Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Love volunteering at the shelter (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71352)

BrownEyedGirl July 7th, 2010 04:52 PM

Love volunteering at the shelter

What I do is so minimal but I just love it. Once a week I pick up a load of kitty laundry take it home and launder it and then drop it off the following week. While I am there, the manager told me to go ahead if I was comfortable to take the cats/kittens out of their cage and handle them and play w/them. She showed me where the notes are kept pertaining to each cat and if they are skittish or nervous and maybe I shouldnt handle those until I've had more practice and exposure. Anyway, the 6 that are there, are all fine.

DS went w/me one night and we played w/3 (one at a time, 20 minutes each) and there were still 3 left but I told DS we should get going. He looked at me like I had 3 eyes and said we can't leave until they all get equal play time. So 3 more cats, 20 minutes each, we were there over 2 hours. Didn't seem like it at all tho.

And in the few weeks I've been going, 2 have been adopted. :thumbs up

I go on Wednesdays so we'll be there tonite. There is one, tiny kitten who is so relaxed, he lies on his back in his bed in the cage and when you walk by he tries to grab you, so he is always first to play. :D

14+kitties July 7th, 2010 05:12 PM

:grouphug: Thank you :grouphug:

Jim Hall July 7th, 2010 05:22 PM

every bit is a help when i was able to be at the cattery often i would pick one of the frightened ones and sit by him/her evry day with some catnip and treats i found after a few days they would get a lot more comfortable

NoahGrey July 7th, 2010 05:26 PM

A big thank you and for volunteering with the cats. Most of the times, volunteers just want to walk dogs, and the cats oftened get the cold shoulder. Without volunteers, shelters would have a hard time running.

driver8 July 8th, 2010 10:00 AM

I volunteer at a shelter too, in the public areas. Whenever I can, I make time to go in the back and cuddle the cats that aren't out for adoption yet. It is so very rewarding. A little bit of love goes such a long way for these animals.

Plus you handling them and getting them used to human contact makes them more "adoptable" and will make it easier for them when they do find a forever home. :)

Dog Dancer July 8th, 2010 10:01 AM

How great that you are doing this for the cats, and enjoying it also. Every bit helps the sweet souls.

chico2 July 8th, 2010 10:29 AM

You obviously picked the right man:thumbs up
:grouphug:to both of you for caring and making caged cats lives a little easier:cat:

BrownEyedGirl July 8th, 2010 01:36 PM

And last night, I was finally able to hold "kippy". He's been very nervous. He'll come out and play but wont really let you pet him. I picked him up and loved on him and he PURRED. OMG I almost got teary eyed.

NoahGrey July 8th, 2010 01:44 PM

aww...one of the best sounds on earth is a cats purr...in my opinion anyway!

14+kitties July 8th, 2010 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;935285]You obviously picked the right man:thumbs up
:grouphug:to both of you for caring and making caged cats lives a little easier:cat:[/QUOTE]

chico - In this case DS for BEG is her son. She's doing a wonderful job of teaching him right! :thumbs up

chico2 July 8th, 2010 03:35 PM

Oh,I see:laughing:so then she has a wonderful son,mom did good:thumbs up

BrownEyedGirl July 8th, 2010 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;935437]Oh,I see:laughing:so then she has a wonderful son,mom did good:thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Thank you - I sure try hard!

Frenchy July 8th, 2010 05:26 PM

good for you BrownEyedGirl !! :thumbs up not only are you helping these cats right now but , by visiting and playing with them , you make them better cats (more socialized) easier to adopt out. :thumbs up good job !