain, slip it over the deck rail and fill with seed. Works pretty well, although you have to careful to keep it very clean.

We also have had in the past (but not currently) a mesh-bottom platform feeder with brackets on one edge to slip over the deck rail. It was store-bought, but I haven't seen one for years. If anyone ever sees one for sale, please share the info. :D Even a mesh-bottomed platform feeder will not prevent snow buildup, though, so you still have to do a lot of cleaning with either feeder and be very diligent when things thaw to keep the seed dry.

Chris21711 December 3rd, 2009 12:15 PM

When my neighbour got married, Pepe made him a bird feeder.....he made a swing arm to come out of the deck railing and mounted the feeder on there....I will take a pic for you and post it, not today tho' it is pouring out there :frustrated:

hazelrunpack December 3rd, 2009 02:06 PM

Oh, we have birdbaths like that, Chris. They have a swing arm you mount to the deck, and it has a hook on the end. You can hang a birdfeeder from the arm with s-hooks and chains. :thumbs up I think Wild Bird stores carry the swing arms. Then you just need some chain, the s-hooks and a platform feeder!

Melinda December 3rd, 2009 02:48 PM

at canadian tire and walmart you can buy deck mounted bird feeder hooks, its like a clamping system (screws to tighten onto deck rail), I think I paid 12 bucks for the daughters

budgrrl December 4th, 2009 05:53 AM

i am headed to walmart shortly and will check out what they have for deck mounted hooks and tray feeders :)

Chris21711 December 4th, 2009 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;856384]Oh, we have birdbaths like that, Chris. They have a swing arm you mount to the deck, and it has a hook on the end. You can hang a birdfeeder from the arm with s-hooks and chains. :thumbs up I think Wild Bird stores carry the swing arms. Then you just need some chain, the s-hooks and a platform feeder![/QUOTE]

That's cool Hazel, if the neighbour had have known then he wouldn't have had to bother making one at work on the QT :laughing:...and chance getting caught.

budgrrl December 24th, 2009 02:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
WOW!
friends of mine knew i was looking for a deck mounted bird feeder, so she and her hubby had one made for me! its amazing!!

(aslan thinks so too!!)

Spatx December 24th, 2009 08:45 AM

Wow! Thats awesome! :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack December 24th, 2009 11:11 AM

I wanna sit in the chair on the porch! :cloud9:

Now [I]that[/I] is a fancy feeder! Very nice, budgrrl. You have a great bunch of friends. :thumbs up

Chris21711 December 26th, 2009 05:27 PM

Very Cool :thumbs up

cpietra16 December 26th, 2009 05:32 PM

wow..does your friend do any cat condo's.....hint hint....:D

Jenkinsdjtg January 1st, 2010 07:01 AM

heh cool, i have one like that to.