Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Declawing: against or for? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28103)

chico2 November 3rd, 2006 10:11 AM

LM1313,my vet once had a beautiful orange young cat up for adoption,he was desperatly trying to get a toy outside of his cage.
Of course he could not get it,he had been declawed,touching his little mutilated paws made me cry:sad:
Obviously some other problems must have occured,since the owner had him declawed and still gave him up.:yell:
Canada like so many other countries should definetly outlaw this horrific procedure,but then again,animals don't have much of a voice here:sad:

Kristin7 November 3rd, 2006 12:34 PM

I am against declawing. Like LM1313, my declawed cat compensates by biting. My other cat has all her claws and only will bite under extreme provocation. btw, I did not have my cat declawed, she was like that when I adopted her. Declawing has not stopped her from being destructive either. Maybe she is overcompensating, but she loves ripping up papers with her teeth, destroying my blinds, and even pulls at furniture w/ what is left of her toes. She has also torn apart some of the cabinets in my kitchen, among other things, and is a very destructive cat and aggressive too. I have a dog and he has been scratched by the one w/ claws and bitten by the one w/o claws, but little damage was done. Mostly, they get along with him now. The only cat I have ever had who did damage to furniture with her claws did not have any scratching posts available to her (this one I had growing up and didn't really know about stuff like that back then). Probably there are a few cats who will still scratch up furniture even with appropriate outlets, but I think they are not a very high percentage of cats.

LM1313 November 3rd, 2006 02:13 PM

Chico, that's so sad. :( My stray kitty actually compensates very well when she plays . . . She grabs a toy with both paws and FLINGS it into the air. I can't believe the height she gets out of a toy mousie! They practically hit the ceiling!

I'm not sure if my boys know that she doesn't have claws or not, they can be rather dense. She does box their ears once in a while, and they back off like gentlemen (or cowards . . . but I prefer to think of them as gentlemen. ;) )

I'd like to add that I've never had problems with my clawed cats scratching me, at least not since kittenhood (when they loved to claw everything, LOL!) Even if I'm trying to do something unpleasant like force medicine down their throats or clip their nails, they don't scratch, they only wiggle.

Kristin7 November 3rd, 2006 03:43 PM

My cat w/ claws doesn't scratch me either, unless she's kneading in my hair, and then, it is more out of love... :love: And then, I remember it is time to clip her nails!! My declawed cat is quite amusing to watch climb the cat tree. I bought it back when I thought she had claws (I swear I saw them on her at the Humane Society... must've been the back ones) and for awhile felt bad because she couldnt' climb to the top. But she eventually learned to pull herself up like a little monkey. Having no claws in front hasn't seemed to affected her ability to do anything except defend herself with them. She is an indoor cat, so hopefully she will never have to. I just feel bad for the pain she must have endured, poor girl.

rainbow November 3rd, 2006 10:36 PM

Well everything has already been said and I am totally against it.

CyberKitten November 4th, 2006 08:44 PM

I am astounded this topic is still here. I cringe at hearing of anyone who would do something so barbaric and horrid as to declaw a cat!!! And yes, cats can learn not to use their claws in a harmful way. If ppl worry about their furniture, then don't have pets. Furniture can be relaced - pets are living breating wonderfing creatures who give unconditional love. We should never seek to repay that love with a painful procedure that will scar them - physically and psychologically for life!!!

I so loathe the declawers of the world and I try not to be judgemental but in my book, they are on par with child abusers - it is much the same thing actually. Grabted, some are errantly talked into it by some vets but we all have to take responsibility for our actions. Especially when it involves smaller and more vulnerable beings than oursevelves

Seiya January 29th, 2007 11:57 PM

New Question!!

[SIZE="4"][B][I]I believe that this subject rises towards a new question...If nature knows what it does and how are animals made… and cats with claws are a hassle to you...then are you sure that a cat is the pet that nature intended for you?[/I][/B][/SIZE]

Stacer January 30th, 2007 04:42 PM

[QUOTE]I believe that this subject rises towards a new question...If nature knows what it does and how are animals made… and cats with claws are a hassle to you...then are you sure that a cat is the pet that nature intended for you?[/QUOTE]

Your comment goes against your vote FOR declawing. Are you for or against it?

Inisfad January 30th, 2007 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=Feral_cats;258291] it was my only option other then euthanasia or having my dogs faces torn appart in the introduction.[/QUOTE]
Well, no, your other option was to introduce your dog and cat properly....meow. There are 4 people who voted for this barbaric practice. I'd be interested to hear their views. FYI, I just had my couch reupholstered in leather (as I heard on this forum that leather is the best material, etc.) The upholstery delivery man wasn't out of the driveway, before my cat Fluffy made her mark on the arm of the couch. I wasn't happy, but declawing never entered into my mind....

chico2 January 30th, 2007 05:29 PM

Inisfad,It was probaly me who suggested leather.:)
We've had our leather couches now for a while(about 8 yrs) and unlike cloth-couches,they do not shred to the wood,but I have to admit I have a few scratches,not a big deal though,can easily be disguised with a leather colour.
The scratches occured from my 3 cats chasing each other running all over the furniture,I have never seen the attempt to use the leather-couches as scratchingposts.
Still,they are just couches,I would never dream of mutilating my cats!

heidiho January 30th, 2007 06:05 PM

I dont know how anyone could ever under any circumstance consider this,i dont know who posted the pictures of it here but you should take a look,there is NOTHING my kitten could destroy ,even my feet at this point,that would ever make me consider doing it.Even though she will not stop clawing our couch even with cat scratcher and carpet condo,as far as i see it,it is our own fault for not buying soemthing to cover the couch areas that she claws,she will scratch her cardboard scratcher but really loves the couch,there is no stopping her,so that is our fault for not covering it..NO way ever never ever,i would like one person to give me ONE good reason to have this done?? There are none........

JanM January 30th, 2007 06:05 PM

I am totally against declawing. If a declawed cat had to defend itself - how would it? Some say declawed cats are indoor cats only - fine - what happens - and we all know that life just happens - if a declawed cat got outdoors? I like the comment about not de-toothing because the dog chewed on furniture - same with cats! Their claws are part of who they are and its up to us, as cat owners, to find a solution if we don't happen to like what they choose to claw on. Provide alternatives and show them what you want.

heidiho January 30th, 2007 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Really are there any more questions as why NOT to declaw.I think this is one of the most disturbing pictures ever......

heidiho January 30th, 2007 06:36 PM

I saw that Prin said she hated this picture and i am also sure this is not how it is done everywhere,but i also believe as the picture shows it has been done this way at some places, and really either way it is cruel and a sick thing to do.

heidiho January 30th, 2007 06:41 PM

This subject i see has really gotten to me,because i dont understand anyone who says they love there pet but yet could do this to them.I will always do everything i can for my kitten to make sure she NEVER is harmed or hurt in anyway.So sad that we get pets whether it is a dog or cat,which with a dog the ones who clip ears and tails,now i DONT know how much pain this puts a dog through,but why is it neccasary at all??Besides for OUR own wants and looks for our dog.......

heidiho January 30th, 2007 06:52 PM

I see there are like 5% for declawing,just curious what the reasoning for voting yes are!!!!! Ok i am totally disturbed by even thinking of doing that do an animal.......

rainbow January 30th, 2007 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=heidiho;363264]I see there are like 5% for declawing,just curious what the reasoning for voting yes are!!!!! Ok i am totally disturbed by even thinking of doing that do an animal.......[/QUOTE]

I'm curious too.

heidiho January 30th, 2007 07:23 PM

I shudder when i even think about roxy ever being in pain,i cannot even imagine how sore there paws must be and their natural instinct when they go to the bathroom to use there paws to cover it up how that must feel,even if it is newspaper they use after that mutilation.......

Blathach January 30th, 2007 10:10 PM

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.