Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lost Cat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42426)

jillmarie July 10th, 2007 11:41 AM

Lost Cat

1 Attachment(s)
We lost our cat Shadow on June 16th....He is a black, longhair, beautiful indoor cat who happened to get outside and got very frightened and he ran. We have been walking our neighbourhood constantly, put out over 200 flyers in mailboxes, called the Humane Society in Oakville and Mississauga...and still nothing. We are still hoping our Shadow will come home. I have 3 kids who miss him terribly and we need all the help we can get in getting Shadow home again. We live at Winston Churchill and Bromsgrove Road in Southwest Mississauga. If anyone has seen him or knows of Shadow, please contact me as soon as possible.

badger July 10th, 2007 12:52 PM

You could try posting on these websites.

[url]http://www.animalrescuenetwork.org/[/url]

[url]http://www.canadastrays.com/default.asp[/url]

[url]http://www.rapt-lfpn.org/en/accueil.html[/url]

[url]http://content.petfinder.com/classifieds/staticPageServer.cgi?template=classifiedHop.html[/url]

[url]http://www.flealess.org/lostpets/[/url]

Are you visiting the humane societies, or simply calling? I recommend that you go there every few days instead of phoning, shelter people are always so busy and your cat may be overlooked - unless he's microchipped or tatooed or still wearing his tag.

Don't assume he's gone any great distance, particularly since he's an indoor cat and won't have many street smarts. He'll be doing a lot of hiding. If your neighbours have sheds or garages, ask them to check that he isn't trapped inside (this happened to one of my cats; luckily, he managed to escape after a week).

You could fax his picture to all the vets in your area as well, in case he is brought in.

There's still hope, don't give up.

jillmarie July 10th, 2007 02:34 PM

jillmarie

Thanks for your help...we have looked everywhere we can possibly think...everyone in the immediate neighbourhood knows we are looking...we call humane society daily..and yes, i really should go and take the pictures and look myself...i have only been once, but they reassure me they keep on top of these things. We have Shadow's litterbox on the front step, in case he follows his scent. I know he is terrified, and we are keeping our hopes as high as possible at this time. Thank you for your help. We appreicate every little bit of encouragement we can get! Jill

chico2 July 10th, 2007 03:59 PM

Jillmarie,I know the Oakville Humane Society would be sure to contact you,but that is a far trek for your Shadow.
I am 99,9% sure he is close by your house,just does not know the neighborhood since he is an indoor cat.
He could be hiding somewhere safe in the daytime,afraid of cars,strange noises etc..it's always best to look at night,call his name,shake a treatbag etc..Don't give up,I am sure he is in your neighborhood somewhere.:pray:

jillmarie July 18th, 2007 05:53 AM

Shadow

We have found him!!!! He was about 1/2 mile from home, very very frightened, very sick...but, with good medical care, and alot of TLC, we hope he will be on the mend soon. He was away from home for 31 days, long long days. Thank you to everyone who cared enough to read my notice, and to those who sent along words of encouragement.

chico2 July 18th, 2007 06:34 AM

Jillmarie,thank's for giving me a happy ending story first thing in the morning:thumbs up
That's wonderful news!!!

shirley1011 July 18th, 2007 09:29 AM

:cat: I am so happy for you....I know the heartache you went thru.
Happy Day!

Love4himies July 18th, 2007 09:43 AM

That is wonderful news! Please update us on how you found him. Your tips may help another family find their loved one.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Jim Hall July 18th, 2007 09:50 AM

yeahhh !!!!!!! im glad you found him lol i bet he aint gonna do that again but with a cat you never know

jillmarie July 18th, 2007 12:16 PM

Shadow

Even though there were days we did not want to phone anymore, because of the pain that the answers brought, we called every single day to the humane society and asked if there was any news for us....We continued to walk the streets, call his name, offer food, but in the end, I believe it was the persistence with the Humane Society and giving them pictures of Shadow that brought him back to us. The animal control officer recognized Shadow's picture when she got the call to pick up a stray, and made the connection and called me immediately. I thank everyone who cared, everyone who wanted to help me. Shadow is a very very sick boy, with alot of liver issues now, and we can do nothing now but wait and have faith in the medical care he is receiving. He ate a little bit on his own this morning, which I am told is a huge huge sign, so we wait and pray for him. He is such a beautiful boy, and I hope he recovers, but in the end, if he can't stay with me, I know I found him and will have that peace in my heart that I could say goodbye. I will keep you updated...Thanks again.

SIL July 18th, 2007 01:53 PM

I'm happy to hear that he's back home and on the way to a recovery. It's nice to have some good news for a change :cat:

badger July 18th, 2007 03:48 PM

Poor Shadow, you are lucky to have found him in time. Please come back with updates, :fingerscr he'll be OK.

Another lesson for people who abandon their cats outside. This is what happens in the vast majority of cases, suffering and a lonely death.

Eat, Shadow:pray:

chico2 July 18th, 2007 03:52 PM

Jillmarie,I am sooo sorry he is sick:pray: he'll recover..:fingerscr
Who knows what he lived on for 31 days or worse yet what he did not eat:sad:
Is his liver-problem related to not getting any food??
Whatever happens,he is back home with the people he loves and who loves him:cat:

Carlyg July 18th, 2007 04:40 PM

I'm so happy to hear this story. :pawprint: :thumbs up

(the fact that he is home, not sick)...but after 31 days, I'm sure he will get better.

jillmarie July 18th, 2007 07:16 PM

Shadow

Our vet tells me that because shadow was outside for so long, he did not eat, he became very severely dehydrated, and he may have eaten something toxic to him, all of which have damaged his liver. We found out this afternoon he also has some brain damage, which probably will be permanent. He is still very lethargic, tired, scared, weak...you name it..but i am still pulling for my boy to get well....Doc says he has about 50/50 chance of survival right now....For the sake of everyone's kitties..lets remind ourselves how precious they are, and love love love them every single second and keep them safe. Thank you again for everyone who has showed their concern for my Shadow.

growler~GateKeeper July 18th, 2007 09:11 PM

:grouphug: I am so glad to hear that your boy was found alive :fingerscr & :goodvibes: for speedy recovery we are all :pray: for a happy outcome

rainbow July 19th, 2007 02:34 AM

I am very happy to hear that Shadow was reunited with you. I hope he continues to get well. Sending lots of good wishes for his recovery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Love4himies July 19th, 2007 06:49 AM

I am so sorry to hear he is sick, but him starting to eat on his own is a good sign.

Please keep us updated on his condition.

jillmarie July 20th, 2007 07:10 AM

Shadow

Shadow has progressed very well, after many bumps in the road, and he is, I am very very happy to report, coming home today, finally....after his 31 days away from home, and then 4 days in hospital...we know we have a rough road ahead, but we are looking forward to each day we have with him again. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts...miracles do happen!

chico2 July 20th, 2007 07:26 AM

Jillmarie,I am certain he'll feel so much better once he's back home,but don't be alarmed if it takes him a while to adjust to beeing loved again.
Patience and loving care,works wonders:lovestruck:
and I agree,Miracles do happen sometimes,certainly true with Shadow:cat: