Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lost Cat - West Island (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56839)

coco84 September 23rd, 2008 09:55 AM

Lost Cat - West Island

My cat went missing about 2 weeks ago. I miss him terribly. He's about 2 years old. Pretty small for his age. He is a dark tabby and goes by the name of "Monkey". He went missing in Pierrefonds, but he is a big time outdoor cat and wouldn't be surprised if he would be found elsewhere in the West Island.

coco84 September 23rd, 2008 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of him.

NoahGrey September 24th, 2008 09:11 AM

Try leaving out tuna or salmon. These foods have strong odors. Leave something out that has your smell on it and something that has his smell like litter box.

When he comes home..please keep him indoors.

ACO22

BenMax September 24th, 2008 09:42 AM

Two weeks - I do know that the SPCA keeps strays for 5 days and then they are either up for adoption or euthanized. DId you go there? Go to stray and now adoptions.

Good luck.

NoahGrey September 24th, 2008 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;662044]Two weeks - I do know that the SPCA keeps strays for 5 days and then they are either up for adoption or euthanized.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about SPCA'S in general or just that particular SPCA in that city?

I know this is the least thought that we want to have but, have you tried to contact whatever depart handles animals that are deceased on the side of the road? You can call them and see if they have picked up a cat that matches your cats description. I know it is hard to think about, but at least you would have some type of closure.

ACO22

BenMax September 24th, 2008 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=ACO22;662100]Are you talking about SPCA'S in general or just that particular SPCA in that city?

I know this is the least thought that we want to have but, have you tried to contact whatever depart handles animals that are deceased on the side of the road? You can call them and see if they have picked up a cat that matches your cats description. I know it is hard to think about, but at least you would have some type of closure.

ACO22[/QUOTE]

Our particular SPCA.

coco84 September 25th, 2008 08:30 AM

I have tried the SPCA, no luck so far. I guess we will have to see....
Even if he does come home, I would never force him to stay inside. He's meant to be outdoors. I think it's a bit cruel to leave cats inside.
Thanks for your help! I will try the tuna thing..

Love4himies September 25th, 2008 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=coco84;662620]I have tried the SPCA, no luck so far. I guess we will have to see....
Even if he does come home, I would never force him to stay inside. He's meant to be outdoors. I think it's a bit cruel to leave cats inside.
Thanks for your help! I will try the tuna thing..[/QUOTE]

I think it is cruel to allow your pet outside unsupervised, free to get poisoned, hit by a car, killed by other animals (including humans). You are the cat's guardian and protector. Would you allow your three year old child out to roam the streets too?

Sorry couldn't bite my tongue on this one :mad:

NoahGrey September 25th, 2008 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=coco84;662620]I have tried the SPCA, no luck so far. I guess we will have to see....
Thanks for your help! I will try the tuna thing..[/QUOTE]

I am with love4himies. You need to give your head a shake. Why is he meant to be outside??? Please tell me. I can't wait to see what you say to me. Maybe 100 years ago, cats were meant to be outside..but we humans have domesticed the cat.

Outdoor cats live a hard life. They have so many dangers to them and also other small wildlife. Then there is were they have find food, water, shelter.

Why is it cruel for a cat to be indoors???? What is cruel is putting him outside, where he has to fight/survive in order to live.

You remind me of this time when I picked up a stray maleN cat at work. He was wearing wags. I was thinking.."oo a responsible owner, they are hard to come by". The health tech turns to me and goes "oh he is pretty much always here". I say "really". She proceeds to tell me that he is an outdoor cat. The guy thinks that is what his cat wants. Very sweet cat. Well it took the guy 2 days to come get his cat...since he has football. The whole time I am thinking "it pisses me off that as soon as he gets home, he'll just let him outdoors..then I have to remind myself that he'll learn (hopefully) that maybe the next time, I'll be phoning him to let him know that I picked up his cat off the side of the road.

Get a friggin life.

ACO22

coco84 October 2nd, 2008 02:09 PM

OMG! Get a friggin life??? When was I ever rude? I was only stating my opinion.

I have had many cats in my lifetime, and everyone of my cats has been happier having been able to be outside. Cats may be more domestic now, but they still have survival skills. I've seen my cat Monkey hunt and kill other animals. Keeping a cat inside is like a prison for them. They get bored, and never get to experience. Obviously we could debate this back and forth...but really I can't tell you how to raise your cats, and neither can you.

So please....stop giving me **** about my opinion. My cats are happy and I'm happy to give them what they need.

BenMax October 2nd, 2008 03:14 PM

Coco84 - these people are only telling you this because it is them (and myself) that are picking up abused, neglected and KILLED cats that are left outside. We have cut them out of the engines of cars, removed their carcasses from dogs, and bring them to vets to be euthanized because of feline aids or leukemia.

Right now, there are two men that are clubbing outdoor cats and doing who knows what with them.

Cats that live outside have a shorter life expentancy. I have 3 out of 4 cats that were abandoned outside - one was litterally strangled by a man that did not want a cat in 'his' yard. She was only 6 months old. Luckily a rescue group took over and I fostered her back to health and ended up adopting her myself - she never fully recovered. And I have to tell you - not one of them (especially the strangled one) even bothers to ask for the door.

It is absolutely your business as to what you want to do with your pet - but the people here truly do know what is happening to outdoor cats because they have hands on.

Believe it or not, everyone wants nothing but the best for your cat. We pray that he is alive and not euthanized already by animal control, suffering somewhere alone, or abused or killed by some psychopath.

If you really were aware of all the dangers, then you would not let him out again.

AmericanBullMom October 2nd, 2008 03:31 PM

:sorry: But there is NO need for you cats to be outside... its killing wild animals?? FOR WHAT?? Do you not feed him?? That right there is a reason he needs to stay in! He is killing wildlife unnecessarily!

I hope you find your cat, but I hope you make the RIGHT decision and keep him indoors too.

BenMax October 3rd, 2008 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=AmericanBullMom;666926]:sorry: But there is NO need for you cats to be outside... its killing wild animals?? FOR WHAT?? Do you not feed him?? That right there is a reason he needs to stay in! He is killing wildlife unnecessarily!

I hope you find your cat, but I hope you make the RIGHT decision and keep him indoors too.[/QUOTE]

I agree and though I hope that this cat finds his way home, I wonder why after two weeks there is an urgency to find him. After 1 day I think I would go nuts and would be doing everything in my power to try and find him.

There are so many cats at shelters and animal control right now. If you do not investigate and go down to these places within a day or two, the cat may be have been unnessarily PTS (usally after 5 days) due to the over crowding problem within these facilities. If he was lucky and did find his way to the shelter then maybe he was adopted by someone.

I hope that you visited these facilities every 2nd day in lost and found and adoption. If not, then you have not looked hard enough I am sorry to say.

If the cat was micro chipped (being he is an outdoor cat) then your chances of finding him are greater. Hopefully you did that....

ula October 1st, 2013 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I'm so glad I found your post, because we may have your cat. We're located at Elmwood (Pierrefonds) and this famished, castrated male tabby appeared over two weeks ago and we've been feeding him since while looking for an owner. He didn't have a collar. If you think this is your cat, please let me know and we can arrange for you to drop by and hopefully take him home! Picture attached.

Ursula.

hazelrunpack October 1st, 2013 06:31 PM

Ursula, this thread is from 2008, and I think coco84 last signed on 5 yrs ago.

Beautiful kitty! I hope you're able to find its owners! If you'd like, you can start a new thread of your own about this sweetie.