Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Which cat food is best for people with $$ issue? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44984)

matangers September 27th, 2007 11:44 PM

Which cat food is best for people with $$ issue?

For people with $$$$ issues, Kirkland is the best choice. (Copy from Kirkland Signature thread on dog food)

What about CATS?!!

My friends switched to Kirkland from Science Diet for their beagle puppy. So, they wonders about the cat food, too. They just are on tight budget after he got shoulder injury that prevent him from work (heavy duty) since 2 weeks.

Oh, they bought Kirkland Signature from Costco.. have membership to Sam's Club.. remember, we're from US. heheh.

I found the food grade from other site. Have you heard about that to grade the dog food by yourself? Because Kirkland is A grade compares with F grade on Science Diet.

matangers September 28th, 2007 11:23 PM

Wow.. 29 views and NO POST at all?? Anyone?!!

rainbow September 28th, 2007 11:45 PM

Do you have the ingredient lists for Kirkland Signature dog food and cat food? I tried searching but can only find Diamond and Diamond Naturals. :shrug:

TeriM September 29th, 2007 01:50 AM

[QUOTE]Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, calcium sulfate, calcuim carbonate, methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrae, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, mangaous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid[/QUOTE]
I believe those are the ingredients on the kirkland cat food. It is probably not a bad choice for those with money problems. I would recommend going with a food like Orijen or Felidae though mostly because cats really don't eat that much so it is easier to give a high quality food for not much price difference.

rainbow September 29th, 2007 02:04 AM

If those are the ingredients they are better than Science Diet.

chico2 September 29th, 2007 08:07 AM

I heard about the Kirkland Dog-food beeing of ok quality and checked out the catfood,definetly not the best.

LavenderRott September 29th, 2007 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=chico2;483670]I heard about the Kirkland Dog-food beeing of ok quality and checked out the catfood,definetly not the best.[/QUOTE]

I must admit - I have not done near enough research on cat food as compared to dog food. I do know that my idiot cat LOVES his Meow Mix and just snubs his nose at any expensive foods I try to feed him. However - he really likes the Kirkland Cat food so we will be switching him over this weekend. Having read the ingredients of both the Meow Mix and the Kirklands - I have to say the Kirklands is far superior! :D

rainbow September 29th, 2007 06:50 PM

Kirklands is much better than Meow Mix and glad your kitty approves. Have you tried giving him Orijen? They had sample packs when it first came out. I would look to see if you can find them in your area as I haven't heard of any cats that don't like it. If you check the ingredients ([url]www.championpetfoods.com[/url]) you'll see the quality. :pawprint:

matangers September 29th, 2007 09:21 PM

Thank you so much. I don't have cats but my friend just asked about cat food. So, I told her about Orijen and Felidae. She asked about Sams Club Cat food which I am not sure if you heard of it?? :shrug:

want4rain September 29th, 2007 09:25 PM

whats the deal with Meow Mix? my sisters gray princess is the same way.

-ash

rainbow September 29th, 2007 09:58 PM

[QUOTE=want4rain;483808]whats the deal with Meow Mix? my sisters gray princess is the same way.

-ash[/QUOTE]

I can't recall the ingredients in Meow Mix but I know alot of the brands available at the supermarkets have sweenteners in them so some cats end up being the equivalent of human "junk food junkies". :rolleyes:

rainbow September 29th, 2007 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=matangers;483805]Thank you so much. I don't have cats but my friend just asked about cat food. So, I told her about Orijen and Felidae. She asked about Sams Club Cat food which I am not sure if you heard of it?? :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Is Sams Club cat food the same as Kirkland Signature? I can only find the ingredients for Diamond Naturals when I do a search on Google even if I type in Kirkland Signature ingredients. :shrug:

If someone has the ingredients for all three brands (i.e. Kirkland Signaure, Sams Club and Diamond Naturals) could you please post each one so I can have a copy saved for the next time this topic comes up? Thanks. :o

Jim Hall September 29th, 2007 10:34 PM

Well I fool D U i mix a little meow mix in with natures varierty or some thing a bit better sort of like a sauce

Du does not like veggies no matter what i do with em

litetech September 29th, 2007 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow;483812]I can't recall the ingredients in Meow Mix but I know alot of the brands available at the supermarkets have sweenteners in them so some cats end up being the equivalent of human "junk food junkies". :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Meow mix and cat chow and others like it are basically McDonalds for cats. Super bad.

matangers September 30th, 2007 03:09 AM

Okay, I will go to Sams Club and Costco to get the cat food ingredients and post here or other thread. It's a good topic.

rainbow September 30th, 2007 03:28 AM

Get the dog food ones too. :thumbs up

LavenderRott September 30th, 2007 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=matangers;483805]Thank you so much. I don't have cats but my friend just asked about cat food. So, I told her about Orijen and Felidae. She asked about Sams Club Cat food which I am not sure if you heard of it?? :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Sam's Club is onwed by the same company that owns Wal-Mart. Since Wal-Mart sells such high quality stuff as Ole' Roy dog food - somehow I have a hard time imagining that their cat food would be any good. And maybe worse then Meow Mix.

Frenchy September 30th, 2007 08:51 AM

I think you guys will make me switch to the cat food from Costco ... I was there twice last week and didn't check it out. Is there more than one "flavour" ? If so , is there one better than the other one ?

I did check it out last year and wasn't too impressed with the ingredients. But frankly , my opinion about animal food never was : the more you pay the more you get. And I did upgrade the dog's food lately , didn't impressed me either , hasn't done ANYTHING more for them.

luvntzus September 30th, 2007 01:02 PM

I think Felidae and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul are just as good of choices for people who have a tight budget.

chico2 September 30th, 2007 01:30 PM

My cats loved Chicken Soup,but my pet-food place stopped selling it:yell:
Now,2 cats like Orijen(I suspect Rocky gets loose stools from it))one likes Solid Gold...but of course canned i their main meals.
Frenchy,I was not impressed by Costcos Cat-Food and I do not like to buy cat-food in HUGE bags,they just don't eat enough dry food.

rainbow September 30th, 2007 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=luvntzus;483996]I think Felidae and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul are just as good of choices for people who have a tight budget.[/QUOTE]

They are both better choices than what's available at Costco but they are more expensive than Costco. Diamond Naturals and Kirkland Signature are the best choices for people that can only afford what's available at all the supermarkets.

Love4himies October 1st, 2007 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=luvntzus;483996]I think Felidae and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul are just as good of choices for people who have a tight budget.[/QUOTE]

I am feeding my brood of foster momma and 7 kittens, Felidae Cat and Kitten, canned because they eat so much and this is the best value of high quality food I could find. The kittens are supplimented with Kitten Wellness canned as well as dry, which is too expensive for me to also be feeding momma. For $1.89 I get a large can at Global Pet Foods (soup can size, they eat three cans a day) which is a darn good deal.

Frenchy October 18th, 2007 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=TeriM;483602]I believe those are the ingredients on the kirkland cat food. [/QUOTE]

You're right TeriM, (I checked it out last year and I tought it had by products, either I read wrong or they changed the ingredients) ) I went to Costco ealier and bought a bag. It seems good enough for us. :shrug:

rainbow October 19th, 2007 01:24 AM

If those are the ingredients then it's a good choice for those on a limited budget.