Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Getting dogs to take digestive enzymes (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32722)

vfrohloff November 12th, 2006 09:52 AM

Getting dogs to take digestive enzymes

I recently started my dogs on digestive enzymes after reading all the good info on this forum about it. :thumbs up I have found an easy way to get my dogs to take them with water and I thought I'd share. I put the pill in their food dish with about 4 or 5 kibbles, then I add water to it. Since the kibbles swim around the bowl when the dogs try to get them, they have to drink the water to get at the kibbles and in the process they take the DE without knowing the difference. I'm sneaky, eh?;)

meb999 November 12th, 2006 10:08 AM

good trick, I'll give it a shot tonight....:thumbs up

technodoll November 12th, 2006 11:47 AM

[QUOTE]I recently started my dogs on digestive enzymes after reading all the good info on this forum about it[/QUOTE]

yay! :highfive: i hope you have some positive feedback to post shortly :thumbs up

vfrohloff November 12th, 2006 12:07 PM

They've been on them for 4 days so far and I've noticed less gassiness. Benny (who has had bloat before) also seems more comfortable after he eats now. He used to groan a bit after his meals but now he doesn't.

TeriM November 12th, 2006 05:03 PM

I use a product called Prozyme which was recommended to me by the women who owns/runs the raw food pet store here. I just need to sprinkle it on the food (see below from package).

Ingredients:
Lactose, dried Aspergillus oryzae (var.) fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger (var.) fermentation product, dried bromelain derived from Ananas Comosus

Enzyme Activity:
Alpha-Amylase (Aspergillus oryzae var.) 2000 SKBU/gram
Lipase (Aspergillus niger var.) 200 LU/gram
Cellulase (Aspergillus niger var.) 50 CCHU/gram
Protease (Ananas Comosus) 8 GDU/gram

Prozyme comes in a palatable powder that is sprinkled on or mixed in food. Add ¼ teaspoon for every cup of food given. For initial use, begin by providing a small quantity and gradually increase the dosage to the appropriate amount. Dosages should be doubled for companion animals eight years of age or older.

vfrohloff November 13th, 2006 09:29 AM

I was under the impression that they're supposed to have it 15 to 30 minutes before their meal for it to be effective. But now I just went and read the bottle (I have the Jamieson DE) and it says to take 1 to 3 capsules daily with the main meal. Huh? Techno, need help! It would be much less work if I could just give it to them in their food.

technodoll November 13th, 2006 09:34 AM

i just give dakotah his DE's a minute or two before his meal... seems to work fine! :shrug:

vfrohloff November 13th, 2006 09:40 AM

Thanks techno! I think I'll just start adding it to their food then. Once the baby comes in February it will be up to DH to feed the dogs at least some of the time and I'm pretty sure he's not going to remember to do the whole DE thing if it requires anything other than dropping it into their food bowl. :rolleyes: His intentions are good, but you know how guys tend to just "forget" stuff. :D

Scott_B November 13th, 2006 12:31 PM

Yeah, i just usually sprinkle Rosco's on his food. It says for best results add to water, but I dont feed kibble and to get him to drink water would be a pain lol.

barkley21 November 26th, 2006 01:43 PM

I just bought digestive enzymes for Barkley because I notice he gets very gas-y every time I introduce a new meat source. Last night he had raw chicken liver for the first time and although he absolutely loved it, hubby and I didn't love having to watch a movie with our faces buried in a blanket from the stench that night :yuck: Talk about GAS-Y.
I'm going to introduce pork into his diet shortly, and in an attempt to avoid a repetition of last night, I went and bought some broad spectrum DE's. My question is, how much do I give? One capsule or more? The directions on the bottle are for human consumption, so I'm not sure if it's the same for dogs? Also keep in mind that Barkley's still a 7.5 month old puppers. It also says that it should be taken 30 min before a meal with water. Would it be okay to just sprinkle it on his food or does it really need to be 30 min before the meal?