Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Yucky Grubs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26793)

diandpat May 15th, 2006 04:02 PM

Yucky Grubs

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Has anyone ever dealt with lawn grubs before with any success? The town over from us (Dollard des Ormeaux) is infested in some areas and the lawns are all really badly chewed up. We have an obvious patch in the back yard (but neither neighbour has any signs) but apparently they can already be where the grass still looks good and it can take 2-3 years to get rid of them. HELP! They are sooooooooooo gross.

I ordered some "Grub Out" this morning so hopefully it will help but will also mean keeping the pooches in the front for a while. Drag.

Any suggestions to get rid of t[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][/COLOR]hese things?[/FONT]

LibbyP May 15th, 2006 06:52 PM

yucky

Hi diandpat, Sorry I have no advice for you about grubs but if you find an answer pls share it as we are having the same problem here. My husband is VERY particular about 'his' grass, he's put seed down twice (had to go out and buy a new bag just incase the other was old) fertilized etc... and he still has ugly patches, it's driving him:crazy: and very:mad: , he's taught our son(2.5yrs) to yell at the birds "Go away birds, getoff daddy's grass" and chase them if he's outside, if inside he just bangs on the window LOL

phoenix May 15th, 2006 07:07 PM

you can buy nematodes to control lawn grubs.

Seamus's Girl May 30th, 2006 03:13 PM

Grubs/Beer

If lawn grubs are the same as garden grubs you can put out a shallow container (real shallow) of beer. They are attracted to it. The only problem is you have to get rid of the yucky grubs. Try it, 'till your order arrives. What do you have to lose?

Stacer June 3rd, 2006 04:32 PM

[QUOTE]If lawn grubs are the same as garden grubs you can put out a shallow container (real shallow) of beer. They are attracted to it. The only problem is you have to get rid of the yucky grubs. Try it, 'till your order arrives. What do you have to lose? [/QUOTE]
What do you have to lose?!! Beer, sweet beer.:D

But I too have heard that it works (if you can part with a mouthful or two of the brew).

Writing4Fun June 6th, 2006 09:16 AM

I thought the beer was for slugs and snails? :confused: My sister and her neighbour are trying the nematodes this year. The way her neighbour describes it, they burrow into the grubs and eat them from the inside out until they explode. :yuck: They're apparently very easy to apply, too. Just put the sponge (which is loaded with nematodes) in an applicator, attach it to your hose and water as if you're spreading fertilizer.

Schwinn June 6th, 2006 12:04 PM

Most of my front yard was destroyed last year by grubs. I bought a dethatching blade (you can also rent a dethatcher, which costs more than the blade), and dethached the front yard. When I was done, it looked like a big sandlot. Then I sprayed the yard with grub killer (I think it was called Grub Out). Within two weeks, my yard was back and green. It seems to have taken care of them.

The reason why they say it takes two to three years to get rid of them is because that is the life-cycle of a grub. After that length of time, they turn into june bugs.

Apparently you can also bury a potato for a couple of days, and when you dig it up, it'll be full of grubs.

Writing4Fun June 6th, 2006 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=Schwinn]Apparently you can also bury a potato for a couple of days, and when you dig it up, it'll be full of grubs.[/QUOTE] Eeeewwwwww! :eek: :yuck:

Schwinn June 7th, 2006 10:28 PM

Yes, it does make the french fries taste funny...not funny ha-ha, either...

PEDPA June 28th, 2006 09:53 PM

NEMATODES!!!!!!!!!! Most definately! Organic... safe .. and very easy to use. They might be a little costly but they work wonders. I'm landscaping and almost every client with lawn problems ends up buying nematodes and when we go back to see the lawn .. it's allllllllllllllllllllllll better!

Check it out! You can get them at almost every lawn and garden centre or greenhouses or landscaping places.

They run around $40 i think. They are like SEAMONKEYS!!!! lmao! they are microscopic little grub hunters who grow quick to seak and destroy killers of all things green lmao...... I'm on a superhero kick!