Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   changes in dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36771)

angeldogs February 17th, 2007 01:27 AM

changes in dogs

all you raw feeders.how long did it take to notice a difference in your dogs.like energy,strenght,size and all around general health.

Scott_B February 17th, 2007 07:25 AM

I cant really say as I started Rosco when he was a young pup. That said, he never smells doggy. Hes in great shape. His teeth are crazy white, and hes been healthy.

It all depends really. I don't consider raw a miracle food that will turn every dog into a super healthy, top notch specimen. But I do believe its a great starting point. Nutrition is what fuels their bodies, so it cant hurt to provide the best nutrition possible. But it can only help so much. Genetics from previous generations play a roll, as well as environmental factors. Ever dog is different and will all respond differently. Also, its kinda like preventive maintenance. periodontal disease is a major problem in dogs. Especially small ones. Keep those teeth & gums healthy and they run little risk of problems.

angeldogs February 17th, 2007 08:47 AM

I've noticed a differents in at 1 meal a day for 6 days.was just curious as to the difference in the animls people found between the 2 ways of feeding.

barkley21 February 17th, 2007 11:16 AM

Like Scott, we switched our dog to raw when he was still a puppy (4 months old). He still is a puppy now (10 months old), so it's hard to say that I've noticed a difference in energy levels because puppies are quite energetic to begin with. However, we did notice other differences when we switched to raw. When Barkley was on kibble, he had numerous issues with digesting his food and had everything from UTI's, colitis, diarrhea, and he also had infected ears and itchy paws. When we switched to raw, the quickest change we saw was his poops. He had perfect stools from day one. After a couple of days on raw he stopped chewing his paws and his ears completely cleared up and we haven't had to so much as clean them ever since. I agree with Scott that raw isn't some magical solution that will make every dog perfectly healthy, but IMO it's the best foundation block on which to build optimum health.

angeldogs February 17th, 2007 05:25 PM

well jags happier more energy and i think he's put some weight on.i put his bark collar on him last week.tried to put it on him today and it needs to be adjusted.so he also looks better.i just thought it would take longer to see a difference.i like it.

erykah1310 February 17th, 2007 05:42 PM

I only switched mine over a few months ago ( have to dig up in the archives to know for sure) I noticed the energy change in approx 2 weeks and their coats were shinier also...
It took a little while for breath and teeth, but now they are white as a puppies teeth. Cant complain on breath anymore either.
Raw isnt a miracle food by all means but it does prove to have some great benifits thats for sure. I cant imagine ever going back to kibble again.

technodoll February 17th, 2007 06:15 PM

well our girl's been on raw since we got her (age 3 months), she's 15 months old now. we've never had to clean her ears, she's never had a UTI or food allergies or any health problems at all (her kibble-fed sisters are not like that!). she has a beautiful thick shiny coat and sweet breath. she's still growing, very slowly but surely, which is GOOD because she's genetically not very gifted in her rear legs, we suspect she will have bad hips later on. a balanced raw diet and appropriate supplements can greatly reduce joint damage and pain, so we're :fingerscr for a better outcome than if she had been kibble-fed.

our boy was raw-fed as a puppy, then put on a home-cooked diet, then raw again, then kibble for a few months... he didn't want to eat anything :eek: and had massive poops and yellow teeth and gunky ears on kibble, he was getting soooo skinny and had no energy... finally we said "enough is enough" and last August we put him on a 100% raw diet, force-fed him meals appropriate for his size and he gained 20 lbs of pure muscle in a few months :highfive: haven't had to clean his ears since, teeth are white again, coat is silky soft and hardly any shedding, he has a LOT of energy, no gas and nice small firm poops (finally!), etc.

some see results/changes after a few weeks, others can take a couple of months. but really expect less shedding, more energy, more muscle-mass, nicer breath, less doggy odor, a LOT less poops, less allergies, etc etc.

show us some before and after photos! :crazy:

angeldogs February 18th, 2007 11:12 AM

i know it's not a miracle food.but feeding only 1 raw meal a day.and the rest kibble.i just didn't think i would see that much of a difference.when i pick him up he feels a little heavier.but more he feels more solid not so soft feeling.softer coat.it's ben like that with ben also.i don't think theres been that much of a change to see the difference in some pics.i see it because i'm always keeping an eye on him.

Karen D February 19th, 2007 02:41 PM

Hi

Just read the posts and was wondering what kind of pup food are you feeding your pup???
Where can I get it. And do they have this diet for cats?
Thanks,
Karen

Scott_B February 19th, 2007 02:46 PM

hmm, not sure who this is addressed to, but this thread is about a raw diet. And it is available for cats. :thumbs up