Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tree squirrel with aspiration pneumonia (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51911)

Barb D April 30th, 2008 08:41 AM

Tree squirrel with aspiration pneumonia

Hi, This is a lot of firsts for me. I am a new rehababor for squirrels and first time in a chat form.( so please forgive my mistakes) I have 4 babies @ 3 1/2 weeks old. One developed aspiration pneunomia. He has been to the vet and is on smz-tmp 2 times per day. He eats well most feedings and is having bowl movements and urinating. I have a vaporizer going in his room and am keeping him warm. He still clicks ( but not as bad as first) but he began coughing a little. Can I do anything else to help his recovery? The vet gave him a 60/40 chance. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Barb
P.S. the others are doing well.

cpietra16 April 30th, 2008 09:13 AM

there's a squirrel board that has rehabbers on who answer all questions...
[url]http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/index.php[/url]
good luck

badger April 30th, 2008 09:18 AM

I have no experience with baby squirrels but it seems to me you and the vet have done everything possible to optimize his recovery. The only thing that comes to mind is that you should not handle him any more than is absolutely necessary. And don't put the vaporizer too close to him, he only needs a whiff.
Coughing is a good sign, isn't it?

Barb D April 30th, 2008 09:42 AM

I'm hoping that coughing is a good sign . The vaporizer is quite a distance from the kennel and the room is smaller so there is a fair amount of humidity in the room( I occasionally turn it on and off so I don't over do it). I wish I knew what the signs were of improvement or worsening were.

Dr Lee May 1st, 2008 12:36 PM

I am sorry to hear about your squirrel. :pray:

Signs of worsening and improvement.... The coughing sign can be unpredictable. Sometimes it indicates improvement and sometimes worsening so it is worth monitoring but should not be the only sign to monitor. The main signs are going to be overall appearance and attitude. His alertness, appetite, activity and hair coat condition will all mirror his internal health. If his pneumonia is worsening, then his demeanor, appetite and activity will worsen. The other abilities to monitor would be those at your veterinarian: repeat radiographs, blood work, pulse oximeter, etc...

A few notes: squirrels have a high metabolism. It is important to make sure that he is eating and drinking regularly. If he is not, then regular supplementing and nursing care every few hours will greatly improve his chances. Also does your veterinarian or other local veterinarian have a nebulizer? Nebulizers are basically vaporizers that also have antibiotics in their humidification. The treatments are usually fairly inexpensive and can noticeably help.

Best of luck.:pawprint:

guarddiva3 September 7th, 2012 11:34 PM

hello
My baby squirrel is making a clicking noise but he does not have any discharge from his nose nor is breathing from his mouth but is breathing fast. What do you suppose it could be and what could he take?

hazelrunpack September 8th, 2012 12:02 AM

Do you have any wildlife rehabilitation groups near you, guarddiva3? I don't know about squirrels, but in gerbils or hamsters that clicking noise usually means pneumonia. :(

There is a National Wildlife Rehabilitators Assn that can get you in touch with a group in your area that has experience with squirrels. The office is only staffed in the mornings as I recall, but you can leave a message for them at any time: (320) 230–9920 Not sure how often someone is there to check it, but there is also a contact email: [email]NWRA@nwrawildlife.org[/email]

I recently called them about a groundhog and they were very accommodating. They returned my call very quickly.

Good luck! And keep us posted, pls!

guarddiva3 September 8th, 2012 09:32 AM

This morning I woke up and was gonna give him some fluids and food and take him to the vet for some antibiotics and get checked out but I found him very limp and struggling to breath as if he was trying to trow up. I dont now how it could of happened or what happened but a minute or so later.. he died in my hands :cry::cry::cry::rip:

hazelrunpack September 8th, 2012 11:31 AM

It did sound like he had pneumonia, guarddiva3. Nothing you could have done :grouphug: They're just so little and vulnerable at that age. :(

:candle: squirrel