Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chewer (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4451)

Spoiled May 20th, 2004 01:30 PM

Chewer

What dog toys would be good for a destructive Golden Retriever? We already have gotten him a Kong, but any other ideas about strong but fun toys for him to play with would be appriciated.

Goldenmom May 20th, 2004 01:41 PM

Can you explain more when and how your Golden is destructive? This topic was talked about in another post, about getting marrow bones from the butcher. I like these and give them to my 2 Goldens.

Heather

kibbles May 20th, 2004 01:55 PM

maybe u could give it one of those huge raw hide bones?

Goldenmom May 20th, 2004 01:58 PM

Kibbles, rawhide bones are not good for dogs. They can choke and they can also cause digestive problems. You never, ever leave a dog alone with one, or you could come home to a dead dog.

Exerpt from a vet website:

* Rawhides are good "babysitters" when you want peace and quiet but a dog should NEVER be left unattended with one because of the danger, when it softens, of choking or of swallowing too large a piece and having it either scrape the back of the throat or esophagus on the way down, or of causing an intestinal obstruction before it has a chance to digest. There are people whose dogs have died from eating rawhides! Dogs that swallow bunches of smaller pieces tend to vomit them all over your floor in the middle of the night when their stomach is empty--very annoying. Some dogs are allergic to them and/or the chemicals used in processing--this can cause itchy skin, ears, and/or face. Some countries supposedly use an arsenic-based preservative when processing them--a scary thought. Some dogs consume so many pieces of rawhide that they get diarrhea--the body has a limit to how much or how fast it can digest them. If you have more than one dog, rawhides are often considered such "prize" possessions that they may induce a serious territorial fight between rival housemates. In a nutshell, I have seen many more medical problems in my practice from rawhides than from any other type of chew toy.

Heather

mona_b May 20th, 2004 02:06 PM

Spoiled,you got another dog??????

Post some pics... :D

Knuckle bones are also great.Along with soup bones.

Spoiled May 20th, 2004 02:44 PM

I don't own this dog, but I help out with him sometimes. I'll see if I can get some pictures of him for you.

He is destructive with any toys he has. I chewed the leg off a squeaky toy that wasn't even a day old, and right now he is tearing (yes, basicly tearing) up a plastic bone. He's making it into chunks. :D

He also has chewed on carpet, gloves, shoes, and anything else that he can either get from the top of a table, or the floor. He's such a strong dog that he can ruin something very fast. :o

Lucky Rescue May 20th, 2004 05:19 PM

Spoiled, if this is the untrained, under-exercised young dog you mentioned before, the answer is the same. He needs lots of exercise, attention and training.

His behavior is not unexpected in his situation, and if the owners are still expecting him to "learn to control himself", they really should consider giving him to someone who has the time and desire to give him what he needs.

Spoiled May 20th, 2004 06:20 PM

Now that I'm getting to know him more, he really is a well trained dog. He got two long walks plus a two hour playtime with another energetic dog. He just chews whatever toy that you give him up. I need ideas for really strong but fun toys for him to play with.

Luba May 20th, 2004 07:16 PM

Black Kongs

Spoiled May 21st, 2004 11:00 AM

He had two black Kongs and one red Kong a while ago. Now he only has one. :o