Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   a sleeping beardie?? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31600)

pug lover October 10th, 2006 05:31 PM

a sleeping beardie??

1 Attachment(s)
i was just wondering if there was anyone else out there with a bearded dragon who is right now

i know mine is and this is her first time i guess i am looking for any tips on how to waken her to make sure that she eats something even if its just a bit

she was at the vet today and he confirmed that she was bernating (spelling?) and that this was normal for beardies to do anyone else have a sleeping one

doggy lover October 10th, 2006 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wouldn't say that they sleep. Mine becomes less active and sleeps more than normal. You should be cutting back the hours of light that it gets, so its more in like the hours of sun we get, I never go lower than 10 hours. Make sure it is still getting enough warmth, I use a heating pad only in the fall\winter months at night so he has somewhere warm to sleep when his lights are off. Hope this helps you out a little. Here is a pic of mine he is about 5 years old now.

Sneaky October 10th, 2006 06:25 PM

Hibernating you mean.
Yep, lots of reptiles do this.
You dont need to wake it to feed it.
It will be just fine and will come out of hibernation
when its ready too.
I have heard keeping them warmer will prevent this,
but that preventing hibernation can cause serious
health problems and reduced longevity.

pug lover October 10th, 2006 10:08 PM

she was at the vet today and he gave me some very good ideas of how to deal with my sleeping beardie

this is the end of her first year so we have gone to the vet a few times for no reason at all

he is getting used to us but he likes the fact that i am on top of what is happening with her he is expecting my next visit will be about a clutch of eggs that she will have left me but that luckily wont be until the spring

pug lover October 31st, 2006 07:20 AM

just wanted everyone to know that spud is finished with her bernation and is back to playing barbies and eating like a piglet:thumbs up

guess she making up for lost time

Prin October 31st, 2006 02:37 PM

:D lol I never knew they hibernated before... Learn new things every day.:)

Boubou November 3rd, 2006 11:05 PM

My 4 year old beardie is a little more lethargic than usual, but I can't say she is in a state of bernation (atleast not yet). Her appetite is still there and she would eat a hundred crickets if I would let her!

pug lover November 4th, 2006 12:05 PM

give her an extra bath or spray do not over feed or change her feeding pattern

hope your beardie doesnt fall asleep :rolleyes:

do you have a pic of your beardie?