Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Kitten health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   nostril scabs on kitten (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65443)

budgrrl September 6th, 2009 04:06 PM

nostril scabs on kitten

my 3mos old kitten has scabs around his nostrils. he has had these from the time i got him.
i first thought it was from rough kitten play with his siblings, but now that i have had him for a month and a half, he still has them. i clean them with moistened qtips, rolling it over the scabbed area, but they seem to always return.
i have taken him to see a vet for his first set of shots, and is due back for his boosters in a couple of weeks. she did not seem too concerned and suggested that he was perhaps still learning to properly groom himself and scratching his nose.

do you think this is what is causing it, or could it be something else?

thanks!

growler~GateKeeper September 6th, 2009 06:28 PM

Does it come off red/pink on the wet qtip or just brownish black? Is there an actual healing "wound" on the nose underneath the scab?

If it's brownish black it's just "dirty nose" discharge :D, my siamese used to get it all the time & she was perfectly healthy. It's kinda like the normal "sandman" discharge from the corner of the eyes.

budgrrl September 6th, 2009 08:01 PM

it comes off brownish/blackish in colour - there is no wound underneath.
some days he manages to clean himself up pretty well, other times he needs a lil help with the qtip.

good to know - thanks growler!! :D

growler~GateKeeper September 6th, 2009 08:04 PM

As long as there are no other symptoms ie running weepy eyes or nose, sneezing, coughing etc :thumbs up

budgrrl September 6th, 2009 08:50 PM

nope, no other symptoms :D and he did have a vet visit for shots and she was not too concerned with it - she said maybe he had yet to learn to groom himself properly. i took that to mean he was scratching his nose as he was washing his face, but perhaps she meant that he just wasnt washing his own boogies away LOL

luvsmallfurries September 6th, 2009 11:42 PM

Just another thought? Are you feeding him wet food? One of mine likes the full facial experience with his wet food and I'm forever cleaning dried cat food of his bean! It comes off looking like boogers.....(:loser:!)

Stacer September 7th, 2009 12:04 PM

Feline herpes could also be a possibility. When one of my cats was a kitten she would get scabs on her nostrils, the vet said it was herpes and that in most cases the kitten will "outgrow" the virus.

budgrrl September 7th, 2009 01:36 PM

i dont think its the wet food - he is a pretty dainty eater...unless, of course, he is trying to sneak some of kiila's food when he thinks no one is looking! ha!
i did read a bit about feline herpes - it says other symptoms are sneezing and eye goobies too...i don't think i have heard him sneeze yet at all since i have had him, and his eyes are fine.

his nose goobies seem to take a few days to re-appear after i have cleaned them.