Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How do i stop my dog from leaving my garden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54391)

Soter July 14th, 2008 12:37 PM

How do i stop my dog from leaving my garden

I have such a huge garden, ( like 'three big lawns and tonnes more' kind of huge garden) it would be way too expensive to get dog-proof fencing all the way round, and i don't like the idea of a shock collar with an underground electric fence so how do i train my dog (that i may get sometime in the near future) not to leave the garden. We live near a dog who roams free around all the roads, and sometimes comes into our garden. We can get that dog to stay away from the garden most days, but i dont want my future dog to leave the garden and fight with this dog. What can i do?
I have read in a book that every day walking your dog around the garden and saying 'no' to it whenever it tries to investigate beyond your garden. Would this work.

All opinions welcome please:)

Soter

jessi76 July 14th, 2008 01:44 PM

no. The best way to keep a dog in a specific area is by using a border (fence), keep the dog tied (on a long line or cable-run), or to supervise the dog yourself. Puppies, and young dogs, are curious, they will go off to explore. Walking a boundary and saying "no" isn't going to do much, IMO. certainly not enough to be 100% reliable. If you can't make a safe area for the dog to be outside, then you'll need to walk/run the dog daily on a leash. MANY people have dogs who live in apartments or condos that don't have a "yard" at all. walking, visiting parks, dog parks, doggy daycare, etc... are all viable options.

remember, even IF you did train the dog to stay in an area, what's to keep people or other animals out?? all it would take is one curious child, one stupid squirrel, or one fiesty cat to cause a big problem. I've heard too many times "but Fido NEVER leaves our yard, I don't know why he did it this time"

IMO, dogs shouldn't be left outside in an unsecure area unsupervised. i.e. if you can't be out with the dog to maintain control, the dog should be on a run, leashed, or preferably, in a safe well fenced area.

Soter July 15th, 2008 07:43 AM

thanx

i kind of agree with that but some little part of me always hoped there would be some simple way of training a dog not to leave the garden. Sometimes when driving we go past a house beside a busy road, and there are two golden retrievers livng there. There is no gate and a post and rail fence, yet they dog ever seem to leave the garden (we go past their house reguarly)
i wishe i knew how they trained those dogs.

thanks for the advice

soter
shake a paw for those not so fortunate:cool:

jessi76 July 15th, 2008 07:56 AM

I think it's more realistic to do that with an older dog. one who is not likely to bolt out into traffic, chase a small animal, or run up to greet a person walking past. My neighbors, a lovely elderly couple, adopted a senior golden retriever. This dog is already in his "golden" years (pun intended), so he does not leave the property. they have a LARGE yard, they have 2 horses, who have a TON of acreage to roam. The dog stays w/ his owners at all times. BUT as I said, he is a senior dog. He gets a ton of exercise daily on the horse farm, is walked daily on a leash on the road, and spends the day following around while they do yard work.

you can certainly train a dog to respect the boundaries of your property, but I would NOT rely on it.

we are just starting to teach our dog the boundaries of our own property. mind you, our dog is now 3, and a well trained member of our family. However, when allowed free in the yard, we are with him constantly. He is NEVER left unsupervised.

lm9012 July 15th, 2008 06:02 PM

Soter:

I hate to say it...but this probably will not work. Even IF you happen to train your dog to stay within a boundary...there's nothing to stop another animal or a person from coming towards him. you run the risk of someone stealing him, teasing him, you can even risk him biting someone if he feels threatened. It's just too risky. I personally trust my dog, it's everyone ELSE I don't trust!! :cool:

Like jessi said..with an older dog (which is what i have) you have a better shot..but then you've got everyone else to worry about. I do commend you if you adopt one of course!! So many get left behind at shelters because of their age..So unfair...they come perfectly trained already!! :cloud9:

I have a fenced in yard in my building...at times my mailman or even another tenant won't close the gate door completely. Sometimes if I'm not fully decent to walk out the house, just in a robe or whatever and i let him out my door to the yard...and see the gate open. I know that he will not walk out the gate. I'll still let him out but quickly get dressed and go close the gate.

I also walk him off leash, but I'm very consious of people around us and other dogs that may be on leashes. I carry a leash just in case. Not everyone loves dogs, not everyone else's dog is as friendly as mine...etc. You just don't know.

One common habit of mine was letting him out while I was running back and forth from the car to the house lugging groceries..one day I wasn't paying full attention if he was right next to me. Usually he stays closeby sniffing or doing his business while I gather bags, etc. All of a sudden I turn and I see 5 young kids (10,11 yrs old) surrounding my dog down the block. Mommy instinct kicked in and I ran to him. Two kids had run into my yard and locked the gate door. Albert was coming towards them because, of course, they are in his yard and he didn't understand why the gate was closed...the kids were scared of him. The rest of the kids were on top of a car freaking out.
Need I remind you Albert is a 40 lb jack russell mix?? not exactly screams 'killer dog'!

Regardless, some people are just afraid of dogs. I chased the kids out of my yard, they were yelling 'the dog was chasing me, it was going to bite me'. I tried to educate as well by telling them running into his yard probably wasn't the best way to detract a dog's attention...and if they are so scared of a dog they should just go the other way next time, not towards it.

In the end, I was in the wrong because I wasn't right next to him to protect him. Luckily no one was harmed..but if those kids hadn't been so scared, they could've kicked him or hurt him..

If you must leave the dog out, you will need a long leash with one of those metal sticks you dig deep in the ground...but it stilll leaves him out unsupervised. It's just too risky..too many bratty kids out there, or just plain ignorant people.

Good luck with your future adoption!

Dingo July 16th, 2008 10:32 AM

Have you thought about just fencing part of your yard?

Soter July 17th, 2008 12:24 PM

As a matter of fact

I have actually thought about fencing in part of my yard. We have three doors and three huge lawns kind of leading off from each of them, and the back one has a fairly decent sized area for a springer to let off loadza energy. I just need to pursuade my mum (i already mentioned it to her.)
soter

Barkingdog September 19th, 2013 09:38 AM

I was going to suggest fencing in part of your yard too. What about a horse training fence . My neighbor had a huge metal horse training fence it and it was high enough so a dog could not jump out it. It your dog is a digger this might not work as he could dig out under it The horse training fence my neighbor had was round . I wish had my own house , I would buy one for my dog.

maseif September 23rd, 2013 11:23 AM

how to make my dog ​​stopped scratching the stairs?

my dog scratcshing the stairs it is make a hole in the strairs.
help me please.

Winston September 23rd, 2013 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
maybe you could add something to the stairs like this....good luck