Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   They are CRAZY!!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13190)

lilith_rizel March 17th, 2005 09:55 AM

They are CRAZY!!!

My mom and cousin called last night and said that they were going to spend the night in Nwe York City! They are crazy... THere is so much crime there, it just makes me want to cringe. I don't see how they would want to spend a night there!

sammiec March 17th, 2005 09:58 AM

Have you had the chance to go to New York?

It's actually a wonderful city, very beautiful and LOTS of action. I spent an entire week there and did not have ONE encounter with anything negative. I had a great time there and have not one bad thing to say about that city, JMHO! :) I even took the subway while I was there!

lilith_rizel March 17th, 2005 10:08 AM

I never went to NYC. I have friends that lived in the suburbs, and they said that there was always a shooting or robbery going on somewhere in NYC. Plus the news stories and such. Maybe that just happens in a bad area of NYC? I myself you love to go to see the sites, but I'm still a little weary on spending the night. I was raised a country girl. Don't do well in big cities. Right now I am living in the suburbs of DC. The town has about 12,000 people in it, and I'm not doing all that great. I can't find my way around! I get agitated at the grocery stores because of all the people..... I miss my 3,000 person hick town, with nothing but bars and banks. LOL

happycats March 17th, 2005 10:22 AM

Don't worry, I have been to New York many times, (we love to shop there!)
in Buffalo, Clayton, cheektowaga, tonawanda (sp). spent many week-ends in many of the suburbs in the state of NY, and have never had a problem, Usually when they see the Ontario liscence plate, they are curious and ask alot of questions about Canada (one person actually asked me if I knew a William Jones who lives in Toronto, it was a friend of his :rolleyes: ) I guess some people think Toronto is a small hick town LOL.

I think it will be a wonderfull experience for them, they just have to use a bit of common sense when navigating in the city.

Copper'sMom March 17th, 2005 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=lilith_rizel]I was raised a country girl. Don't do well in big cities. Right now I am living in the suburbs of DC. The town has about 12,000 people in it, and I'm not doing all that great. I can't find my way around! I get agitated at the grocery stores because of all the people..... I miss my 3,000 person hick town, with nothing but bars and banks. LOL[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean!!! Big cities make me dizzy just because they are so busy!!!!

Don't worry about your Mom and cousin! They'll be fine!!!!

lilith_rizel March 17th, 2005 10:26 AM

I think the main reason why I think they are crazy is becaus e there are so many people. My hometown is tiny. Seriously, you can drive from one end ot the town to the other in under 5 minutes, and the speed limit is only 25

lilith_rizel March 17th, 2005 10:27 AM

I'm not worried about them, I just think that they are nuts.

Lizzie March 17th, 2005 10:35 AM

NYC is great! I've stayed in a hostel there and even it was a safe place. The core is made up mostly of tourists--all people who just want to have a look around, shop and enjoy the sites!

sammiec March 17th, 2005 10:37 AM

Nothing to worry about!!! If anything it will be an experience of a life time! ;) I'm sure you would even might enjoy it!! LOL

Any large cities have higher crime rates then smaller towns. The town I grew up in was 4800 people. Now I live in the suburbs of Toronto (3 million people) The city I am in has 350, 000. I like to think that I have adapted well. :p With a city as large a New York (LARGE pop.) there will be a much higher rate due to the amount of people, that's all.

BoxerRescueMTL March 17th, 2005 10:38 AM

ooooooh shopping!!!! fun! i go to nyc about once a year and get my fix, but i much prefer the country to live in (right now i'm in the burbs but not for long!).

heidiho March 17th, 2005 10:45 AM

Crime is everywhere,i personally love New York...

jackieb March 17th, 2005 10:58 AM

I would like to go to visit wouldnt fancy living there as im not a city girl. My dad took his wife for a long weekend they loved it. I guess its like any big city there is crime everywere!

CyberKitten March 17th, 2005 11:05 AM

I would not worry about them. I love NYC (Remember that slogan). There was a recent survey of the cities with the most crime and I know NYC was not at the top. Washington, DC and Detroit are the top two in terms of murder.

I don't blame them - given the opportunity, I'd take in NYC too!

meb999 March 17th, 2005 11:27 AM

I'm not a huge fan of NYC -- not because of the crime, but rather the smell!!!

I've only been once, during a torturous heat wave. The garbage men were on strike and the whole city REAKED! There were rats and cockroachs everywhere...ewwwww. Plus I couldn't stand all the honking....it drove me nuts!!!
And I was starving so my bf bought me one of those hotdogs at a stand...I was sick all night!!! HAHA -- New York is not my favorite place in the world!!

I should probably go back and give it another shot though....

Karin March 17th, 2005 01:32 PM

I use to live on Long Island when my father flew for Pan Am. I loved going into the city whenever posssible and have been back many times over the years.

Now, Miami scares the mud outta me.....

mastifflover March 17th, 2005 04:01 PM

Do not worry New York is great and not nearly as dangerous as people say. I have been there quite a few times and have never encountered any problems.

BMDLuver March 17th, 2005 04:13 PM

lol

[QUOTE=Karin]Now, Miami scares the mud outta me.....[/QUOTE]
Lol Karin, we got lost in Miami and I spent an hour driving around until I found someone who looked somewhat safe to ask for directions. We were actually looking for an italian restaurant that was recommended to us called Mama Gilda's. We did find it and I must say it's probably the best food we ever had.

I haven't had the pleasure of NYC but would love to see the sights someday.

jiorji March 17th, 2005 04:33 PM

to each their own. Let them enjoy their happyness.