Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for humans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Gravy - How To!!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19178)

Copper'sMom September 1st, 2005 04:40 PM

Gravy - How To!!!

I have a roast beef in the slow cooker with potatoes and carrots...mmmmmm. My only problem is, I can't make gravy!! Anyone have any easy tips?? I have the Bistro stuff but it doesn't always work for me!(I don't cook often!) I like a thicker gravy if possible.

Anyone have any tips/hints on making a good gravy?? Can I use the left over water and juices from the crock pot??

glasslass September 1st, 2005 07:34 PM

I always brown the roast first, adding just a bit of sugar to get a really good dark brown color in the juices. When the roast is done, skim the excess fat off. Whisk some flour and cold water together and add to the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil and let simmer a few minutes so you won't have a raw flour taste. Season with salt & pepper if needed. If you don't have as dark a color as you'd like, add some Kitchen Bouquet. Gravy is easy. I can't give an exact amount of flour. I just mix some up and add gradually to the pot til I get the thickness I want. Don't mix it so thick that you get dumplings when you whisk it into the hot liquid! Yummmm! What time is dinner?

mona_b September 1st, 2005 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=Copper'sMom]Can I use the left over water and juices from the crock pot??[/QUOTE]

Yes you can.I have a few times when I have used the Crock Pot.

What I usually do is pour it in a sauce pan.I simmer a bit.Just to reduce a bit of the liquid.I use Corn Starch,it thickens quicker.I also put in a bit of butter as it simmers.I put some of the corn startch in a small bowl.I add some cold water.As I slowly drizzle and stir with a whisk.I only put in a bit at a time.I let it simmer for a bit.If I want it thicker,I add more to it. :)

Prin September 1st, 2005 10:36 PM

How do you get enough gravy for a whole roast when there is a very small amount of juice to use? That's always my problem!

Daizy September 6th, 2005 02:12 PM

Beef stock for more liquid

Add beef stock - I think you can buy it, if you haven't made your own [I]or [/I] there's the stuff in powder form that you could use. If you don't tell anyone, they won't know.

You could always add a little beer or red wine to it too!

Daizy September 6th, 2005 02:15 PM

Oops, just noticed the date - I'm sure your dinner was lovely.

Prin September 6th, 2005 10:12 PM

Beef stock? I have the concentrated liquid kind... It's not too tasty... Very salty... Is the powder better? What about soup? I've heard some soups make good gravy too? Maybe the OP's dinner is over, but these tips will last me a lifetime!! :)

Daizy September 7th, 2005 09:24 AM

Traditional Gravy Recipe

Try this link:

[url]www.deliasmith.com/recipes/r_0000001025.asp[/url]

It is for traditional gravy.

If you just go to [url]www.deliasmith.com[/url] and put gravy in the search you will come up with lots of lovely variations.

Delia Smith is the diva of English cooking - her recipes are to die for.