Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cat peeing in house (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2625)

trm5482 December 26th, 2003 12:12 AM

Cat peeing in house

I have a four year old long haired domestic cat named MoJo. I found him when he was only 6 weeks old and it seems that he was very badly mistreated before I found him.

The first year he was with me we lived with two other cats and he got along with them fine. During that year he was both neutered and declawed. THen for the next year and a half we lived by ourselves. He seemed to be depressed to where he would cry even when I was home with him. The next year we lived with two other cats and a roomate and he got along with them even though they didnt' like him much at all.

This past August we moved into a new apartment and it is just him and me. He has been very depressed and crying all the time. He has now started to pee places outside of the litter box. If i leave any clothes on the floor and leave he pees on them. I just got home from going out of town and he had gone into the coat closet and peed on one of my suitcases that was on the floor in there. Another thing he has started to do is poo on the mat in front of his litter box. I have one of those mats that helps get the litter out of his paws when he steps out and he just poos right there in front of it. I am very confused because sometimes he pees and poos in the litter box. I dont know what to do. I was going to get a puppy for christmas but I decided to put that off becauase I didn't know how MoJo would react.

Can someone please help me and tell me what they think is going on or what I should do?

Thanks,
Tracy

mona_b December 26th, 2003 12:20 AM

Well first of all I suggest that you take Mojo to the vets to get checkedJust to rule out anything physical.It does seem by the sounds of it he's missing the feline company.Have you thought of maybe adopting a kitty?

Luba December 26th, 2003 04:19 AM

First of all DO NOT get a dog at this time.

I've heard of cats doing this when they are depressed so to speak or have trauma or anxiety in their lives.

Try something new that kitty would enjoy
New toys or something as a treat to eat

LavenderRott December 26th, 2003 10:45 AM

Peeing outside the box can also be a symptom of a urinary tract infection. You might want to take little kitty to the vet for a check-up.

Lucky Rescue December 26th, 2003 01:25 PM

This cat has gone through a tremendous amount of change and upheaval in his life, and cats do not like change and can get very stressed by it.

Agree that the first thing to do is get him to the vet for a complete checkup.

If everything checks out, then we can give you some suggestions.:)

Spoiled December 30th, 2003 08:54 PM

Could it be cat seperation anxiety? You say he does it when your away?

trm5482 December 31st, 2003 02:44 AM

I am not sure what it is I am going to take hiim to the vet and if the vet says that nothing is wrong with him then I am going to see if he will put him on feline antidepressants. I love my cat and don't want to give him away but I can't take much more of this. He ruined my $600 couch has peed all over the carpet in my apartment that I rent and lets not even talk about the clothes. I want to try everything I can giving him away is the very last resort and I don't want to have to do that!