Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Preparations for Tomorrow's Protest (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8573)

pitbulliest October 22nd, 2004 09:06 PM

Preparations for Tomorrow's Protest

Hey guys..any last tips or comments on how to answer questions posed by media people, etc?

I don't want to end up saying something stupid, or answering something i'm not sure about..so if anyone has any tips..let me know..OH, and what are some of the questions that might be asked? I really want to be prepared.

Thanx and see you guys there! Don't be afraid to approach each other. I'd hate to think I'm standing next to one of you and not even know it lol..

Sheriffmom October 22nd, 2004 10:59 PM

GOOD LUCK ALL :angel: Wish I could be there!! But have to work :( I was however, just in Ottawa, and had lunch sitting next to a bunch of Politico's. Hubby and I had a VERY loud conversation about the proposed ban, and all the negative things about it :p . Hope they were listening!!
Hope all goes well.... I know you'll do well Pitbulliest!! Here's to catching some of the right ppl's attention :thumbs up

Sheriffmom October 22nd, 2004 11:01 PM

PS About the Media.... I'd make certain they know MBryant is refusing to meet with the Vet Assoc. Dog council etc...
And I thought up a new sign.... the website addressess for Anti-ban sites. And the web address for the Petition. That way, maybe ppl who cant make the demonstration and see the address on the news, or ppl walking by are aware of the websites, and might sign. Also, those sitting on the fence might be able to do some research from anti-ban perspective. Even if one person signs the petition the sign will have done it's job!!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs October 23rd, 2004 01:15 AM

Good luck! I was going to attend but can't go :(

I would tell people about the famous Pitties -- Our Gang's Petey, Wheela (the dog that saved numerous people and animals from a flood), Popsicle (top drug detection dog in the US), and RCA (Alaska's first hearing ear dog) for example. Then there's the famous Pit Bull owners; Madonna, Alicia Silverstone, Steve Irwin, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Helen Keller, etc.

seeker October 23rd, 2004 06:22 AM

alking with the Media make sure you are certain if you make a statement . If you are pressured into a reponce but are not certain of the facts just say " I am hear to listen and learn from the speakers or {experts} I suggest you do the same . The media loves half truths and will use them make no comments that require an explanation because they generally will not include them in the report you will read the next day . Subjective comments like I love my do because he is cute does not cut it . If someone says the stats say these dogs are dangerous , tell them the stats on dog bites are very vague incomplete and sometimes skewed to make an argument in someones favour .
An example of this is in the death by breeds stats I seen . The group all "pitbreeds" under one catagory and then break down the other dogs to specific breeds . Another half -truth like I mentioned on The John Oakley show yesterday morning .

LavenderRott October 23rd, 2004 06:53 AM

A couple of interesting points you might want to remember: Canada has no database set up for collecting dog bite or dog fatality statistics. You really have no idea what the dog bite statistics are because of this.

There have been two inquests in the last 5 years. Neither panel suggested a breed ban, both suggested holding owners accountable for their dogs. If you get interviewed, ask the reporter why Mr. Bryant is looking to breed specific legislation instead of following the suggestions from the inquests.