Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Crafts (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Does anyone knit? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63042)

quincymycat May 27th, 2009 03:13 PM

Does anyone knit?

:cat:All the threads seem to be about scrapbooking. I tried but just could not get into that. Too bad because there are so may cute little things to put into them along with your pictures and so on, but....
I knit. I may not be great at it, but I give it all I got. Last year I found a craft book on pet sweaters and made a bunch all different sizes. They may not as cute as some of the ones from PetSmart, but I bet they are warmer and last longer! All my kitties - yes, I said kitties, wore them in the winter when I had to take them out for vet visits or groomer visits. It made a hit when most people saw them as pretty much no one had seen cats in sweaters. I guess the fact that I have extremely laid back cats helped. Anyone have any other projects to share?:cat:

BeagleMum May 27th, 2009 04:27 PM

I can knit but have never attempted a sweater. I have mainly stuck to hand towels (the ones that you strap onto a stove), dish cloths and scarves. I have crocheted a few blankets too. I can also do cross stitch as well but I haven't done one of those in a very long time. I did a picture of 2 baby chimps, took me forever. I scrapbook too though. Do you have the pattern for the kitty (dog) sweater? I would lover to try making one for my dogs. If I start now, I might get it done by winter.

onster May 27th, 2009 05:43 PM

mmm i dunno if this counts but I *tried* to knit a month ago. Bought an instructional booklet that come with a pair of needles (and other things which i dont know the use of). bought some yarn (though after i started trying to learn i realized i shouldve got a less floofy/ special yarn and went with something plainer so I could see what I was doing better).

Lemme say those instructions were so hard! I didnt understand anything lol. Couldve used better diagrams :rolleyes:. Sooo now my ball of yarn resides on one of my shelves.

:shrug:

id love to see pictures of what you've done though :D Kitties in sweaters sounds cute...but I think my cats would kill me!

mollywog May 27th, 2009 06:03 PM

I knit!! But I would say it's a "on-again/ off-again" kinda thing :laughing:... I go hard at it for a few months, then put it away for a few more months. Makes it hard to accomplish anything! :o I have knit a few baby sweaters, lots of toques, and scarves... even a purse!
[B]Onster[/B]- the best way to learn is to get someone else to show you, or watch some online tutorial videos. Just search "Learn to knit videos" and there should be some to help you get started. Don't give up!!!

glasslass May 27th, 2009 06:40 PM

I used to knit years ago. I was into so many things that I just decided to quit and concentrate on others things that were demanding my time. Gave all my needles & other paraphanalia to my mom who was a whiz at it. Now that she's gone, I have all her stuff, books, yarn, etc. I was just thinking the other day that I'd like to have something to work on in the evenings when hubby is watching one of his guy programs. I can endure anything if I have something to do with my hands and can tune it out. A pet sweater pattern could give me the push to get started that I need.

glasslass May 27th, 2009 06:42 PM

Just have to add that the outfit Den-Den is wearing in my avatar was her work!

Dee-O-Gee May 27th, 2009 08:43 PM

I knitt-left handed though. :D

When my girls where in figure skating, I knitted tons of circular sweaters. The last one I did (for myself) took me almost 2 years :yell: but I finally finished it a couple months ago. :thumbs up

It was a cable knit pattern. :shrug: The sleeves are little short cause I was so anxious to finish it but other than that it turned out o.k. :shrug:

14+kitties May 27th, 2009 09:27 PM

My mom tried teaching me numerous times while growing up. She was a marvelous knitter. Mom did her own patterns and made her living at it for a few years when the factory she worked in closed down. I can remember growing up if the hydro went off we used to be amazed because even in the dark those knitting needles never stopped. Thank you for letting me remember those moments. :cloud9:
I can do the basics I think. Problem is I am left handed - like klmccallum - so my knit two, purl one turned out to be purl two, knit one. Every stitch was backward!
I did teach myself how to crochet. Don't get a chance to do much of that at the moment. I also have done cross stitch, Japanese Embroidery, scroll sawing, podging, etc, etc......... Love crafting. My absolute favourite though is my woodburning.
Would love to see your knitting patterns. Maybe they can be converted to crocheting? I would also love to see a variety of crafts in this section.

quincymycat May 29th, 2009 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=BeagleMum;784048]I can knit but have never attempted a sweater. I have mainly stuck to hand towels (the ones that you strap onto a stove), dish cloths and scarves. I have crocheted a few blankets too. I can also do cross stitch as well but I haven't done one of those in a very long time. I did a picture of 2 baby chimps, took me forever. I scrapbook too though. Do you have the pattern for the kitty (dog) sweater? I would lover to try making one for my dogs. If I start now, I might get it done by winter.[/QUOTE]

Hi BeagleMum. The pattern is from a Patons leaflet, number 939, called "a dog's life". It has very easy (my style) to much more complex patterns. I am not sure how to go about posting the pattern here - not too computer savvy, I'm an oldster. If you checked at Michael's they may still carry it.
On my first try with the sweater pattern, I was not too sure how to do the legs, so I ended up crotcheting the length...it worked alright! You are more than welcome to a copy of the pattern if you want. If you trust me. you can PM your address and I can send a photo copy of the entire leaflet to you. I don't know if that is exactly legal in a copyright way, but oh well. Deb

NoahGrey May 30th, 2009 01:28 PM

I have always wanted to learn how to knit. I would love to make my own winter hats, mittons and scarfs in the winter. I am a big winter person. But I also would love to be able to make bedding for the shelter cats at work.

Is there a how to easy kit or is is pretty basic?

ACO22