Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Omg! Why are these birds behaving like this? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80188)

VIOLET0019 February 12th, 2012 10:58 AM

Omg! Why are these birds behaving like this?

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Verdana"]I live in the suburbs of a city located in the province of Quebec, in Canada. Last night was a very very cold winter night. Although the (double) windows were shut tight, I heard the sounds of many birds outside, at about 8pm. I opened the back door and became a bit alarmed as they were flying very close overhead above my balcony, and I changed my mind, and dared not venture out completely, as I had intended to! I wanted to know what was going on to cause them to behave in this way. I am very curious to know why there were approximately 50 (or more) very large black birds flying around, as if in distress, behaving as if something was causing them to be upset, and many others perched sitting altogether, closely, on the branches of one of the very high remaining older trees, in the backyard area. I was astonished as they were[B] very very loud [/B]and some were flying around and then flying back to sit with the others on the tree -[U] for several hours![/U] I am wondering if anyone could explain what possibly could have been going on to cause all of this very odd behaviour and very loud raucous?
Usually it is very quiet in this area. It reminded me of the movie The Birds!
At 1:00 am, they were still out there shrieking :eek: very loudly, and flying around. Thanks for any information.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Winston February 12th, 2012 11:11 AM

Ha! I had to have a laugh when I read this! not sure why they do it but it happens a couple of times a year here! they are black crows!:thumbs up

CsqU4r3d February 12th, 2012 03:47 PM

We have had that happen here as well. A murder of crows would gather in my neighbour's big old tree across the street. Swooping whooping and shrieking up a storm...poor neighbour lady would be out there banging on a big old pot with a wooden spoon trying to drive them away!

chico2 February 12th, 2012 05:26 PM

I know it happens,but I've only seen it once,it was like the Crows were having a meeting.:laughing:normally I have no more than 5 Crows here.

Other birds to this too like the Gracklers(black-birds)they'll meet en mass just before flying South and the Starlings can sometimes fill the tree-branches while chatting away like crazy..

growler~GateKeeper February 12th, 2012 08:12 PM

There might've been a Eagle, falcon or hawk in the area they were trying to drive away from their territory and any younger ones in the flock. Could also be a raccoon etc going after a nest.

Someone in the neighbourhood might've been harassing the crows causing them to raise the alarm.

Crows are a wonderful alarm system for the neighbourhood to let you know something is wrong be it a natural predator in the area or a baby bird, alive or dead, on the ground.