Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tiger and two camels stolen en route to bowmanville zoo (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70965)

Masha June 18th, 2010 01:50 PM

Tiger and two camels stolen en route to bowmanville zoo

[url]http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/79351--tiger-two-camels-stolen-en-route-to-bowmanville-zoo[/url]

Someone will get the surprise of their lifetime when they open the truck...:evil:
hope the animals are found shortly and doing well... :fingerscr

Melinda June 18th, 2010 02:06 PM

oh the poor things, I hope they knew enough to open some windows for them

chico2 June 18th, 2010 04:10 PM

OMG,I hope they are found safe and sound:pray::fingerscr

Goldfields June 18th, 2010 09:33 PM

That's terrible. At least if they want the trailer too they would let the camels out and hopefully they would be okay, but the tiger could starve, I somehow don't think they'd be brave enough to let it out. We can only hope and pray that they like animals and do the right thing.

Chaser June 18th, 2010 11:25 PM

Holy crap...how stupid can people be???? :wall: Kind of hope the tiger eats them.

Goldfields June 18th, 2010 11:55 PM

:) LOL. Now that's funny.

Chaser June 18th, 2010 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;929265]:) LOL. Now that's funny.[/QUOTE]

I try :D Also had one too many rum & diet cokes tonight though....

:goodvibes: and :fingerscr for the animals though...I really hope they can be found soon.

Goldfields June 19th, 2010 12:57 AM

Keep trying then, I love a good laugh. :) One too many will do it for me every time. LOL

Goldfields June 19th, 2010 12:59 AM

Sorry, I missed your last sentence. I keep hoping the next post will say they've found them.

Frenchy June 19th, 2010 10:43 AM

They have now found the truck in St-Eulalie (160 kms from Montreal) but the trailer is still missing :( there's a $10 000.00 reward , they fear for the animals lives , mostly the tiger :(

chico2 June 19th, 2010 12:36 PM

Oh no,they probably dumped the trailer somewhere,I hope it's found,with the animals still ok:pray::fingerscr:pray::fingerscr

Melinda June 19th, 2010 02:47 PM

they are microchipped and can't be sold, the tiger can be given water with a turkey baster, they said let him keep having some till he quits drinking and use the sawdust/shavings to soak up his urine so he won't burn his paws. guess this is in case you find the trailer....poor things.

NoahGrey June 19th, 2010 02:55 PM

This story breaks my heart. I fear for the animals lives. In all honestly, the driver should not have stopped for the night. Not only for the safety of animals, but also the public. Yes, I know it was a long drive...but there should have been more then one driver..doing shifts, inorder to do the drive in one shot. Mainly for the stress of the animals..also when transporting live animals, it is usually stated on the trailer that live animals are inside. I hope these animals are found alive and unharmed.

Melinda June 19th, 2010 04:01 PM

I so agree with you Noah, supposedly the animals were checked every 15 minutes..I'm sorry, but a truck that size, curl up in the back seat and have a snooze....

NoahGrey June 19th, 2010 04:47 PM

Checked every 15 mins?? I don't believe that. If you are up checking every 15mins..then what is the point of stopping? Obviously you are not sleeping. It doesn't add up. Human arrogance and error put these animals at risk.

Melinda June 19th, 2010 05:34 PM

you got it.

Chaser June 19th, 2010 11:05 PM

What I hate is that if the zoo wasn't pimping their animals out to the circus in the first place then this would not have happened. But that is a lot to expect I guess from a zoo that used to let people pay to watch a bear drink orange pop......

I wish I was kidding.

Goldfields June 19th, 2010 11:28 PM

No good news yet. :( If only the thieves had the humanity, if they have dumped that trailer, to at least make an anomynous call to the police and let them know its whereabouts. I agree with noahgrey about them transporting the animals direct, no risky stopover should ever have been contemplated. That was the weak link. I had our Cuddles bought here as a baby pup by road, or at least picked up in NSW, delivered to the plane in Sydney, flown down to Melbourne, picked up, then driven to our door. It cost us the price of a puppy back then, $400, but at least it was handled by experts in pet travel. Even more important that no risks should be taken with a tiger of all things!

Rgeurts June 20th, 2010 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=Chaser;929261]Holy crap...how stupid can people be???? :wall: Kind of hope the tiger eats them.[/QUOTE]

Lmao... I'm with ya on that one! :laughing:

mikischo June 20th, 2010 05:49 AM

I was so hoping there would be some news. I can't stop thinking of these poor animals suffering in that trailer. Especially the tiger because he is likely already suffering without water. So sad.:(

Melinda June 20th, 2010 07:35 AM

still nothing.....hopefully whoever stole them are at least watering them

Frenchy June 20th, 2010 09:45 AM

This totally sucks :( the way they were talking about the animals on the news earlier ... they have not much hope to find them alive now. It's been so war for the past few days here in Quebec , and they are in a close trailer without food and water ... I can't believe the :loser: that stole truck & trailer , can't at least call the police to tell them where the trailer is. :wall:

Winston June 22nd, 2010 07:51 AM

Missing tiger, camels found alive
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 | 8:32 AM ET Comments66Recommend119CBC News
Jonas the tiger has been found safe and sound in rural Quebec. (Quebec provincial police)Two camels and a tiger stolen with a truck trailer last week have been found safe and sound in central Quebec.

Camels Shawn and Todd, and Jonas the tiger, were located late Monday night on a rural road near Drummondville, Que., not far from where they went missing.

A local resident contacted authorities after spotting an abandoned truck trailer on Doyon Road in Saint-Edmond-de-Grantham, said Sgt. Richard Gagné, of the Quebec provincial police.

When police checked the trailer all three animals were "alive and well," Gagné said.

All three disappeared Friday when their trailer was stolen from a motel parking lot in St-Liboire, a small town outside Saint-Hyacinthe, Que.

One of the two stolen camels is shown here in zoo video. Camels can survive without water for 10 days. (CBC)The animals were en route from Nova Scotia to the Bowmanville Zoo outside Toronto when their driver stopped in St-Liboire for a break.

The zoo issued several urgent pleas and offered a $20,000 reward for their safe return, asking whoever took them to provide proof that they were feeding and watering the tiger.

Zoo director Michael Hackenberger said Jonas risked kidney failure if he were deprived of water for too long.

The animals' disappearance drew international media attention from outlets in India, Africa, New Zealand and the BBC.

The animals appear to have been cared for during their disappearance, Gagné said. Police have no suspects.

Bowmanville zookeeper Stefanie MacEwan said Shawn, Todd and Jonas have now reached their original destination, the zoo.

I was soooo happy to read this today! :thumbs up

shirley1011 June 22nd, 2010 07:55 AM

Alright! Great News! I have kept checking but didn't sound very hopeful with no word as of yesterday.

I hope they find whoever did such a cowardly thing! at least they could have made a call!

Melinda June 22nd, 2010 08:10 AM

I am so glad, I've been checking every hour on the hour

Melinda June 22nd, 2010 08:13 AM

hope it works

[url]http://www.cbc.ca/video/player.html?category=News&zone=windsor&site=cbc.news.ca&clipid=1527626173[/url]

Masha June 22nd, 2010 08:16 AM

Great news!! I guess sometimes thieves can have a bit of heart as well seeing as they took care of the animals...

NoahGrey June 22nd, 2010 09:18 AM

Yes i heard this morning. I am sooo happy. Great news to start the day, now the two guys that stopped at the motel should be fired.

Frenchy June 22nd, 2010 10:19 AM

:clap: I was so happy when I heard it on the news this morning !!! :crazy:

BenMax June 22nd, 2010 11:37 AM

Thank Dawg!!! I intially thought that these animals would have been sold to a gaming facility. So happy that they are safe and sound.:thumbs up

What I don't understand is why was there only one trucker? With the dangers surrounding wildlife, would one not think of ensureing their employees personal safety by having two people to do this run? Weird.