Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   This is a question and I am issuing a warning! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84391)

lawrie August 6th, 2013 01:11 PM

This is a question and I am issuing a warning!

I'd like to hear your opinions on this and hopefully help you protect your cats from a similar tragedy.

The tragedy: I am living in Cairo (lecturing in politics) and feeding the cats in my street. The problem is that the local authorities are poisoning the cats in my neighborhood in order to keep their streets 'clean'.

Two weeks ago I adopted a beautiful and sweet two-year-old grey Persian cat that I fed for three months in the streets and called Dani. I quarantined him in a friend's apartment - before he could come to live with me and my five other cats - and fed him and spent my nights there.

I really never had such a lovable cat: never!

Four days ago I got him vaccinated: Felocell and rabies. The vet persuaded me to get him micro-chipped too. The cat was so gentle but struggled a little. The vet sedated him. Dani never recovered.

I got him home. He collapsed on the floor, panting and whimpering. That didn't stop until he died.

I called the vet. He claimed that Dani was too sensitive to the anesthetic. He injected an 'antidote'; and 36 hours after the sedation I had to drag Dani dead from under the bed. I couldn't believe he was dead: it took me an hour to see it.

In all that time the vet didn't examine him once: neither before the anesthetic - no blood test, no physical examination - nor before he died.

The worst of it all is: 1. the vet's wife is the local exterminator and she has killed countless street-cats that I have fed, 2. Dani is one of the 20 street-cats that I have saved from her in the last four years, and 3. the vet recommended the microchip; he made a profit from an operation that should have been postponed to minimize the risk of complications; and he murdered Dani: my dream cat!

It's like they are running two businesses: the wife poisons the streets cats; the husband murders the survivors!

The vet claims that Dani had an underlying problem and that we didn't have access to his 'history': so why didn't he blood-test dani and examine him before the operation or give him less anesthetic?

Question: is the vet to blame?

What kind of a vet gives a gentle cat a fatal dose of anesthetic to insert a microchip?

Warning: make sure the vet blood-tests and examines your cat before he sedates or kills him or her.

I blame myself for not protecting my cat from the vet! I will never ever take a risk like this again: dying because of a microchip you won't ever need

I blame myself too because I tried to make a refuge for Dani - surrounded as we are in this world of sold-out psychopaths - and I couldn't save him in spite of all my love and planning

Koteburo August 6th, 2013 08:14 PM

This is truly heart breaking. I'm so sorry for Dani. I'm sure he was beautiful and like every cat most deserving of love and care.
So you live in Cairo, Egypt? I have to point out the irony of being now so fricking cruel to cats when in ancient times they used to worship them :(
Anyways back to Dani what kind of vet marries a cat poisoner? The kind that sees animals lime objects that provide an income.
Nothing can bring Dani back now however since you care for cats like I do start looking for groups of people that share those feelings and rescue cats. I can assure you people like you (and people like in these forums) are everywhere, even places that seem unforgiving and uncaring have gentle hearts that love them I have no doubt about that as I came to know rescue groups in Mexico with lots of people that put all their heart in it.
Find them on Facebook or online and when you do ask them about a decent, honest vet that doesn't see them as "things" to profit from.
Needless to say not to go back to that vet. No cat should die over a microchip implant.
I'm honestly so sorry about Dani. it sincerely saddens me. Don't blame yourself. You cared for him and you were both victims of negligence.
RIP little angel Dani :candle:

lawrie August 7th, 2013 01:11 AM

Thank you, koteburo

Thank you, koteburo, for caring enough to write to me. Your answer is so kind and clear-sighted. I feel so incredibly sad about dani - i can't think straight - because i love cats so much and i loved him in particular. He was so sweet-natured and i thought i'd saved him. i got so close. But you are so right: the vet diced with dani's life because he wanted the micro-chip money. So it's not just the rich people in the villas that are buying the most expensive cats and abandoning them because they don't have feelings left - or the neighbors that don't like to see cats in the streets because it disturbs their sense of order and devalues their properties - or his wife the exterminator - who are killing the cats in the street: it's the greed and ruthlessness of the vet himself. Both he and his wife see cats as a business: i should have seen that before. That would have saved dani. But thank you koteburo for caring and for seeing this so clearly

Longblades August 7th, 2013 07:21 AM

I'm very sorry for Dani's passing. We've had similar experience with a feral (probably a dumpee and not born in the wild) that we fed all summer outside, live trapped in Fall and then he turned out to have wet FIP and we had him euthanized. I know how attached you can get in what seems like seconds.

Unless you go to another Vet for a necropsy you are never going to know for sure what killed Dani. Maybe he'd already got a small dose of the street poison. Maybe the whammy of all his vaccinations and the sedation at once was too much for his system. I'm not sure what Felocell is but I have to separate the rabies from all other vaccinations and do them a couple of weeks apart. And I've not had a cat sedated to get a chip but then I haven't chipped my really wild ones.

I'm sorry.

marko August 7th, 2013 08:44 AM

I'm so sorry to be reading this lawrie - please accept my condolences.

you are NOT to blame though - you are an Angel with a big heart that unfortunately tried her best with people that don't care as much as you do. You couldn't know that in advance though.

The world needs more people like you, please don't beat yourself up.

:rip: sweet dani :candle:

Barkingdog August 7th, 2013 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=marko;1060418]I'm so sorry to be reading this lawrie - please accept my condolences.

you are NOT to blame though - you are an Angel with a big heart that unfortunately tried her best with people that don't care as much as you do. You couldn't know that in advance though.

The world needs more people like you, please don't beat yourself up.

:rip: sweet dani :candle:[/QUOTE]

I wish we had a little button .

lawrie August 7th, 2013 04:46 PM

Thank you so much, Everyone, for your kind and wise words!

Thank you so much, Everyone, for your kind and wise words! I am grieving so bad for dani: but what can we do? I fell into a trap just when I thought we were safe on the other side. I cry about that every day. But I'll never ever ever let a mercenary vet like that loose on a cat again: I promise you all that! This is the time to be strong