Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   what pet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30317)

beamer September 2nd, 2006 08:48 AM

what pet

I would really like a reptile, I have room for a tank measuring, 36"x18"x30". I would really like a bearded dragon but my mum hates them. This is what i really want and will keep trying to persuade my mum. I would like to Know what other reptiles I could get in a tank that size?

Thanks

beamer September 2nd, 2006 01:31 PM

doesnt have to be reptiles i suppose, but id like something different

Tegan September 3rd, 2006 11:07 AM

The first thing I would decide is do you want to be able to handle your lizard? Now im going to guess the answer is yes. If this is your first time with a lizard than a beardy is a good choice but you have to have the space they are terrestrial and they get to be a little over two feet long including their tail. The require a diet of protein and fresh veggies. so that means you need to feed them crickets and or worms every day as well as fresh veggies every day until they reach about 6 months then you can start feeding them less and less protein and more veggies. a full grown beardy should be eating crickets and or superworms about 3-4 times a week and veggies every day. they have lighting and heat requirements as well that have to be met to keep them happy. but over all the are a happily handled lizard as long as it is done properly. another option would be a leopard gecko they are again quite happy to be handled as long as you do it from a young age. They get be be about 5-7 inches long. they require crickets every day. they again are terrestrial so the require room to roam around but are smaller so the require less room they a beardy. But they also come with their own heating and lighting requirements.
Hope this helps

beamer September 6th, 2006 03:04 PM

im now thinking of getting a tortoise, has anyone got any tips about tortoises?????

pug lover October 10th, 2006 10:18 PM

i am glad to see that you are exploring all your options for your new pet

I am sure that one day 1 will claim your heart and that will be the one which you bring home and have for a very long time

as others have posted make sure that you know the type of enviroment each of these different creatures need heating pads uv lighting heat lamps basking light for desert dwellers and heat special lighting misting machines and vines for tropical dwellers

tortoises as far as i know are not legal to purchase YET in ontario but they are looking to change that

beamer October 25th, 2006 10:45 AM

i live in england and they are legal, i did end up getting a tortoise on the 9th of september, its a hermann and its called irwin. pics will follow soon

dragon_queen October 25th, 2006 06:45 PM

please post a pic, i would love to see the tortoise. :)

pug lover October 28th, 2006 11:44 AM

cool i am so happy for you

cant wait for baby tortise pics i would love one but .......i live in ontario