Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Hijacking threads (and other stuff) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5542)

trescanis July 14th, 2004 12:14 AM

Hijacking threads (and other stuff)

Re the "red spots on tummy" thread......

In over 14 years of being on dog lists/boards and also being an Administrator on two (both breed specific boards with well over 2200 members) and Moderator on several, I have never seen a response from a Mod to a poster as the one luckyrescue made to justncase. What you said is what you are supposed to refrain from (at all times) and ask other posters to refrain from. Incredibly snide and most definitely should have went to Private Message. I don't think I need to provide exactly which post it was, I believe you know.

Luba, simply because a person has had dogs longer than another DOES NOT mean you "know" more. Don't even go that route. And then to mention personal details is waaaaay beyond crossing the line. It was a personal hit at someone. Cruel and juvenile. You mentioned something about a maturity level that you had reached that another poster Aggie had not. You showed your true maturity level by saying the things you did.

You are consistently passive aggressive. ( [img]http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/welcomeani.gif[/img] .... [img]http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/dry.gif[/img] .... [img]http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/ranting3.gif[/img] )

Look at the times of your posts, it's almost as if you were watching and waiting. [img]http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/yeahright.gif[/img] Your replies to posts are minutes apart! I'm amazed you have all the time for posting combined with all the dogs etc you have saved! Yup sarcasm, but you tend to do [B]ALOT[/B] of patting oneself on the back. " I helped, I helped, and thus I know. " What [B]EXACTLY[/B] is your background, with dogs that is, that gives you the qualifications to give out advice on training and behaviour issues? < this question has no sarcasm intended

Yup, sometimes people get the best of you (generic you) and you (again a generic you) strike out....I did it myself to someone here my third (?) time posting here. I immediately dropped it. I received a PM from the moderator telling me I went beyond what I should have, but that didn't matter because I already knew I had and wasn't going to respond to that person no matter what was thrown at me. You chose to keeeeeep responding. Have you not learned anything about how to deal with those types of people that need to have the attention upon themselves, no matter WHAT the situation? You might want to perhaps look within for that question/answer, as well as out. <again, no sarcasm intended.

And last but not least...why do the moderator and admin continue to allow threads to be hijacked??? Direction is needed there.

ALL said not in a Private message ( as some of these comments could have been ) because it seems this is the way this site is run.

Cactus Flower July 14th, 2004 02:21 AM

This is the first message board I've been to, so I don't know how things are "supposed" to be run. I just wanted to say that I haven't seen anything here that would make me not return. I have marvelled at how overheated things have gotten, but I expect that in most any public forum with so many different positions being voiced. If it is different on other message boards, again, I wouldn't know. I have seen more information than anything else on this message board, so to me it is all worth it.

So we've had members criticizing members, and now former moderators criticizing moderators.....

Hey, if I don't want to read any of it, I can just move on to another thread, right? And if I am interested in the drama....I can read read read! lol

All in all it's been enriching, as I've learned a great deal in just a short time.
I've said it before, but it bears repeating: So many diverse opinions are fascinating to me- yours included ;)

chico2 July 14th, 2004 06:35 AM

Trescanis,while I have to admit there is a certain bond between "regulars"and I do care when people whom I know are wonderful people,get trashed for their opinions,we are not always right in all circumstances.
But a Forum is a Forum,nobody here is a certified expert,personal experience and views,some more than others,is what a Forum is all about and it can get heated.
This Forum always,welcomes"newbies" we can all learn from other peoples experiences,on the other hand,there are many alarming posts and if Luba or anyone else feels their is a potential"bad"owner,she will give often unwanted advice,hence the arguments.
We are all different,to some leaving a dog chained outside or in a crate for several hours is ok,after all kids have priority :rolleyes: to others including me,a pet is very much a familymember,I would not chain my kids,nor my dog/cat or put them in a cage.
But that is my opinion and we are all here to give our opinion,not to placate an owner.

Lucky Rescue July 14th, 2004 10:24 AM

I'm sorry if you disapprove, but "justincase" has consistantly posted criticism here in many threads, particulary over the fact that we tell people with critically ill, or DYING pets to take them to the vet, and has done so since joining this board. Yet, not once has he/she ever replied to one these posts - just waits until someone else does, then comes a with long and critical post, with no help or information offered.

In fact, the advice that we should have told someone who has a dog with a ruptured disc that "maybe it's a twisted muscle" is downright dangerous.

And sorry again, but I find someone like this telling me how my time would be best spent to be very "snide" and rude.

Edited to say thread in question is now locked. I can hardly read every word of every post on every thread. If you dislike what is being said, please report the post so I will see it!!

Luba July 14th, 2004 10:41 AM

Passive aggressive LMFHO! Thats hillarious!

Trescanis since you seem to be oh the weath of knowledge having been a moderator on other boards and such for 15 years, tell me why is it then that you don't offer your advise more? :D

trescanis July 14th, 2004 04:17 PM

[QUOTE]Trescanis since you seem to be oh the weath of knowledge having been a moderator on other boards and such for 15 years, tell me why is it then that you don't offer your advise more?[/QUOTE]

1.) Because I spend 10 + hours a day working.

2.) Because I am not a Vet. or Vet.Tech. I will rarely answer health questions. Unless the exact same experience has happened to a poster's dog that has happened to mine or a dog that has been boarded with me.

3.) There have been a few times when I could have posted about behaviour or training issues, but a few already had. I felt no need to add yet another post that said "I agree". What would be the point?

Luba July 14th, 2004 05:41 PM

And you're on here why then? To just merely instigate things?

Cactus Flower July 14th, 2004 05:44 PM

*Gets popcorn, settles into seat*

Luba July 14th, 2004 05:47 PM

Nah Cactus I'm done with this one who just wanted to stand on a soap box and blurt out nonsensical jabber!

It never fails someone will point fingers at someone giving advise when they do little to lift a finger to help themselves!

Enjoy the popcorn my friend but I don't do psychotherapy, which is what some of these people need :D

trescanis July 15th, 2004 12:11 AM

[QUOTE]And you're on here why then?[/QUOTE]

I'm here because I realize I can always learn something new. Could be a different "remedy", a different point of view, etc.

[QUOTE]Nah Cactus I'm done with this one who just wanted to stand on a soap box and blurt out nonsensical jabber![/QUOTE]

How did I know you would take it that way?? [img]http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/g.gif[/img]

[QUOTE]It never fails someone will point fingers at someone giving advise when they do little to lift a finger to help themselves![/QUOTE]

[img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif[/img] I explained myself in my earlier post in what I thought was simple terms. Tell me what you are confused about and I will try to simplify it, even more.

Kona Dawg July 15th, 2004 02:38 AM

I feel I've proven myself as not the type to pick fights, or add to the drama.
I do however agree with what Trescanis is trying to get across. Too often I have also witnessed alot of B.S. practises on this forum. In no way am I saying it is any better/worse than some others I have been on. The vast majority of us here truly believe that animals/pets are extremely important, and something to take very seriously. I feel we should all make a consious effort to keep this forum clean and drama free. If you do not agree with someone, take it to pm
don't go bashing them in a public thread. I guess what I'm trying to get across here is to hold the same decency for others, as you would like applied to yourself.

- Chris

TalonsMa July 16th, 2004 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=Kona Dawg]I feel I've proven myself as not the type to pick fights, or add to the drama.
I do however agree with what Trescanis is trying to get across. Too often I have also witnessed alot of B.S. practises on this forum. In no way am I saying it is any better/worse than some others I have been on. The vast majority of us here truly believe that animals/pets are extremely important, and something to take very seriously. I feel we should all make a consious effort to keep this forum clean and drama free. If you do not agree with someone, take it to pm
don't go bashing them in a public thread. I guess what I'm trying to get across here is to hold the same decency for others, as you would like applied to yourself.

- Chris[/QUOTE]
That's a great point, and I wish everyone felt the same way.

LavenderRott July 16th, 2004 06:08 PM

You know, your right. One of the other forums I belong to is breed specific and with more then 11,000 members (yes, there really are that many) and I am forever pussyfooting around the obvious there. It is, however, a fabulous place and I love it there.

It gets exhausting coming here day after day to find posts like, "my dog has bloody poop and won't eat, what should I do?". Polite answers like "please take your dog to the vet" are responded to by "I can't afford it and would like to fix it myself". One guy even argued with us about going to the vet until the dog was dead!

Yes, some of us are blunt. Yes, some of us can be rude on occassion. Yes, we all (those of us who have been around for a bit anyway) care more about the animals then the people who own them for the most part. But since we have been here for a while, well, I guess you are just going to have to except us for who we are.

Lucky Rescue July 16th, 2004 07:07 PM

trescanis, you were warmly welcomed here and told your training advice would be most welcome. I haven't noticed you offering any helpful advice on that forum.

In fact, most the people complaining seldom offer advice, just criticism of those who DO offer it. I don't really need to offer to help people get homes for their pets, I have enough on my hands, but I do it for the sake of the animals.

And it's just possible that some people here - who are NO smarter than you - just might possibly have a little more life experience, due to age, which may colour our answers a bit. Yes, we may get a little impatient after reading about the umpteenth animal in pain, vomiting, bleeding, lethargic or comatose and the owner will not take it to a vet. Or the countless animals being dumped because of moving, having a baby, no time, dog got too big/isn't trained, cat wont' stop having kittens, etc. Or about people who want to kill a dog because they didn't bother training it.

Here's a question that needs answering. This is just one of hundreds of similiar ones we see here - an animal suffering and not being taken care of. Anyone?
[URL=http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5558]Here[/URL]

Luba July 16th, 2004 07:12 PM

Interesting LR, I left that thread for others to answer since I've been deemed rude among other words. I've noticed those who are so boldly critical of us haven't lifted a finger to tap one word there!

Thats so typical in life. The ones that complain are never the ones to 'do' anything.

trescanis July 16th, 2004 08:43 PM

[QUOTE]trescanis, you were warmly welcomed here and told your training advice would be most welcome. I haven't noticed you offering any helpful advice on that forum.[/QUOTE] [B]AGAIN[/B] with the snideness. Oh my, what did I do to deserve this hostility (passive aggressiveness no less) from yourself and Luba....Oh, now I know. I said something you didn't like that started other people talking about how unfair it is to be personally picked apart in threads, and how juvenile it is to tell nameless faceless people other posters personal information. People agreed that it is unfair. Hmmmm, I won't speculate as to your motives/reasons as for "coming down" on me. It's obvious.

You, as well as Luba need to stop only reading and seeing what you want to. Please go back and read my posts explaining why I don't respond to EVERY thread. Oh but yes, you said you don't have the time to read all posts. So, *sigh* I will copy and paste what I said earlier : 1.) Because I spend 10 + hours a day working.

2.) Because I am not a Vet. or Vet.Tech. I will rarely answer health questions. Unless the exact same experience has happened to a poster's dog that has happened to mine or a dog that has been boarded with me.

3.) There have been a few times when I could have posted about behaviour or training issues, but a few already had. I felt no need to add yet another post that said "I agree". What would be the point?

What the heck are you not getting??

Luckyrescue, like I said to Luba in my above post I say to you, "I explained myself in my earlier post in what I thought was simple terms. Tell me what you are confused about and I will try to simplify it, even more."

I have a full life, 2 different careers, a mate, critters, new home and property, I'm a member of my breed club and the parent club, I assist with all- breed and breed specific rescues when and where and however I possibly can.... I also am on 2 breed specific boards (oh yea, I know of what you speak LavenderRott) and a couple of other non breed specific boards. What I'm getting at is I don't know [B]why[/B] you have both pointed out that I'm not helping!! I help where I can, when I can. What the heck are you not understanding??? I [B]have[/B] a life outside of this board for pete's sake!

I [B]searched[/B] for a Canadian dog message board and found this. There are some great people here, through some posts you can FEEL the love and kindness. And then there are those that I can also feel the love and kindness through, but who [B]have excellent information but a horrible delivery.[/B]

Holey moley, if I got pissed at someone every time they disagreed with me..... I think you both should take a good hard look and listen around yourselves and at this board. Seriously [B]listen[/B] to what posters are saying about this.

wAggie July 16th, 2004 10:19 PM

*gives trescanis a warm and embracing hug*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ from 3 rascals. ;)
(Stamped - Aggie, Choco, & the Ho)

Luba July 16th, 2004 10:35 PM

Oh I see someone's decided to watch Dr. Phil and heard the term 'passive aggressive' used once or twice! LMFHO

There's absolutely nothing passive about my personality. I tell it straight and thats what people don't like. People shudder to hear the truth and do little to correct it, turn their backs and want others to fix their problem. THOSE are passive aggressive personality types. In fact many of the people that post their questions on here for example...this is mock but certainly we've seen many fitting this sort of description:

"Oh help my dogs sick, I don't know what to do. He's been vomiting for a week and I can't take him to the vet. I don't have a vet to go to and I don't have any money. My husband left me, I have a broken arm and the truck is outta gas. Don't tell me I have to take my dog to the vet, you don't know my life blah blah blah blah"

That is a true description of someone being passive aggressive!

When you try to use big words that you dont' understand it makes you look oh so stupid!

wAggie July 16th, 2004 10:41 PM

Correction: "passive aggressive" is not a "dr. phil" term, it's a term used in psychology.

pick up any psychology textbook and you will see. :)

Luba July 16th, 2004 10:43 PM

I was making a reference point Aggie. I didn't say Dr. Phil defined the term, it's been around since the 40's. Are you wanting to start something again here?

trescanis July 16th, 2004 10:45 PM

[QUOTE]*gives trescanis a warm and embracing hug*[/QUOTE]

Right back at 'cha! Thank you!

[QUOTE] those are trolls ... and we should never feed them. [/QUOTE]

Ohhh so right! Cut it off. snipsnipsnip. Simply don't feed them and they will move on. I've seen quite a few trolls that opened boards and [B]thought[/B] they would have a following. What an utter waste of money and time!

wAggie July 16th, 2004 10:45 PM

reread what you typed, and see if it sounds a bit ... skewed...

[QUOTE=Luba]Oh I see someone's decided to watch Dr. Phil and heard the term 'passive aggressive' used once or twice! LMFHO[/QUOTE]

Luba July 16th, 2004 10:47 PM

I know exactly what I typed Aggie. If you wanted clarification you should ask not make assumptions.

wAggie July 16th, 2004 10:47 PM

*DOH*

i'm missed that... guess you can tell i don't read all that... :o

wAggie July 16th, 2004 10:48 PM

my bad, luba.

i just dont see the humour in what you were trying to say... :rolleyes:

NOT trying to play in dirt, i'm attempting to clear up miscommunication, but whatever.

Luba July 16th, 2004 10:54 PM

I don't believe there is any miscommunication. Things are actually very clearly stated, though even with clarity the content can be wrong.

Many people often throw around terms such as 'passive aggressive' without knowing what they're talking about.

wAggie July 16th, 2004 10:57 PM

I believe trescanis is informed on what the term "passive aggressive" means.

but then again, i'll let her/him speak on own behalf. :)

Luba July 16th, 2004 11:03 PM

Well why stop now Aggie, you've only just started with your own sly remarks. Keep going if you like, it's certainly revealing a lovely side to your personality.

trescanis July 16th, 2004 11:05 PM

Wow. I'm typing my post and along comes Luba. Yikes. You really [B]are[/B] on here watching and waiting like I said earlier aren't you?

Sweetie, your [B]ENTIRE[/B] post is passive/aggressive. You simply prove the point by constantly and continuously putting other people's posts down that you don't approve of. What haughtiness! Sometimes in a "sweet" way, other times being sweet/confrontational.

[QUOTE]"Oh help my dogs sick, I don't know what to do. He's been vomiting for a week and I can't take him to the vet. I don't have a vet to go to and I don't have any money. My husband left me, I have a broken arm and the truck is outta gas. Don't tell me I have to take my dog to the vet, you don't know my life blah blah blah blah" That is a true description of someone being passive aggressive!

When you try to use big words that you dont' understand it makes you look oh so stupid![/QUOTE]

OMG. You have absolutely [B]NO[/B] clue of what you are talking about Luba. S'okay. Do the google search that you use to find all your links for your helpful advice, and type in Passive Aggressive. Take the plunge and really find out what it means.

Dr Phil??? That's all you have to come back with???? You must be a fan.